Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:05 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I lived in DC area and never got around to visiting Baltimore - now I never will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Who cares. You won't be missed.
Oh, really? Suppose lots of other people feel the way she does, and stop coming to Baltimore. Will they be missed? What's going to happen to all the jobs that cater to visitors? And what will happen when developers decide that not enough people are coming to Baltimore, and so decide to do their development elsewhere. What then?

You want Baltimore to be the next Detroit? I don't. I want it to be a safe, thriving city which people want to visit, and live in. It seemed like things were heading in the right direction, but now you have this. Once again, the takers who do nothing but take have taken again. It's going to hurt us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I've seen a fair amount of stories showing people cleaning up, protecting businesses, protecting police, etc that IMO is helping to show that people actually care about the city. Don't think I saw too much of that in Ferguson for example.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:29 AM

777 posts, read 880,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Oh, really? Suppose lots of other people feel the way she does, and stop coming to Baltimore. Will they be missed? What's going to happen to all the jobs that cater to visitors? And what will happen when developers decide that not enough people are coming to Baltimore, and so decide to do their development elsewhere. What then?

You want Baltimore to be the next Detroit? I don't. I want it to be a safe, thriving city which people want to visit, and live in. It seemed like things were heading in the right direction, but now you have this. Once again, the takers who do nothing but take have taken again. It's going to hurt us all.
Until the problems of racism, poverty, and police
brutality are dealt with, there will not be peace.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 AM

389 posts, read 426,706 times
Quote:
Even though I don't condone the rioting, I definitely agree. As far a poverty is concerned, telling people to attend college and/or trade school is easier said than done. I had to drop out of college several years ago due to struggling financially. I grew up in poverty in a couple housing projects in West Baltimore so I realize the struggle.

College shouldn't be a catch-22.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
So what you're saying is, until the problem of racism -- i.e. black thugs targeting random white people to assault and rob - is dealt with, there will not be peace. I totally agree.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:00 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I've seen a fair amount of stories showing people cleaning up, protecting businesses, protecting police, etc that IMO is helping to show that people actually care about the city. Don't think I saw too much of that in Ferguson for example.
+1

That's the stuff the national media isn't interested in showing it seems...

Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
The city was a "poop" hole before the riots, heading towards "Detroit like" now!
im from Detroit
Baltimore was a bigger hole 10 years ago whe we were there for a week than Detroit...can only imagine how bad it is now

Old 04-29-2015, 10:06 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I lived in DC area and never got around to visiting Baltimore - now I never will.
When things quiet down and we get back to normal, which can be relative depending on who you talk to, we hope you do. This city will need visitors to inject money back into the local economy and appreciate the good things Baltimore has to offer. Abandoning the city and not coming will just make things worse. Believe it or not, the good people and things outweight the bad here. I have my own criticisms of the city, but I don't want to see such a great city fall because of a few idiots.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:24 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
When Baltimore finally reaches a level of gentrification and revitalization to rival D.C. in another 20-30 years, Baltimore County will become the Prince George's county of the area.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:53 PM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times
Quote:
Who cares. You won't be missed.
How do you think this looks????

How do you think this benefits Baltimore.

I'm sure this person is not the only among Millions that feel the same way. How do you think any major metropolis (Baltimore) obtains funding that enables them to maintain the city or in Baltimore case fix this ****!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: