Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 PM

102 posts, read 178,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcascaddan View Post
designer_genes:

Maybe I should stop following the news, but I'm part of the Patterson Park Neighbors group on FB and there have been a bunch of crimes the last couple months. A guy got randomly stabbed while chatting to his friend 2 blocks over from me on the edge of the park (right outside the Ellwood condos) around 9:30pm on a weekday - no motive, no previous interaction with the attacker, just a random walk-by stabbing. There have been several armed muggings of Johns Hopkins students walking home by a group of guys near the north edge of the park by Baltimore Ave and Patterson Park Ave. There was a shooting last week at Fairmount and N Curley. Those are the main things that make me feel uneasy - I've never been in an area where violent crimes like these were occurring anywhere close to my home. Other smaller crimes like car break-ins and theft I was expecting, but I've been told by long-time residents here to be mindful in the park and keep my phone out of site, because groups of kids have been known to hit people and take what they can. It just makes me uncomfortable; I don't really want to be in an area where I need to watch my back and shouldn't take my dogs out to pee at night in the park or avoid talking to strangers because they may be scoping me or my house out.
It's funny you mention those incident because I know about them too, but you are missing on some of the details and to me they make all the difference and are very important.

First, the attack on the Johns Hopkins student (one single incident) happened at COLLINGTON and FAIRMOUNT, not Baltimore and Patterson. It may seem like a detail for you but not for me. Baltimore is a city where a few street corners and boom you are in a very different environment then you were 1 minute ago. Butchers Hill near the elementary school and the north west corner of the park are very different areas, especially at night. I would not walk with my phone in hand anywhere in the city so definitely not in North Butchers Hill which is known for armed robberies. Then, Hopkins places shuttles for these students and employees who have to walk these corners at night, why didn't the guy use them?

Second, the shooting last week happened at FAYETTE and CURLEY, which is, again, different than Fairmount and Curley. I know it's only one block, but statistically it makes a difference. Such a shooting does not happen 2 blocks south close to the park, don't ask me why, it just doesn't. It's a safer area and gangs are not there, and cops patrol more.

So I agree that safety in Patterson Park is not it's best asset, but please don't make it unsafe in your mind because bad things happen in areas that are close, but different then yours.

Now that being said (breath in), I know a few people who live in the city in Mayfield, Hamilton and Lauraville who are very happy. They bought single family homes at a fair price (I think you are well within the budget). But again the "walk one minute and you're elsewhere" rule will apply there as well. It's Baltimore. These neighbourhoods have their little downtown area with usually a few restaurants and for example a grocery store and a pharmacy.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 01:08 PM

934 posts, read 1,062,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisDS View Post
It's funny you mention those incident because I know about them too, but you are missing on some of the details and to me they make all the difference and are very important.

First, the attack on the Johns Hopkins student (one single incident) happened at COLLINGTON and FAIRMOUNT, not Baltimore and Patterson. It may seem like a detail for you but not for me. Baltimore is a city where a few street corners and boom you are in a very different environment then you were 1 minute ago. Butchers Hill near the elementary school and the north west corner of the park are very different areas, especially at night. I would not walk with my phone in hand anywhere in the city so definitely not in North Butchers Hill which is known for armed robberies. Then, Hopkins places shuttles for these students and employees who have to walk these corners at night, why didn't the guy use them?

Second, the shooting last week happened at FAYETTE and CURLEY, which is, again, different than Fairmount and Curley. I know it's only one block, but statistically it makes a difference. Such a shooting does not happen 2 blocks south close to the park, don't ask me why, it just doesn't. It's a safer area and gangs are not there, and cops patrol more.

So I agree that safety in Patterson Park is not it's best asset, but please don't make it unsafe in your mind because bad things happen in areas that are close, but different then yours.
I appreciate that clarification. That does make a rather huge difference in my perception of these incidents.

Regarding the shuttle, I'm glad you mentioned that because you'd be shocked at the amount of people at Hopkins that don't know that after a certain hour, the shuttle will drop you at your front door. So when I hear stories of students getting mugged while walking home alone at night, it disappoints me knowing that it could have been avoided with just a small precaution.

Despite living on the northeast corner of the park - conceivably within walking distance of Hopkins (~25-30 min walk) - I drive to work because I know that most days I'll be going home after dark (that's the reality of lab work). But, I am always comforted knowing that the shuttle is an option if I need it.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:26 PM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
JHU does have the "cop boxes" with a security officer in the superman type phone booths spread out around the campus for that very reason.

The unfortunate reality with Patterson Park is because it is connected to some not so nice areas and therefore it is easy for people to commit crimes and fade into the woodwork of alleys, side streets, etc. Also, because of the wealth inequity its easy for some would be robbers to frequent the area to Fells Point and Canton Square because they know there are folks with money and or maybe drunk walking to and from these entertainment centers and it could be a quick score in terms of cash, cell phone, etc and a brisk walk back into obscurity inside the points north. Its hard to determine who is out to know good, who is simply walking through, waiting for a bus or just sitting on a stoop in a rowhouse district which is an advantage to many thieves especially if many residents seal themselves up in their homes at night which leaves the streets to the criminals.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:01 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,136 times
Quote:
Second, the shooting last week happened at FAYETTE and CURLEY, which is, again, different than Fairmount and Curley. I know it's only one block, but statistically it makes a difference.
Want something closer to Baltimore Street? Here are two, one at 35 N Potomac (corner of Fairmount), the other in the unit block of N Decker (between Baltimore & Fairmount).

Stabbing, assault reported near Patterson Park | Maryland News - WBAL Home

That whole area is unsafe from violence. I couldn't begin to tell you how much that area has changed since I was a kid growing up there.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Want something closer to Baltimore Street? Here are two, one at 35 N Potomac (corner of Fairmount), the other in the unit block of N Decker (between Baltimore & Fairmount).

That whole area is unsafe from violence. I couldn't begin to tell you how much that area has changed since I was a kid growing up there.
One of those two was a domestic dispute. Nonrandom acts of violence are a completely different animal.

I think to call the whole area unsafe is an exaggeration. Like I've said, I've lived in my place for almost 6 months now and I have never once felt unsafe walking around. Not once.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:10 PM

102 posts, read 178,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post

An assault is very very serious and it's wrong, but it's not a shooting, we were talking about a shooting. It doesn't make it any less serious but it's not the point I was trying to express.

The first incident on Potomac is domestic violence, or at least they all knew each others so it could happen anywhere.

I'm not saying that Patterson Park is a very safe neighbourhood, but trying to make it look like it's gang war outside and that nobody is safe does not help.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisDS View Post
I'm not saying that Patterson Park is a very safe neighbourhood, but trying to make it look like it's gang war outside and that nobody is safe does not help.
Exactly. And headlines/short blurbs on news stories are often misleading and alarmist. I often find that when I look into the stories further, the violence is a lot less random than it initially appears at first. Don't walk outside at night alone with your phone out. Pretty simple. A lot of the crime I hear about that happens near the park has to do with people targeting runners, who almost always have their headphones in and are completely unaware of what's going on around them.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:44 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,050 times
I'm not a big fan of Patterson Park not because of the crime but for other reasons. These "ova east places for white people" are becoming a haven for robberies. The city is averaging robberies somewhere around 80-90 a week. This is allot considering many of them are the "safe" neighborhoods. Now growing up in southwest Baltimore, I had no issues. But it's Baltimore and these things happen unfortunately. It doesn't matter where you live unless your in the woods of Roland lake.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
"ova east places for white people"
I don't know if you're referring to the park itself or the neighborhood, but Patterson Park the neighborhood is actually very diverse, with whites representing less than half of the population. Sure, there is a higher percentage of whites in Patterson Park than in Baltimore as a whole, but they are still not the majority here. Hispanics have a big presence. There is a Latin American grocery on the corner where I live. I would definitely say my block is majority Hispanic with blacks being the next highest and then whites. I'm pretty sure I can count the white people on my block on one hand. I really like that about this neighborhood. I love that on any given morning walking to my car, I can hear 3 different languages being spoken.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,136 times
Quote:
I really like that about this neighborhood. I love that on any given morning walking to my car, ...
... I find it still where I left it.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore