Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:46 AM

553 posts, read 1,707,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
Oh my god! People who rent would even think of sending their children to the same school as yours'? The horror!
Certainly your opinion is of one who has never seen some of the problems the unfortunate children suffer and then bring from the inner city to the suburbs.

These children are unfortunately the victims of all Baltimore's woes in terms of poverty, drugs, disease, and neglect. And more often than not, they bring these problems to the county. I could write a marathon about all the incidents of these kids in K-grade 3 bringing guns to school, stabbing other kids, incidents of sexual assault (yes, in the K-3rd grades), theft (of other students belongings, teachers' belongings, school property) and on and on.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can tell you that once the problems these students bring to the county start to become problematic, people simply move away or put their kids in private school, and that neighborhood over time goes down in flames.

Good examples (in the elementary grades) are Warren Elementary and Padonia International Elementary in Cockeysville. They get worse every year, and are looking more and more like city schools, and test scores reflect this. They've gone steadily downhill over the last 5 years. Looking at Warren's testing scores, the minority demographics in grade 3, their test scores are abysmal compared to all the schools surrounding. In some grades you have up to 25% only scoring BASIC on the MSA, which means they're not where they should be for their grade/age.

At the individual level, can you fault anyone who is going to spend about 500k on a house for making a decision to live in a place where they won't need to worry about their kids getting a quality education because there are handfuls of problem students who command almost 100% of the teacher's time? Or to have your 1st grader come home and tell you that a male student told you he wanted oral sex?

As far as I know, Baltimore suffers this worse than any other counties in the state, and certainly doesn't have many peers in this respect throughout the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 AM

33 posts, read 175,695 times
i think it is unfair to suggest that all the kids living in those apartments are going to be bad students and bring guns to school at the age of 6. not all of those kids are from the city and are bad students. not all kids from the city are bad either. just because someone rents an apartment doesn't automatically make them bad parents of misbehaved children.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM

110 posts, read 565,708 times
I don't think ALL the kids in the apartments are bad students etc... Unfortunately, as trickymost implied some are victims of the poverty, drugs, disease and neglect. It is very, very sad. At Warren Elementary they had two children suspended from kindergarten and one expelled! These are 5 year olds we're talking about! I know one child is afraid to even play rec sports with one of the kids. That's also not fair. The whole situation is unfortunate. We're probably going to move. The area is getting too expensive for us to afford to send our kids to private school and we feel it's the only choice we have now. Our kids aren't at all street smart. It's sad that so many kids these days are...and not just renters or kids living in apartments. I wish I could change the world and help all these people. I just don't know how! I don't think anyone really does! I blame drugs more than anything. People get on drugs and everything and everyone around them suffers...and the children suffer the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore