Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:39 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times

Advertisements

I would begin this post this way; no abuse intended:

ToneDeaf -- The history of American cities is an unending history of neighborhood change. The fact that Pimlico today is what it is does not mean that it has to be that way in the future.

A few years ago I was startled to see steady foot traffic past the race course on Park Heights Avenue by Orthodox Jews, many pushing baby proms. I asked a friend for an explanation. "Easy," he said, "they have been visiting someone at Sinai and this being Sabbath, they are walking."

So there are many reasons why a new development might be desirable. You may not want it, but someone else might.

Be safe in your gated community. I want to see your fence, though, because the height is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 02:01 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I would begin this post this way; no abuse intended:

ToneDeaf -- The history of American cities is an unending history of neighborhood change. The fact that Pimlico today is what it is does not mean that it has to be that way in the future.

A few years ago I was startled to see steady foot traffic past the race course on Park Heights Avenue by Orthodox Jews, many pushing baby proms. I asked a friend for an explanation. "Easy," he said, "they have been visiting someone at Sinai and this being Sabbath, they are walking."

So there are many reasons why a new development might be desirable. You may not want it, but someone else might.

Be safe in your gated community. I want to see your fence, though, because the height is illegal.
Bancroft Village is a townhome community on Park Heights Ave (Upper) in the City... Its almost completely sold out. It is populated mainly with Jewish Families. There are about 40 Townhomes in there. I can see similiar types of residential developments filling in Pimlico if designed propertly.. since there could be some demand for new housing in the area..though walking distance to places of workship may be a little further.

:: Bancroft Village Homes | ::

Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Default Incidentally

I was invited to speak about neighborhood transition at a condominium complex book club yesterday in Elkridge, Howard County. Some 30 people showed up.

I had no idea what their background would be. Turned out to be a racially mixed group of senior citizens, mostly from Baltimore, many Jewish. I was flabbergasted. The complex seemed nice but you definitely needed a car to get anything done.

More relevant is this: I exercise at the Jewish Community Center on Park Heights Avenue. When a bigger facility was built in Owings Mills, the thinking was to perhaps shrink the PH JCC. Instead it is growing, due to the influx of Orthodox families, many of modest means. If you go there at 8:30 any morning, you will see the lobby filled with children going to kindergarten.

So what does this mean? It means that millions have been spent in recent years to upgrade the Park Heights JCC. It means that Jewish families have returned to nearby streets like Jonquil. It also means that while the old Beth Jacob synagogue is pretty much mothballed, that is likely to be temporary.

One final observation about neighborhood change. There is a manor house known as the Slade Mansion further up on Park Heights, at Slade. It became a longterm care facility and then was put on the market where it languished.

This property, across from the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation, was recently purchased by an Islamic congregation. Across Park Heights on the west side is the Suburban Country Club, once the toniest Jewish gathering places where membership was restricted to families claiming German ancestry. . .

Last edited by barante; 09-10-2012 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I was invited to speak about neighborhood transition at a condominium complex book club yesterday in Elkridge, Howard County. Some 30 people showed up.

I had no idea what their background would be. Turned out to be a racially mixed group of senior citizens, mostly from Baltimore, many Jewish. I was flabbergasted. The complex seemed nice but you definitely needed a car to get anything done.

More relevant is this: I exercise at the Jewish Community Center on Park Heights Avenue. When a bigger facility was built in Owings Mills, the thinking was to perhaps shrink the PH JCC. Instead it is growing, due to the influx of Orthodox families, many of modest means. If you go there at 8:30 any morning, you will see the lobby filled with children going to kindergarten.

So what does this mean? It means that millions have been spent in recent years to upgrade the Park Heights JCC. It means that Jewish families have returned to nearby streets like Jonquil. It also means that while the old Beth Jacob synagogue is pretty much mothballed, that is likely to be temporary.

One final observation about neighborhood change. There is a manor house known as the Slade Mansion further up on Park Heights, at Slade. It became a longterm care facility and then was put on the market where it languished.

This property, across from the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation, was recently purchased by an Islamic congregation. Across Park Heights on the west side is the Suburban Country Club, once the toniest Jewish gathering places where membership was restricted to families claiming German ancestry. . .
I wish the Beth Jacob synagogue owners would have purchased the old Pimlico Middle School next door instead of the City turning it into a training facility. Hopefully, if they reopen the facility as you have said.. maybe the City will sell the facility to the so that it can be redeveloped. Additional housing for seniors and maybe few stores could go nicely there along with some open space. Very prominent corner could really strengthen that side of the street between Park Heights Ave and Reistertown Road backing up against some of those tranquil streets you referenced and on over to the Glen neighborhood

Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM

Default Something lost in translation

What are you talking about? Beth Jacob, founded in 1938, went out of existence; its owners did not purchase anything.

What I will say next I cannot prove but do believe. I said Beth Jacob was mothballed. I have no idea who owns it now. But I don't think anyone uses it.

It is mothballed for the same reason why the city bought the troubled old Pimlico Junior High School next to it: Neighborhood stability. Unruly school kids were too much trouble. It was more palatable to remove them, just as it was more palatable to do nothing with Beth Jacob.

If you think that the Beth Jacob property will be turned into commercial use, think again. Won't happen. Such a possible rezoning proposal would be dead on arrival.

Could the Beth Jacob property be eventually redeveloped together with the public safety training facility. Possible.

May I also point out that another big Park Heights synagogue, the former Har Sinai, while in some type of temporary use, is effectively mothballed.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM

260 posts, read 842,489 times
Actually, I believe the former Har Sinai sight is being used by Bnos Yisroel. A relatively new Orthodox Jewish day school for girls.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 AM

Default More new Homes (Upper Park Heights)

Just read on the December 11th BZA docket a proposal for the 3700 Block of Fords Lane.. that vacant parcel between Reisterstown and Fieldcrest along Fordham Lane looks like its about to be subdivided into 24 lots for presumably townhomes. Looks like it may be similiar development to Bancroft Village Townhomes off of Park Heights Ave.. This new development of about 40 townhomes is now completely sold out. This new development will likely have similiar success...

:: Bancroft Village Homes | Neighborhood ::

Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM

Interesting article on the fate of several liquor stores in Park Heights as it relates to a new zoning ordinance that will in effect force them to close. I can applaud the City's efforts to get liquor stores out of neighborhoods where there are more of them per capita than say other types of businesses. Park Heights will certainly still have PLENTY despite loosing the six of the 40 that inhabit the community. The down side is they will lose the tax revenue generated by these businesses and they will likely close their doors. The cost benefit may though still tip in favor of the community since the crime around some of these establishments will cease.. though others may argue it may simply move to another block where there is a store...>Atleast the BPD will have less ground to cover.

I feel for the Korean Business Community.. but I often wonder why Liquor Stores..Sure they are lucrative.. but are they lucrative as say a grocery store that doesnt sell liquor? If there is a need for fresh produce and groceries and the Korean Business (Grocer) Association has the ability both financially and from a business standpoint to provide groceries.. then it would seem to me they could get with the City and work togehter to provide the grocery service with maybe only a smaller portion of the stores footprint providing alcohol (if at all) Seems like that is the "win win" for everyone involved instead of simply closing businesses..the community gets fresh groceries.. the Korean Business community can stay in business.. and PH can take one step towards being revitalized.. though this will certainly not solve all of the area's problems

PH still is an enigma to me. I dont see how in the world it will ever be redeveloped without something significant happening at Pimlico Race Track..There is just no there there to make anyone with a housing choice move there when they can find safe and affordable neighborhoods in places like Loch Raven, Northwoods, West Hills, sections of Edmonson Village (north of Edmonson Ave) and parts of NE Baltimore if one is looking for similiar types of housing that is betweenn $80k and $150k. PH SHOULD be a desirable area because of its proximity to transit.. There are major bus lines down PH Ave and Reisterstown Road not to mention two Metro Subway Stations....However this has failed to even spark any market interest in the area. I believe the City will continue to let PH bottom out until they can acquire about 80% of the properties there.. then they may make some wholesale redevelopment efforts.. but that may not occur within any of our lifetimes.. The exception to this seems to be the area near Park Circle which has been designated "historic" and the sections along Druid Hill Ave facing the park and along Greenspring up to Sinai seem to be very stable.

Lifting up Park Heights by cracking down on liquor stores | Baltimore Brew

Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
There are still some very nice neighborhoods North of Pimlico, many inhabited by wealthy Jewish families who have been there for generations-large homes on large (for Baltimore) lots.

I've heard many debates on radio with members of KAGRO Baltimore opposing the enforced closure of the mom'n'pop walk up liquor stores in the Park Heights area. I do have some sympathy with their position-what they are doing is legal, they are paying taxes, and there is obviously a demand for their product. Whether they create or operate a public nuisance is debatable. As to why not sell something else, well the mark up and shelf life on shorties, forties, and miniatures is a lot higher and a lot longer than that on a head of cabbage or a snakefish. You mentioned all of the bus and subway access nearby-anywhere in Baltimore where people have to wait for public transit a successful liquor store is generally found nearby. Perhaps bus stops are the public nuisance?!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
^Um, no. It's the crappy liquor stores with plexiglass windows, that sell only illegal 15 packs of Boh Ice and bumwines, that are the nuisance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore