Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 02:06 PM

17 posts, read 28,116 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband and I are looking to buy a home near Baltimore. My husband works downtown and I work in Columbia. We have a 1 year old son and are looking for a large, newer home. We have found several that we are interested in in Owings Mills, Randallstown and Windsor Mill. Would those of you who know the areas please provide me with feedback regarding the people, the crime, schools, etc?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 02:16 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
All three of these areas are predominantly African-American.

I used to live in Pikesville, which is to the northeast of Randallstown and the southeast of Owings Mills. At the time I was there (going back 15 years now), Owings Mills was a boomtown of sorts, with lots of new construction. Randallstown and Windsor Mill were both older, more established communities.

At the time I lived in Pikesville, Owings Mills was a pretty nice place; Randallstown wasn't too bad but was starting to fray around the edges; and Windsor Mill wasn't too bad but wasn't too good either.

I will have to leave it to others with more recent experiences to tell you what these communities are like nowadays.

If you want to live in a more diverse and higher income suburban community, I would recommend moving to Columbia. The commute from there into downtown Baltimore is hardly longer than it is from the places you named, and your own commute would be much shorter.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 AM

Thanks so much Bus Man. I wrote a response last night and I'm not sure why it didn't post. My husband and I both grew up and have lived the majority of our lives in PG county so the demographics are just fine with us. I just want to be moving into a neighborhood with good people and even better if there are some kids around. We ended up driving out and looking at the neighborhoods last night. I liked Owings Mills much more than I expected and was thoroughly underwhelmed with where we looked in Randallstown and Windsor Mill.

Thanks again for the input and it any one else has thoughts on the areas, especially Owings Mills, I'd love to hear what you have to say :-)

Old 05-27-2015, 08:15 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlnextdoor24 View Post
I liked Owings Mills much more than I expected and was thoroughly underwhelmed with where we looked in Randallstown and Windsor Mill.

Thanks again for the input and it any one else has thoughts on the areas, especially Owings Mills, I'd love to hear what you have to say :-)
I think you should also consider Catonsville (21228). There are some charming older homes, and pockets of newer homes. The Catonsville High School is one of the best rated in Baltimore County.

BTW, I used to work and live in Windsor Mill, and I would not want to send my kids to the Woodlawn High School, or the Randallstown schools.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
I think if you are from PG County Owings Mills is going to feel the most familiar. It's got some nice homes and most of it is pretty quiet and stable. The commute to Columbia may be a bit much however. I wouldn't wish that rush hour 695/70 traffic on anyone LOL. There may be some back road ways to cut that down however.

I agree Catonsville or Ellicott City may make a lot more sense given where you'll both be working. I'd look into that.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 AM

Thanks!

Old 05-28-2015, 01:00 PM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
If you choose Owings Mills, stay east of 795. Sketch factor increases as you travel west past it.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:04 PM

179 posts, read 355,950 times
I've been living in Pikesville and have really enjoyed the location (Garrison, near Reisterstown Road and very close to 695). Commute to downtown can be a pain though.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:08 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
I've been living in Pikesville and have really enjoyed the location (Garrison, near Reisterstown Road and very close to 695). Commute to downtown can be a pain though.
Casualsurfer, are you aware that your location shows as Indianapolis? Did you just recently move to Pikesville?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:48 AM

179 posts, read 355,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Casualsurfer, are you aware that your location shows as Indianapolis? Did you just recently move to Pikesville?
Yes, haven't changed it yet. Took a while for me to change from SoCal to Indy, it'll be a while before I change it to Baltimore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore