Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:02 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times

Advertisements

Oops--one more option. There are actually some neat neighborhoods in the city with off-street parking. Try Arcadia for renting or Lauraville. Some of those homes actually have driveways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
I find this thread fascinating. There are no drunk drivers in Denver, houses are cheap, the rainbow brighter, parking spaces galore and little snow. Or so it would seem.
Good luck in Denver, or wherever.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:28 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
This is about the 400th time I've had to reiterate that Denver does not get a lot of snow. We average about 61" per year (higher than Baltimore, but lower than many northeast cities), but receive much less in many years. The 61" is also spread out over a period of 8 months, so that would be an average of less than 8" per month. We get a blizzard, on average, once every 6 years and sometimes go more than 10 without seeing one. The northeast is notorious for seeing much larger storms more frequently. I don't quite understand why people in the northeast think Denver is so snowy. Our MOUNTAINS get tons of snow, but Denver is not situated in the mountains - it's adjacent to them. Regardless, Denver is much sunnier (especially during winter) and snow quickly disappears.

Regarding Boulder, I would strongly recommend a few-day visit to acclimate yourself to the population if even considering it. It is very liberal and VERY unique. Personally, I only go into Boulder if I absolutely have to. The cost of living is high, people are generally hurried to get nowhere and many people who live there are impatient and unfriendly. I used to love this city, but it's become a place I'd rather not visit. The CU campus is beautiful and the Flatirons to the southwest are breathtaking, but the people really turn me off. One thing I do love about the people is that you're free to be who you are - you're not generally judged on that.
oh ya

Baltimore average snow past 43 years
BALTIMORE, MD 43 years annual = 20.8
Denver, CO ENVER, CO 59 years annual =60.4

Tell me how much more in a city compared to each other? Source: National - Average Snowfall (http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/normsnow.html - broken link)

No one said CO is not nice..my best mate from Denver, CO. This is what I posted..sigh

Denver = cold and a lot snow..nice town though mountians and whatnot..nice boulder hippy community and nice school

Don't just your gun LOL

Old 03-05-2008, 06:21 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,207 times
Have you lived in Denver?

Denver winters are like this:

Monday: 30 degrees and sunny. Tuesday, 45 degrees and sunny, Wednesday, 60 degrees and sunny. Thursday, snowy. Friday, 50 degrees and sunny. Saturday (all snow gone), 30 degrees and sunny. Sunday: 50 degrees and sunny.

In short: it's 1) sunny, 2) the cold spells never last for weeks, 3) even on cold days the sun is strong and you do feel its warmth. It's a dry cold, which feels very different from the damp cold of the east coast. It does snow in Denver, but the snow rarely lasts long on the ground and is mostly gone within 24 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
oh ya

Tell me how much more in a city compared to each other? Source: National - Average Snowfall (http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/normsnow.html - broken link)

No one said CO is not nice..my best mate from Denver, CO. This is what I posted..sigh

Denver = cold and a lot snow..nice town though mountians and whatnot..nice boulder hippy community and nice school

Don't just your gun LOL

Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 AM

27 posts, read 97,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losingmylycosa View Post
Yeah, so I've lived in Maryland for about 8 years and have had enough. I've lived in Hagerstown, Frederick, and now Baltimore (going on my third year). I've also moved to several different neighborhoods in the city and I don't think I can handle it anymore - the crime, the corrupt city government, the weird climate, the rude pretentious people, the hipsters, ect. I'm originally from Detroit (another horrible place).

My girlfriend (who is originally from Wyoming) and I want to live somewhere that has a thriving nonprofit/political/communications job market, as we both work in the nonprofit fundraising/communications field - but not in the Northeast or mid-Atlantic. We can't stand the northeast. Can anyone suggest a place?

I don't want to live anywhere with a higher cost of living because I'm in a lot of debt from my student loans. I would also like to live somewhere I can live where I work, that isn't too expensive. I'm not big on commuting. I'm not really closed to living in the suburbs or in the city.

We were thinking Denver, Chicago, Columbus, Des Moines, or maybe Indianapolis. Of course, I'm open to a lot of different places in the Midwest/west/southeast if people can suggest better. Does anyone have experiences with these places comparing/contrasting with Baltimore?
If you think that Baltimore is corrupt and the people are pretentious, you'll want to stay far away from Chicago. It may very well be the capital of corruption and many (not all!) of the burbs are really, really snobby. We've been here for almost 2 years (originally from the D also!) and can't wait to leave. We also lived in White Marsh, MD for 5 years and really liked it. We felt that the people were friendly and down to earth. Our best friends still live there. Have you considered NC/Raliegh?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:11 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
oh ya

Don't just your gun LOL
I grew up & spent 27 years in Massachusetts, lived in Baltimore for 6 years and now live in the 'burbs of Denver. The winter in Denver is far nicer than Baltimore. Yes, there is statistically more snow but it melts quickly and the amount of sun in comparison is well, no comparison. Baltimore can be cold and gray for most of the winter and I recall some very big storms when I was there.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:57 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times
We average about 61" per year

LOL, I think we've had 2 inches total this year and yesterday was 70 degrees. To most Marylanders in the central area (not the mountains) 61 inches is a lot of snow. Maybe we outsiders imagine a snowed-in city (Denver) because of the images of the mountains we usually see of Colorado. In recent years, I've been disappointed in our lack of snow. What's the point of enduring freezing temperatures if you can't at least get a little snow? I might as well move down south and stay warm.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
We average about 61" per year

LOL, I think we've had 2 inches total this year and yesterday was 70 degrees. To most Marylanders in the central area (not the mountains) 61 inches is a lot of snow. Maybe we outsiders imagine a snowed-in city (Denver) because of the images of the mountains we usually see of Colorado. In recent years, I've been disappointed in our lack of snow. What's the point of enduring freezing temperatures if you can't at least get a little snow? I might as well move down south and stay warm.
I'd rather endure freezing temperatures (although we have far fewer days in the 10s and 20s than we do in the 30s and 40s - not dissimilar to Baltimore) and tons of sun than 30s and 40s with a thick cloud cover and damp feel to the air. I have family all over the northeast and winters there are terrible - even if you don't get much snow. To each his own.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 AM

22 posts, read 110,278 times
Yeah, I am not really bothered by the snow. In fact, I would love to live somewhere that gets lots of snow. I've been out west. While it typically gets colder than Baltimore, it lacks the humidity - so 30 degrees in Denver is not bad compared to 30 degrees in Baltimore.

I actually get kind of sick of Marylanders fear of snow. It sleets and barely freezes and people go nuts. Being from Michigan, I really don't understand.

We've considered Raleigh, but it is really sprawling and it seems like all Marylanders are moving to Raleigh. So we'd be enduring the same population. My family is from the Carolina's, so it isn't such a long stretch. The cost of living is higher though in the research triangle.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 AM

22 posts, read 110,278 times
On Parking: Yeah, parking is a problem in any city, that's why wherever I'd go I would want to live in the Suburbs.

On Boston: Boston is really nice, and it doesn't sprawl. But the cost of living is extremely high and it's too cold for my standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore