Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,298 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Baltimore. We're coming from Mississippi and seeking to move to a large Northeastern metropolis with a liberal-minded population. I would be working in Towson, while my wife will be working in Columbia. We would both prefer to live in a suburban area rather than in the city itself. Quiet is important to us!
We're looking to buy a house with a budget of $374k. Single family home, post-war build, sizeable backyard.

Recently we adopted two 11-year-old twins, one of whom is trans and was kicked out of her home, the other leaving to be with her. Both of us love kids but my wife is infertile. We are looking to make a move so they will be raised in a good environment. We want reasonable quality public schools!

A comfortable and quiet community is a must. Somewhere with lots of families, a fairly liberal population, and a decent commute to both of our workplaces. We do not want to live in Baltimore City, only Baltimore County or other suburban ones! Lastly my wife is Black so we want somewhere that is reasonably diverse.

Thank you!!!
-If you've spent any time in Philly check out our post about possibly moving there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 08:44 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
I would pick in between Towson and Columbia. Many folks are going to say west Catonsville, I prefer near Towson. Problem is one of you is going to have a long commute, and one won't.

Anyplace around Dulaney Valley Road will be nice. And expensive. But you could find something in your price range near it.

North is better, but being in the middle would be easier.

Remember like most suburbs there are commercial zones. Don't judge certain areas by main roads.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:00 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_fox View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to Baltimore.
I would be working in Towson, while my wife will be working in Columbia.
For how long? How long will you continue to work so far apart from each other (MAP LINK)?

Decide NOW which job/career has the better long term prospects for the household...
then start job hunting for another job, for the other spouse, as close by as possible.
And that of course will dictate which of the two areas to live in (own or otherwise).

Either end has all manner of reasons to choose it... trying to split the difference however really doesn't.
Don't plan to buy, anywhere or at any price, before you've made these decisions.

hth

Old 01-20-2021, 11:33 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Pikesville is calling your name. Just make sure you don't slip too far southwest and get zoned to the Randallstown school district.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:53 AM

Pikesville....even young Jewish people want out of there......

Old 01-21-2021, 09:05 AM

899 posts, read 540,929 times
$374k. Single family home, post-war build, sizeable backyard.

That will limit your options. You will have options, mind you, but it will determine where you can life.

I would look long and hard at Columbia itself and see if you can manage to get a townhouse, or perhaps even a fixer upper SFH in one of the older villages. Money goes further in Towson but Columbia proper is more diverse, has a bigger professional AA population, and will allow your wife to be closer to home for any childrearing needs.

Columbia and Towson are far apart enough that one of you will have to put up with a long commute (but perhaps in these days of greater WFH flexibility that may not be a problem for you).

There are areas where you can get a SFH on your budget between Columbia and Towson but research them carefully to see if you would be comfortable with them. Randallstown would be an option and is a predominately middle class AA area with a housing stock mostly from the 1960s (ranchers, splits). Schools aren't the best. Pikesville and Owings Mills may have options too. Towson will be a challenge on your budget unless you're fine with a townhouse. If you push your budget to 400k you may be able to find a modest SFH. Towson has good schools but isn't as diverse (but also isn't undiverse either)

Old 01-22-2021, 03:38 PM

122 posts, read 169,597 times
I would also recommend Columbia for diversity over Towson. However, if you are the parent who will picking up a sick child when the school calls, then I would strongly consider an area near your workplace.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:46 PM

Yeah, but nice for being nicer! Nobody is going to care what color, or race you are. Or will they be bothered by it.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:58 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Pikesville....even young Jewish people want out of there......
I lived in Pikesville for six years and enjoyed it. And that was before they got their very own Target! Granted, I moved out 20 years ago, and haven't really kept up with it since then. Is there a reason why you would recommend that the OP avoid it?

Old 01-24-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I lived in Pikesville for six years and enjoyed it. And that was before they got their very own Target! Granted, I moved out 20 years ago, and haven't really kept up with it since then. Is there a reason why you would recommend that the OP avoid it?
You liked Pikesville? And many young Jewish people are leaving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore