Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:36 AM

55 posts, read 99,613 times

Advertisements

Once I saw and almost bought a beat up house in the ghetto for about 4K. The roof was fine, the rest needed to be fixed. I've seen comments here that property taxes in Baltimore is about 4-6K a year? I don't know much about how the real estate deal goes, but to pay that much in taxes yearly is ridiculous. Is the tax based on the property price? Could someone explain/summarize how this usually goes? I'm thinking of buying and fixing one of these beat up houses and live in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 08:05 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Taxes are normally a few hundred dollars if any in the homes that you are looking at. One of the ways I find owners when we buy is to you the tax records here: Real Property Search

Old 05-14-2010, 10:40 AM

757 posts, read 2,554,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moov View Post
Once I saw and almost bought a beat up house in the ghetto for about 4K. The roof was fine, the rest needed to be fixed. I've seen comments here that property taxes in Baltimore is about 4-6K a year? I don't know much about how the real estate deal goes, but to pay that much in taxes yearly is ridiculous. Is the tax based on the property price? Could someone explain/summarize how this usually goes? I'm thinking of buying and fixing one of these beat up houses and live in it.
Baltimore's property tax rate is $2.268 per $100 of assessed value. For property taxes to be $4000-6000, a property would have to be assessed at between approx. $176k and $264k. To calculate the annual property tax, just multiply the assessed value from the Real Property database by .02268. If the house you saw selling for $4000 is assessed near the sales price, the property taxes would be less than $100 per year.

There was recently a proposal to raise the property tax rate on vacant/derelict homes to $10 per $100 to create an incentive for owners to sell or rehab them, but it didn't go anywhere after the mayor changed her mind about supporting it.

Last edited by rudy_d; 05-14-2010 at 10:53 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 01:23 AM

how would raising it to $10 per $100 be an incentive? I thought that would be a rip-off.

Who determines the assessed value? Im not good with real estate stuff, just learning.

How would I know if the seller is legitimate and not some crackhead trying to run off with my money by offering me bogus paperworks? Like I said I'm new in real estate stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
Baltimore's property tax rate is $2.268 per $100 of assessed value. For property taxes to be $4000-6000, a property would have to be assessed at between approx. $176k and $264k. To calculate the annual property tax, just multiply the assessed value from the Real Property database by .02268. If the house you saw selling for $4000 is assessed near the sales price, the property taxes would be less than $100 per year.

There was recently a proposal to raise the property tax rate on vacant/derelict homes to $10 per $100 to create an incentive for owners to sell or rehab them, but it didn't go anywhere after the mayor changed her mind about supporting it.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:51 PM

36 posts, read 92,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moov View Post
how would raising it to $10 per $100 be an incentive? I thought that would be a rip-off.

Who determines the assessed value? Im not good with real estate stuff, just learning.

How would I know if the seller is legitimate and not some crackhead trying to run off with my money by offering me bogus paperworks? Like I said I'm new in real estate stuff.
The property tax assessor determines the assessed value. It is very important that you file a homesteader exemption with the city. It caps your assessment to only rising 4% a year. (Others correct me I'm wrong, I know you people on this board don't have a problem pointing out my errors )

Even in Baltimore the assessed value is likely to be low on the type of home you are describing.

Here is a link to determine the present assessed value.

Real Property Search

If you are feeling brave and can get financing there is a mansion for sale at 1115 LANVALE ST W, Baltimore, MD 21217.

Personally, I believe www.zipreality.com is easy to use if you want to browse property in Baltimore city.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:37 AM

152 posts, read 487,657 times
Baltimore city also has a home rehabilitation program it calls SCOPE. Apparently, you can get a city-owned, vacant home for somewhere between 5 and 10k if you promise to put in so many dollars worth of improvement into it. I am not certain what the terms of the agreement are other than that. One such property is in my neighborhood, and I think it's listing at 5K. God knows how much work it actually needs, though.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:57 AM

66 posts, read 114,729 times
SCOPE properties are usually the worst of the worst, although HUD is willing to unload them dirt cheap. The program is well intentioned, but the homes are mostly shells & demolished properties in neighborhoods that won't see any value appreciation. For a SCOPE home, expect at least $75,000.00 - $125,000+ in rehab costs.

Considering that the after repair value is probably less than the cost to rehab and get the home code-compliant, it can be a losing proposition. There are lots of homes in transitional/stable neighborhoods that need work and are undervalued, most realtors can point you towards these deals.

Another option is purchasing a tax lien from the City. If a homeowner doesn't pay their property taxes, the city will foreclose and auction the property.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:38 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Scope information can be found here Greater Baltimore Board of Realtors - GBBR Scope

As far as buying the property, you would do a title search to make sure it's clear of all liens and to ensure the property is actually owned by the seller. That's not really something that happens much if ever. The only thing I've heard of is people who pretend to be owners of foreclosed homes and rent them out to steal the security deposits.

More than likely you'll want to get the property reassessed if you do buy. We bought a place in the heart of Canton for $87k that was assessed at 150k. We showed the assessment office that the property was now worth 87k and it cut our taxes in half.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 AM

I've read the SCOPE stuff before. Doesn't sound like you'd actually own the property, more like a contractor to fix it, if not it only becomes a burden. Sounds complicated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atariwhizkid View Post
Baltimore city also has a home rehabilitation program it calls SCOPE. Apparently, you can get a city-owned, vacant home for somewhere between 5 and 10k if you promise to put in so many dollars worth of improvement into it. I am not certain what the terms of the agreement are other than that. One such property is in my neighborhood, and I think it's listing at 5K. God knows how much work it actually needs, though.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:56 AM

what became of the owners of these homes? sounds like all the homes in baltimore city were housing projects when the city/government owns it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSoulBrotha View Post
SCOPE properties are usually the worst of the worst, although HUD is willing to unload them dirt cheap. The program is well intentioned, but the homes are mostly shells & demolished properties in neighborhoods that won't see any value appreciation. For a SCOPE home, expect at least $75,000.00 - $125,000+ in rehab costs.

Considering that the after repair value is probably less than the cost to rehab and get the home code-compliant, it can be a losing proposition. There are lots of homes in transitional/stable neighborhoods that need work and are undervalued, most realtors can point you towards these deals.

Another option is purchasing a tax lien from the City. If a homeowner doesn't pay their property taxes, the city will foreclose and auction the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: