Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:33 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times

Advertisements

We went to Hunt Valley to see the delightful movie, Julia, Julie. This once failed but reconfigured retail center was doing great. Don't take my word for it. After the movie, we went looking for Wal-mart which used to be there. No more. Most likely priced out by high rents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM

9 posts, read 66,371 times
I couldn't agree more! I live in Hunt Valley and it has completely changed for the better. The old run-down mall has been replaced with a fresh upscale outdoors shopping center. It is very clean and safe! They strongly enforce a curfew for teenagers which keeps the area peaceful on weekends. The Wegman's is a perfect touch- it's quite a step up from all other grocery stores. They just put in a Best Buy and are in the process of putting in an upscale bowling alley. Not to mention several moderare and high-end restaurants in walking distance to the movie theater. It is a great place to live!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:22 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
After the movie, we went looking for Wal-mart which used to be there. No more. Most likely priced out by high rents.
Actually, Walmart moved to a new, larger facility about 2 miles away on York Road, and over doubled the number of employees it had. The Walmart leaving the mall is what finally allowed the mall to be upgraded.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM

553 posts, read 1,706,737 times
IMO, the changes have all been for the better, and I hope it stays as nice as it is. But, there are some problems with the outlook there...

The Best Buy and the bowling alley were in the works for too long and had too much $ invested to pull out.

Wegman's anchoring is a good thing. God bless Wegmans.

From talking with friends who work at the Spa in the Valley, Ulta, and Wegmans - there has been an increase in undesirable activity in the parking lots, particularly muggings/purse snatching, aggressive panhandling, and theft. Unclear if this is because criminals are coming on the light rail or because of the economic challenges and more desperate folks.

Sears (the company) is on life support, this Sears location will likely shut down in the next 3-12 months.
I guess that could be a good thing for the upscale feel, but it's a major tenant and would be an eyesore if it were empty.

When I was walking through the outdoor mall area between Wegmans and Best Buy last week, I noticed quite a few businesses had shut down and the storefront was papered up. I'm not sure what was there before, but I'm somewhat certain some of the other small businesses will close soon and nobody will be moving in to replace them.

Also recently, the Filene's closed. DRW is part of the same company, and they have serious financial headwinds. This location is at risk.

The REIT who built and manages the property is heavily reliant on retail customers for rent income. They have operating challenge at other properties in the greater Baltimore/Annapolis/DC area. This may cause problems with operation and management of this center.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 PM

167 posts, read 426,494 times
I went up there for the first time back in the late '90s while exploring the light rail system, and a (sparingly) few times since. The mall simply got beat by the other regional malls in the area: Owings Mills. The Towson/Joppa Road super cluster. White Marsh. Consider that the mall is the closest to the Urban-Rural development line in Baltimore County, and on the edge of business parks that generate most traffic only during weekdays.

Maybe I should stop by soon to see the changes. What would be interesting to see is whether the bowling alley will still be operating a year from now. Baltimore was once known for its love of duckpin bowling; I'm aware of only one alley that still operates (Eastpoint).

Old 10-02-2009, 02:34 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthell View Post
I went up there for the first time back in the late '90s while exploring the light rail system, and a (sparingly) few times since. The mall simply got beat by the other regional malls in the area: Owings Mills. The Towson/Joppa Road super cluster. White Marsh. Consider that the mall is the closest to the Urban-Rural development line in Baltimore County, and on the edge of business parks that generate most traffic only during weekdays.

Maybe I should stop by soon to see the changes. What would be interesting to see is whether the bowling alley will still be operating a year from now. Baltimore was once known for its love of duckpin bowling; I'm aware of only one alley that still operates (Eastpoint).

Isn't there still duckpin bowling at the alley on Eastern Avenue?

Old 10-02-2009, 02:45 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Duckpin Bowling Fun in Baltimore - Patterson

Yep--it's still open and recently remodeled.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 AM

757 posts, read 2,553,579 times
For duckpin bowling there's also Taylor's on York Road just north of the city/county lane. The City Paper just gave it a Best of Baltimore award.

@ trickymost: I think you're right that the location is at risk. Malls in general are dead other than the large regional malls like Towson and Columbia that are near heavily populated, affluent areas and have a diverse enough offering to attract people from far away. "Big box" stores and the "fake Main Street" concept have been successful in replacing troubled malls, but who knows how long that can last. Consumers are tapped out as jobs disappear and home equity declines. I think retail in the suburbs is particularly vulnerable as it's so overbuilt. I recently drove my the strip mall north of Towson where the 3 former tenants--Comp USA, Linens n Things, and Tweeter--have all gone bankrupt, and the entire large, ugly complex sits vacant.

I don't think it's fair to blame the light rail for Hunt Valley's problems--if anything, it's a competitive benefit over other locations. Similar parking lot crimes have been occurring with increasing frequency at locations like Arundel Mills that are nowhere near public transportation. The light rail, which has a reputation for being slow, doesn't make a great getaway vehicle.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:34 PM

328 posts, read 1,539,823 times
RE: Tricky
"From talking with friends who work at the Spa in the Valley, Ulta, and Wegmans - there has been an increase in undesirable activity in the parking lots...."

Well I know for one fact, Cheeburger Cheeburger closed up. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Light Rail brings in some crime. Was there not just some trial a couple months ago for a young couple, two white teenagers, (sorry, had to say it and yes thats the truth) where the girl was brutally raped and they were then kidnapped and tortured to top it all off by two black thugs this being just up the road at the Timonium stop? Food for thought..

And dear God..I hope that Bowling center is NOTHING like the Dave & Busters out at Arundel Mills. In that, it brings a not so desirable crowd if you haven't' caught my drift already, and crime... (Also, I heard it was the idea of Ray Lewis from the Ravens...)

I can see it now...when that bowling center opens, problems and a less desirable crowd. light rail to blame? perhaps..

Old 10-03-2009, 04:49 PM

553 posts, read 1,706,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
RE: Tricky
"From talking with friends who work at the Spa in the Valley, Ulta, and Wegmans - there has been an increase in undesirable activity in the parking lots...."

Well I know for one fact, Cheeburger Cheeburger closed up. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Light Rail brings in some crime. Was there not just some trial a couple months ago for a young couple, two white teenagers, (sorry, had to say it and yes thats the truth) where the girl was brutally raped and they were then kidnapped and tortured to top it all off by two black thugs this being just up the road at the Timonium stop? Food for thought..

And dear God..I hope that Bowling center is NOTHING like the Dave & Busters out at Arundel Mills. In that, it brings a not so desirable crowd if you haven't' caught my drift already, and crime... (Also, I heard it was the idea of Ray Lewis from the Ravens...)

I can see it now...when that bowling center opens, problems and a less desirable crowd. light rail to blame? perhaps..
The bowling alley will be interesting; it's more of a upscale nightlife venture like Lucky Strike - with music/DJ, full bar area, and dining. It should be a different crowd than is there during the day.

Did cheeburger cheeburger close all their locations? The one in timonium closed as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore