Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 06:05 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
In 2014 the total season attendance at Camden Yards was 2,464,473. In 2015, the year of the riots, it was 2,281,202. In 2016, total attendance was 2,172,344. Since 2004, the total attendance at Camden Yards had gone up every year, so it must not be due to the Washington Nationals who came into being in the 2005 season. The attendance decline seems to point to the riots as the cause.

Maybe. A lot of Orioles fans in the DC area (who had no choice for decades) switched allegiance to the Nationals when they started to win consistently.

I just don't see the riots having had that much impact. As riots go it was sort of lame anyway. There haven't been Detroit or Watts style riots since, well, since the Detroit and Watts riots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 09:42 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,685,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
In 2014 the total season attendance at Camden Yards was 2,464,473. In 2015, the year of the riots, it was 2,281,202. In 2016, total attendance was 2,172,344. Since 2004, the total attendance at Camden Yards had gone up every year, so it must not be due to the Washington Nationals who came into being in the 2005 season. The attendance decline seems to point to the riots as the cause.
You're neglecting to mention that the spike you cite - 2014 - was when they finished 1st in the AL East for the first time in almost 20 years. Do you honestly think that isn't an important variable? That's the obvious reason why it was the highest attendance year in over a decade.

"Since 2004, the total attendance at Camden Yards had gone up every year" is absolutely not true. It went down from 2004-2006, then up for 2007, then down for 2008-10, then up for 2011-14, then down 2015-16. Unsurprisingly, the attendance variation almost exactly mimics their divisional standing. The power of bandwagon fans is strong.

Last edited by bufflove; 04-02-2017 at 09:58 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 12:47 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
From a street sense Baltimore is proud of its murder rate and crime. Its not cool to be from the county , you must be from the inner city or you arent considered real. Plus the politicians have no intention on fixing things. Thats the first thing I realized about Baltimore is that crime IS the economy and many people depend heavily on it. It used to kill me when Baltimore folks used to fake on people from PG county until we actually went up there to go to school and it was all good face to face.
Your first two sentences aren't unique to Baltimore, as you, especially being from the DC area, know this. However, I do agree that is one of the most troubling things to brag about.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:06 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
Quote:
I just don't see the riots having had that much impact. As riots go it was sort of lame anyway. There haven't been Detroit or Watts style riots since, well, since the Detroit and Watts riots.
*Interesting statement! LOL. I wouldn't even call it a riot. Detroit, Watts and Newark 67' were riots! It's not the the actual civil disturbance would have an impact, but the perception of Black criminality and dysfunction that is plaguing a predominately African American city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Maybe. A lot of Orioles fans in the DC area (who had no choice for decades) switched allegiance to the Nationals when they started to win consistently.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:12 AM

Good recommendations, but sorely unrealistic! It lacks some serious and deep critical analysis of the times people are living under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
There's actually a very easy fix but no one is doing it or even promoting it. The revolving door of poverty, familial strife, no emphasis on education, no mentors, no role models, absentee fathers, etc. stops when an individual steps up to the plate and doesn't do what his/her mom, dad, grandparents etc. did. My recommendation would be to:

1) Get up and go to school. Be on time every day.
2) Stay out of jail.
3) Graduate high school.
4) Stay out of jail.
5) Learn a trade/go to college.
6) Stay out of jail.
7) Get a job.
8) Stay out of jail.
9) Save money.
10) Get married. Yes, that means one girl/guy forever.
11) Have children. Only the number of children you can afford.
12) Make your children go to school. On time. Every day.
13) Make sure your children graduate high school.
14) Repeat every step and perpetuate it from branch to branch of the family tree.

Until urban areas and the people who inhabit them learn and understand these VERY SIMPLE life rules, then nothing will ever change in Baltimore.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:16 AM

OK! It's one-sided and obviously a distorted calculation in your perspective...

But, am I wrong??!! Don't you think they are people who feel and think in this manner about the inhabitants of Baltimore City?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Everything heights says is one sided.

The reality is the city is expensive, and for all that's down there where are all the great museums, parks, and so on.... Druid Hill Park is one of the oldest and largest city parks in the country. It wasn't until recently it became moderately safe. And that is really sad.
When those riots broke out that really, really hurt the city, and it accomplished nothing. I ride the light rail often, was down their during the riots, and when the national guard was called in.
The light rail ridership dropped off exponentially after the riots. Just one example.
One thing I hated was when they had that auto race down there. I mean some of you might have liked it, but it was ugly as ****! WTF!?
Bottom line is the city is poorly run. Very poorly run, and no matter who pays taxes the tax base still is not strong enough to correct the issues. Maybe that is changing, but it is a slow process. I see they are making some progress along Howard Street, but not down near Lexington Market.
I can keep typing but I want to go for a walk on this pretty night, and walk in any direction for miles if I want and not have to look over my shoulder.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:30 AM

Well, I feel quite opposite being from Baltimore! The people in my own city (and I know these deplorables like the pimps knows hustling) make THIS place and THEIR own city intolerable by their behavior, lack of diversity in difference and plain stupidity at times. I get it why many folks in Baltimore don't like DC, it's because, in my perspective, DC makes you step up your game socially, financially, intellectually, politically and etc. Many people in Baltimore are content to live, think and behave in mediocrity, buffoonery, and have mentally locked themselves up inside of a cycle of victimization and self-suffering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Not particularly. The people make the place intolerable, especially if you're from Baltimore.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:33 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Well, I feel quite opposite being from Baltimore! The people in my own city (and I know these deplorables like the pimps knows hustling) make THIS place and THEIR own city intolerable by their behavior, lack of diversity in difference and plain stupidity at times. I get it why many folks in Baltimore don't like DC, it's because, in my perspective, DC makes you step up your game socially, financially, intellectually, politically and etc. Many people in Baltimore are content to live, think and behave in mediocrity, buffoonery, and have mentally locked themselves up inside of a cycle of victimization and self-suffering.

There's plenty of that in DC, as well as an unnamed adjoining County.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:58 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's plenty of that in DC, as well as an unnamed adjoining County.
Yea but the thing about DC is that there's different classes in the black community. Ghetto folks know they are ghetto, but theres still the metro and the bus stops in the neighborhood to move around and maybe go to a job. They dont run the area more than the well to do black folks.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:21 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore