Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 01:44 PM

233 posts, read 318,109 times

Advertisements

Where else do you take your family for quick weekend trips? Other than..
Ocean City, Lancaster County (Dutch Wonderland), Sesame Place and Hershey Park?

I'm hoping for somewhere less than 3hours away. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:55 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
How old are the kids? What are your interests?

If you like easy hiking, you can't beat the C & O Canal. You could stay in Cumberland and hike or bike the 20 miles or so downstream to the Paw Paw Tunnel, which is fascinating to walk through.

If you like old trains, there's the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad in Cumberland or the Strasburg Rail Road in Lancaster. (There's also the Walkersville Railroad near Frederick, but I have no experience with that one.)

If you like museums, Washington is paradise. And don't forget the Air & Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy Center out by Dulles Airport.

Give us your ages and interests and we can surely give you more ideas.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:07 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Kings Dominion in Virginia is also less than 3 hours. Annapolis for a day, with or without swimming at Sandy Point State Park. New York City for the museums.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:14 PM

Sorry I overlooked including these details bus man! I have 2 daughters, 3 and 8. I think they are still a bit too young to enjoy museums. Well may be one would be ok.. more than that in one visit would bore them I think and I'd love to go hiking but that again may bit a bit difficult with a 3 year old.

I think I'm looking for a touristy type town, that may have something for all of us. Some type of attraction for children, a bit of shopping, a bit of history or scenic view to the area to make me feel like I'm further away from home than I am. That's pretty vague...I know.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:30 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,511 times
Another place to check out would be Frederick.

There are a number of stores in the downtown section that would likely be of interest to you. In addition, Adventure Park USA is another option that's not too far from downtown.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:17 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Frederick, MD would fit the bill. I second Cumberland, but if you are not going to be partaking in the great outdoors, I would make sure you check the calendar to make sure there are some activities planned. Most weekends in the summer are booked, and our downtown and Canal Place are full of activities. Come during a weekday? Er, not so much.

www.mdmountainside.com

Winchester, VA is another option. They have a very neat interactive children's museum. Berkeley Springs, WV is one of my favorites too; natural warm springs coming out of the mountain, child friendly splash and play areas, big trees. Not a location with lots of "programming," but it is a great place to unwind for a day...must be the water.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:33 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,913 times
If you stay in Winchester, Western Maryland or West Virgina check out the historic train Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad - Where Eagles Fly!

It's beautiful, unusual, fun and a big WOW factor with the kids.

It's around 150 miles from Baltimore and can be reached in around 3 hours if traffic conditions are not a factor.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
In Frederick, take a stroll along Carroll Creek through downtown; bring some bread so the kids can feed the ducks. On the west end of downtown, Baker Park (corner of N. Bentz St. & W. Church St.) has a nice playground. On the other end, there's Frederick Fudge & Ice Cream at E. Church St. & N. East St. One block north, at N. East St. & E. 2nd St., is the Roads & Rails Museum, complete with a cool model train layout.

In Cumberland, there's the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad. And right next to that is Canal Place, the western terminus of the C & O Canal. Your kids might have fun climbing around the replica of an old canal barge. There is, or at least was, an inflatable bounce place at Baltimore St. & S. Centre St. Be sure and get a milkshake or ice cream at Queen City Creamery, on W. Harrison St. near S. Centre St.

Twenty or so miles southeast of Cumberland is the Paw Paw Tunnel along the C & O Canal. It's about a kilometer long, ramrod straight, and very pleasantly cool on a hot day. Be sure and bring a flashlight. I can't imagine a kid not loving it, unless they are highly afraid of the dark.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:54 AM

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, these are great! I'm going to look into these further.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:21 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Philadelphia. We first went when the kids were 4 and 5. In season (now) they have story tellers on benches all over town. The kids got to be in the "continental army." We played putt putt in Franklin Park. It is a ton of fun, plus once you park at the hotel you can take the shuttle all over town.

I've heard good things about the various gardens in Wilmington DE too, but haven't tried that yet.

We also had a good time in Colonial Williamsburg, though that is just over your 3 hour limit depending on where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore