Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times

Advertisements

Columbia is a soulless and stale community of spoiled, crazy, mixed race children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
Don't do it, girl! Don't do it! LOL Just kidding (sorta). I'm from the south, (actually the *country* in southern VA), so these are just MY thoughts

Baltimore is...special. It's a different mentality. It's not as clean, it's not as friendly, and the attitude here is so different than what you may be used to.

You might like living in Columbia or Ellicott City--I know a lot of people from down south who've moved there and liked it. It's not a bad drive from either Woodlawn, Baltimore or DC. Columbia/Ellicott City are cleaner, safer, etc. though more expensive.

If you drive, you'll find a lot of activities in either Baltimore or DC--especially in DC. There are a ton of clubs/lounges, restaurants filled with people in their 20s-30s. Another great thing, is the DC/MD area has plenty of outdoor activities, festivals/concerts, etc. in the spring/summer. The DC crowd is a lot more active for young professionals--can be a little snobby though. Baltimore has a scene, it's not as phony lol, but it's also less active, and doesn't have the brunch, day party, nightclub/lounge scene, so to me, it's a little boring for what I'd consider city life. However, living in Columbia would make it easy to access to either scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:21 AM

".. The DC crowd is a lot more active for young professionals--can be a little snobby though. Baltimore has a scene, it's not as phony lol, but it's also less active, and doesn't have the brunch, day party, nightclub/lounge scene, so to me, it's a little boring for what I'd consider city life..."

*City life for Black professionals is extremely lacking and insufficient of excitement. The irony of this is, that Baltimore is over 50% African American, but lacks these very basics and good spaces for the things you've mention above (brunch, day party, nightclub/lounge scene, etc..). It's a crying shame and almost an insult to be Black in Baltimore! And Blacks folks in Baltimore seem not to care too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
Don't do it, girl! Don't do it! LOL Just kidding (sorta). I'm from the south, (actually the *country* in southern VA), so these are just MY thoughts

Baltimore is...special. It's a different mentality. It's not as clean, it's not as friendly, and the attitude here is so different than what you may be used to.

You might like living in Columbia or Ellicott City--I know a lot of people from down south who've moved there and liked it. It's not a bad drive from either Woodlawn, Baltimore or DC. Columbia/Ellicott City are cleaner, safer, etc. though more expensive.

If you drive, you'll find a lot of activities in either Baltimore or DC--especially in DC. There are a ton of clubs/lounges, restaurants filled with people in their 20s-30s. Another great thing, is the DC/MD area has plenty of outdoor activities, festivals/concerts, etc. in the spring/summer. The DC crowd is a lot more active for young professionals--can be a little snobby though. Baltimore has a scene, it's not as phony lol, but it's also less active, and doesn't have the brunch, day party, nightclub/lounge scene, so to me, it's a little boring for what I'd consider city life. However, living in Columbia would make it easy to access to either scene.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:05 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,358 times
Where are you moving from?

Old 03-27-2015, 01:07 PM

55 posts, read 168,105 times
South Carolina

Old 03-27-2015, 01:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karolinagrl View Post
South Carolina
If the choice is taking the job at Woodlawn or staying put...
then I'd suggest that you take it and experience what is new/different.
Make some friends, see and do some new things and gain the work experience.

If the choice is Woodlawn vs OTHER locations... definitely explore them too.
Wherever you might go it doesn't need be for more than a couple of years.

But also wherever you go... the first while should probably be a share situation.
Use that time to get acclimated, make those friends and then choose what you want.

hth

Old 03-27-2015, 02:28 PM

South Carolina is nice!

Quote:
South Carolina

Old 03-27-2015, 02:45 PM

389 posts, read 426,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Columbia is a soulless and stale community of spoiled, crazy, mixed race children!
What do you have against mixed race children? I'm not trying to offend you but you sound no better than some of these white supremacists. Yes, I'm a conscious sista but I do realize that not all white folks are out to get us.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
South Carolina is nice!
Meh..... I won't even touch that one.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,274 times
Hey IH, the young lady is asking questions, don't try to scare her off-this town needs new blood. I seem to remember you raising that point several times in the past, and specifically saying that the town needs a new and different "type" of "black" blood!
Karolinagirl, I too am from the sunny Southland, Georgia in fact, and damn proud of it. I moved here nearly twenty-five years ago, and found Baltimore a real eye-opener. This place will not be what you are used to. People here are much more forward and "in-your-face", than they are down home. Their idea of manners will probably seem much different from what you're accustomed to, as well. Not to say that they are bad people, quite the contrary, just different.
The Woodlawn area is a western suburb, and safe, albeit boring-nothing really happening there for a twenty-something in search of nightlife. The same could be said for most of suburban Baltimore, except possibly the area around Towson U. For the most part, suburbs here are just like suburbs anywhere else in the country-strip shopping centers, malls, chain bars and restaurants, car dealerships, etc. Most of the nightlife, live music, clubs, interesting restaurants, trendy shopping, etc., etc., exists wholly within the City.
There are some dicey areas in the suburban areas immediately East, West and South of the City, so suburbs do not necessarily equal safety.
The other suburbs mentioned, Columbia and areas closer to D.C., e.g., are certainly safer, but much, much more expensive. As someone your age, I'd try to find a roommate, maybe another girl close to your age familiar with the City. I definitely recommend urban living if you are a fairly adventurous young person. There are still parts of the City that are reasonably safe, reasonably priced, have a younger demographic, and are easily accessible to what's happening in town.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:22 AM

537 posts, read 768,720 times
Quote:
lanhvtnymd - so, I take it you don't like it? I've heard a lot of that from Southern transplants unfortunately.

My initial thought about relocating there was a flat out NO. But after some more thought, I decided to reach out to try to find people who know the area so I could gain some more insight and make an informed decision.

I'm not loving nor liking everything I've found so far lol.
I like it fine. I mean, on paper, I have very little to complain about. Is it the best place I've ever lived? No. The best place I've ever lived was basically every place I've ever lived....except where I'm living right now LOL. Only because work and my apartment situation are killing my soul right now.

I say give it a try. If you don't like it, on to the next adventure. "Charm City" is true. Just like some people, at first you're like "wtf, this guy...." Then slowly, slowly they start to reel you in. Then one day you wake up, are on your routine, and it's like you're really liking this guy now. That's Baltimore....City anyway.

I wrote this really, long personal response. I'll just send you a message. I don't need all of my business out in these streets. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore