Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:57 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Have they actually started construction on any of these? It seems like the 414 Light Street was approved (or maybe it was just planned) almost 2 years ago. Why does it take so long for tall buildings to go up in Baltimore? In Chicago, almost immediately after buildings get approval, they go up. I'm sure there is a process, but it seems like they've been talking about these new tall buildings for years and whenever I'm back in the area, the Baltimore skyline still looks the same.
First, I'm not sure how an architect can get any serious work done on construction drawings until UDARP has weighed in. I'm not complaining abourt the panel; this might be a good thing.

Becasuse the changes that take place during the UDARP process are often quite substantial, my impression it that projects are brought to UDARP very early in development.

Secondly, storm water approvals are said to take forever.

None, the less, I think 414 Light Street is behind where people thought it would be. I'm not surprised that people are concerned. Personally, I would really like to see this building built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 10:28 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
I hope they build 414 Light Street since its been 40 years since we've gotten jaded with the skyline in its current form.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:27 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I hope they build 414 Light Street since its been 40 years since we've gotten jaded with the skyline in its current form.
I completely agree. That is my point too. Since I can remember as a kid (I'm in my 30s now), there hasn't been any real change in the Baltimore skyline other than the group of buildings in harbor east. It seems like they add a few low-mid size boxy buildings every couple of years, but anytime there is a proposal for a tall building that could give new life to the Baltimore skyline, it seems like it never happens. That was why I was specifically asking about the 414 Light Street, because that is a tall building that could really boost the skyline. I've been hearing about it for 2 years now, but haven't seen any evidence that anything is happening.

I have no doubt that the Under Armor buildings will go up, but I want to see a tall building that can bring new life to the skyline. There was a super-tall proposed/planned in the mid-2000s at/near the current Light Street location that looked beautiful on the renderings, but nothing ever came of it. Meanwhile much smaller cities like OKC and Austin have had huge buildings go up and a skyline boom over the years.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:35 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
I completely agree. That is my point too. Since I can remember as a kid (I'm in my 30s now), there hasn't been any real change in the Baltimore skyline other than the group of buildings in harbor east. It seems like they add a few low-mid size boxy buildings every couple of years, but anytime there is a proposal for a tall building that could give new life to the Baltimore skyline, it seems like it never happens. That was why I was specifically asking about the 414 Light Street, because that is a tall building that could really boost the skyline. I've been hearing about it for 2 years now, but haven't seen any evidence that anything is happening.

I have no doubt that the Under Armor buildings will go up, but I want to see a tall building that can bring new life to the skyline. There was a super-tall proposed/planned in the mid-2000s at/near the current Light Street location that looked beautiful on the renderings, but nothing ever came of it. Meanwhile much smaller cities like OKC and Austin have had huge buildings go up and a skyline boom over the years.
From what I've read on another site, they haven't secured financing for the project just yet. I think Light Street is having a similar issue. Both building have gotten final approval from UDARP.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:55 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,690,517 times
Quote:

The Hilton and 414 Water come to mind as fairly recent 20-30+ story buildings, along with the various Harbor East buildings, but no doubt getting 414 Light, 1 Light, 325 W. Balt., 300 E. Pratt, etc. off the drawing board is critical.

Last edited by bufflove; 01-31-2016 at 10:04 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 10:14 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I hope you are right, but I am somewhat skeptical. Do you have any inside information? If I knew anything about hacking, I would hack into the city permits database to find the ones that are being processed but not yet issued. Not that I would ever really do that, of course...
Not really just the Baltimore Business Journal. Both towers are pretty far along and have gone through more design than most other projects planned. I think both have a pretty good chance of breaking ground especially now with all the proposed developments in Harbor east and further down the harbor.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Financing secured for 414 Light St.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...er-harbor.html

Old 02-13-2016, 08:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Not really just the Baltimore Business Journal. Both towers are pretty far along and have gone through more design than most other projects planned. I think both have a pretty good chance of breaking ground especially now with all the proposed developments in Harbor east and further down the harbor.
I see apartment absorption rates falling far enough in 2017 to put a scare into the bankers. None the less, everything will eventually get filled up and and the city will finally show some decent population growth for a couple of years.

I still think that there is an outside chance for the number of Baltimore households in the 2020 Census to match the 268,000 1950 figure. If that happens, the entire 30+% population loss since 1950 will be because of drastic reductions in household size.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:57 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,843 times
'Ultra-luxury' 44-story Light Street apartment tower will soon break ground

Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM

119 posts, read 237,168 times
Default Ground broken

I noticed construction there recently and started researching. I hate to be d!ck contest about it and I get the 500ft+ cost spike, but this project would generate a lot more buzz if it were the actual tallest in the skyline, which it seems to have been shy of by only just a hair. The TransAmerica building is over 40 years old, Baltimore needs a new tallest tower to point to the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: