Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:22 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times

Advertisements

"..Baltimore residents seem to have a very strong attachment to the past, and I understand the sentiment, but why aren't entire blocks being razed so modern housing can be built? I know there's a 'historical property' tax credit most people try to get, but is it really worth it?[/quote].."

*A to a certain degree, these very strong attachments, I feel have been a hindrance and burden on the creation of new ideas, innovation and creation. You can't keep harping on old paradigms and ways of doing things that don't benefit anyone but one's underappreciated ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
A lot of the above scam was going around in Texas. I was a victim

That's why I still own my house there. Got snookered. Developer, a reputable guy (until he became a desperate criminal) was pocketing upgrade costs on homes, and not paying contractors. People were never getting homes finished

Then, he set up a shadow corp to buy up the properties, sell what he could and let the bank foreclose the rest. 11 foreclosures does not make a neighborhood's value rise. I figure I lost $76,000 b/c of that <insert something very rude>.

I really like the house and intend to live in it again one day. Heck.. can't sell it anyway. At least not for several years. Considered just walking away but couldn't convince my wife it made financial sense to default.

So, that said... here's my point.

I see a lot of rehabs that have to maintain undersized rooms, cramped spaces, lack of bathroom space, laundry spaces, etc.

Baltimore residents seem to have a very strong attachment to the past, and I understand the sentiment, but why aren't entire blocks being razed so modern housing can be built? I know there's a 'historical property' tax credit most people try to get, but is it really worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
What identity?! Please, help me with this. What is Baltimore's identity per se? Hon culture? Blue crab culture? Drug and alcohol culture?!!

Baltimore had more identity in the 1950's, 60's and 70's compared to today IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I don't know why someone who doesn't like row-houses would live in Baltimore. Instead of trying to remake the city in terms of what you think it should look like, move out to the suburbs, and let the people who love the city the way it is live there. Baltimore certainly needs love but it doesn't need to become something it isn't. People who want to demolish the city's rowhouses are like the evil boyfriend who never loved you for who you were. Row-houses are Baltimore's identity....all tied up into its lore and legend. Baltimore without row-houses would be like Miami without the ocean, Oscar without Hammerstein, Manhattan without Broadway. I could go on...

Sorry, some of these messages just have me all stirred up. I LOVE Baltimore. I want it to become a better city, but not at the expense of its character or identity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: