Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:24 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,819,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
Bensonhurst is Chinese now, and Howard Beach is more insular than racist (I live here). If you're not from there, or not Italian you ain't welcome here. Being not white means you're not Italian which means you're not welcome, Irish and Jews aren't welcome either.
LOL. Yeah, sounds like the same old Howard Beach.

My sister told me Bensonhurst changed, but I didn't know who moved in. She just told me it was more diverse than it used to be. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 02:32 PM

148 posts, read 303,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
LOL. Yeah, sounds like the same old Howard Beach.

My sister told me Bensonhurst changed, but I didn't know who moved in. She just told me it was more diverse than it used to be. Thanks!
Bensonhurst isn't diverse at all. It's about 85% Chinese (All Fujianese) 15% old white people who never left. Most people from Bensonhurst live on Staten Island now.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Bensonhurst isn't diverse at all. It's about 85% Chinese (All Fujianese) 15% old white people who never left. Most people from Bensonhurst live on Staten Island now.
Heh. Well THAT'S not surprising.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Heh. Well THAT'S not surprising.
I grew up very close to Bensonhurst, in Bay Ridge. It's very bizarre for me to walk down "Cristoforo Columbo Blvd" (18th Avenue) and see nothing but Chinese grocery stores, restaurants and fish markets with some random pizza places and Italian joints mixed in.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I grew up very close to Bensonhurst, in Bay Ridge. It's very bizarre for me to walk down "Cristoforo Columbo Blvd" (18th Avenue) and see nothing but Chinese grocery stores, restaurants and fish markets with some random pizza places and Italian joints mixed in.
But is the food good? I mean if you can get good authentic Chinese meals that always make the changes easier to adjust too. LOL

All jokes aside, almost all of Brooklyn is a different place now. It's very disorienting.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:09 PM

389 posts, read 427,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"Young professionals kind of dilute that. I don't like their culture, the "I went to college" trendy crap grates on me."

*No they don't! Some of the locals decided to stay in their stagnant little places, not moving, creating or providing new ideas of innovation. I'm speaking up for young professionals because some of them truly want change for the better, thus, adding context and more texture in this urban landscape we call The American City. People are proud of their educational accomplishments and should be. DON'T HATE!!! Learn from them. Man, if you're from Brooklyn, why not take some class at LIU, Medgar Evers or a SUNY/CUNY branch to grab some knowledge. Colleges and universities are exciting places and worlds all unto themselves.

The limitations of Blue Collar thinking..
I agree, college expanded my mind. At least hipsters aren't able bodied folks who sit around doing nothing with their lives.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
But is the food good? I mean if you can get good authentic Chinese meals that always make the changes easier to adjust too. LOL

All jokes aside, almost all of Brooklyn is a different place now. It's very disorienting.
Some places are still the same but they are secrets. Gotta keep it on the low lest they get discovered and changed :P

And I actually am the one person who hates Chinese food. It makes me nauseous, I just eat the white rice.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
I agree, college expanded my mind. At least hipsters aren't able bodied folks who sit around doing nothing with their lives.
So the choice is

College or do nothing?

Most hipsters share a 3 bedroom with 8 roommates and get funded by their parents while they do unpaid internships

Old 03-25-2015, 03:53 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,744,128 times
If your looking for poor/blue collar white communities in and around Baltimore your best bet is to stay within a 2 mile radius of I-895. Areas including Southwestern Blvd/US-1, Halethorpe, Brooklyn Park, Landsdowne, and even Glen Burnie, can make Dundalk and Essex feel more like Roland Park. So to me southwest Baltimore takes the prize when it comes to poor/ blue collar white communities. If you travel around I-695, you can think of blue-collar Baltimore from being anywhere from approximately Wilkens Ave. to across the Key Bridge and all the way back up towards about Loch Raven Blvd. in Towson.

And yes hipsters I can probably live without. But young professionals who have a little get up and go are always a vital asset to any growing city.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:33 PM

389 posts, read 427,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephm1994 View Post
so the choice is

college or do nothing?

Most hipsters share a 3 bedroom with 8 roommates and get funded by their parents while they do unpaid internships
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore