Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 25,599 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family will be moving to the Baltimore area from NY in a few months. We have a young daughter, and have been looking at Owings Mills properties and Ellicott City properties.

We have heard that Owings Mills has an active Jewish community, which is important to us, but that the public schools are not that great. Private school is not an option for us. I also read on this board that parts of Owings Mills are not safe, though I'm not sure what that means- car break-ins, muggings, shootings???

We looked at Ellicott City, and found it to be a bit more expensive, less house for the same $$$, but that the schools rate better. Will my daughter be the only Jewish kid in her class? Is there an active Jewish community?

We need to make a decision soon, so any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:58 AM

68 posts, read 266,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdalemom View Post
Hello,
My family will be moving to the Baltimore area from NY in a few months. We have a young daughter, and have been looking at Owings Mills properties and Ellicott City properties.

We have heard that Owings Mills has an active Jewish community, which is important to us, but that the public schools are not that great. Private school is not an option for us. I also read on this board that parts of Owings Mills are not safe, though I'm not sure what that means- car break-ins, muggings, shootings???

We looked at Ellicott City, and found it to be a bit more expensive, less house for the same $$$, but that the schools rate better. Will my daughter be the only Jewish kid in her class? Is there an active Jewish community?

Sounds like you are "suburban people" -- I'd look at Pikesville, specifically, the heart of old Pikesville, which is still very heavily Jewish. I'm pretty sure the schools there are still considered good, and many of the families send their kids there still.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 PM

315 posts, read 1,299,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbelt View Post
Sounds like you are "suburban people" -- I'd look at Pikesville, specifically, the heart of old Pikesville, which is still very heavily Jewish. I'm pretty sure the schools there are still considered good, and many of the families send their kids there still.
Good call. Pikesville sounds like a good match.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:17 PM

Thank you for your replies. We did look at Pikesville as well, but either the houses were out of our price range, or we did not like the schools associated with it. I've heard that Pikesville is one of the best high schools in the area, but only 60-75% of kids pass the proficiency tests.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
I also read on this board that parts of Owings Mills are not safe, though I'm not sure what that means- car break-ins, muggings, shootings???

The area around the mall has had some problems, but for the most part, it's a relatively safe area all around.

Your daughter should not feel out of place in Ellicot City. The Baltimore metro area has a very large and prominent Jewish population. There are higher concentrations of Jewish people in some areas, moreso than others, the Pikesville area in Particular. However, you will not feel isolated here.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:45 AM

68 posts, read 266,065 times
Quote:
Thank you for your replies. We did look at Pikesville as well, but either the houses were out of our price range, or we did not like the schools associated with it. I've heard that Pikesville is one of the best high schools in the area, but only 60-75% of kids pass the proficiency tests.
So between one quarter and 40% of the students actually FAIL -- not just that they are not considered gifted or whatever, but they outright fail?
That doesn't sound accurate -- not that school. Where did you get this info -- you wrote that you "heard" this -- did you also see it repeated anywhere on an official govt. website (like "maryland schools report card" or whatever it's called)? I'm just curious, it doesn't sound correct.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I live in Pikesville (per the zip code) but it's actually Owings Mills so (north Pikesville). It is a great area with much diversity. My street includes Jewish, Persian, African American, Russian, Gay, WASP that I know personally. It is extremely safe. Schools in Pikesville (if you are in the Pikesville zip code) are good. You might discover some poor achievement because lower Pikesville (closer to the City line) encompasses some low income families who are struggling. Overall Pikesville schools are staffed with great teachers, have much community involvement and are highly regarded by most. I like Ellicott City as well, although I don't know that you will find a tight knit Jewish community there; and Ellicott City is much more expensive. Consider looking in north Pikesville, near the Owings Mills divide. There are wonderful neighborhoods with cultural diversity, convenience to the Beltway, low crime and interesting venues. Best of luck in your search.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:44 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default Either way is good

Riverdalemom -- If it is Jewish communal life you are looking for then it's Pikesville/Owings Mills, which is a huge area covering a bit of everything. Your daughter would not be the only Jewish girl in Howard, either, but the communal life doesn't compare.
An example. Baltimore has two excellent Jewish Community Centers. The newer one is in Owings Mills, a huge complex in an area that is still being developed. It has the Yale Gordon center for concerts, indoor/outdoor pools, etc.
I belong to the JCC on Park Heights Avenue in the city, which has been expanded and improved in recent years. I go there for a steam bath and swim every day and couldn't be happier. It compares favorable to the Harborview Health Club in the Inner Harbor area, where I was a member for several years. The JCC is spotless and has all kinds of exercise machines. The swim schedule is mostly segregated (separate male, female) and the center is closed for Sabbath. I believe the Owings Mills center has more liberal policies as a reflection of the surrounding population.
Both centers offer a great variety of programs for all age groups.
Pikesville/Owings Mills also has a number of Kosher shops and restaurants, if that is important to you. And of course there is a great variety of synagogues.
You did not specify whether you are buying or renting. In either case I would ask you to consider my neighborhood. I live in Cheswolde. We have plenty of apartments but the neighborhood consists mostly of single-family homes. The anchor of the community is Shomrei Emunah, which has expanded recently. But there are plenty of other shuls, including an architecturally intriguing Iranian synagogue that is about to be constructed at Parks Heights and Fallstaff.
Cheswolde is on the city side. The next neighborhood, across the county line, is Summit Park. Lots of ranchers; prices have come down and are good.
A word about our real estate market (which may be different from Owings Mills). Ours does not fluctuate because of normal economic conditions. Ours is determined by homebuyers from New York and New Jersey who move to Baltimroe because of religious and communal life. Despite that fact, prices are surprisingly affordable.
Because we have no children, I cannot address the school question which is important to you. Maybe others can. My neighbors' kids tend to go to religious schools.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Thank you for your replies. We are looking to buy, not to rent. We are interested in stores that carry kosher foods, but we seldom eat meat, and would be okay travelling to find a kosher butcher.

Ginbelt, I looked up the information on the district website, which includes the Maryland Report Card. This is the one for mathematics, - only 35% are either advanced or proficient. This means only 35% passed the HSA exam, 65% failed. This is direct from their site. I was surprised, too.
2007 Maryland Report Card: Baltimore County - Pikesville High

Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,723 times
Riverdale Mom,

Fiola Blum used to be a prominent real estate agent that served the Jewish community in Northwest Baltimore and the surrounding suburbs, including Owings Mills and Pikesville. It's now been merged into a larger regional real estate company, but follow this link: Fiola Blum Realtors

Call agents at that link. They will know all the in and outs of Jewish Baltimore, including neighborhoods, schools and services.

I will second Barante above and express surprise at Pikesville High not scoring will. This has traditionally been the Jewish public high school and has generally had strong academics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore