Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 06:08 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! How is this route during standard commute times safety wise? Guessing it's heavily traveled. The Owings Mills area looks to be up and coming with new developments alongside the Metro Rail line. How is that area in general regarding safety? Noticed there is a library and lots of other shopping amenities. Is it considered a bar type party area like Fells Point?

Looking for a laid back area with family friendly vibes, easy access to BWI and Hopkins. In Baltimore, the various harbor areas look nice but almost every apartment review mentions car break ins, and some form of pest problem including the unnamed that is furry and the first letter is "m" lol. Can't have that!!!!!! At this point it would likely be for one year's length of time in the area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 09:29 PM

Lol. Anybody??

Old 07-16-2023, 09:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Owings Mills is "up and coming"? The area around the metro station was a mall that was redeveloped but is otherwise meh.

The "hip" area around the harbor (so Lower Fells or Federal Hill etc) are fine, but yes property crimes does exist. Cars also get break into in places like Columbia or even Ellicott City...

No comment on the Metro Subway. Never rode it myself.

Old 07-17-2023, 05:18 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Lol. Anybody??
I havent taken the Metro Subway since the beginning of the pandemic. When I did take it.. it was to go downtown for festivals like Artscape, Jury Duty at the Courthouse, or to Sports Games. That said, I have never had any trouble. A subway is a subway, so you will get homeless or other "characters" on it but not to the level of say a NYC and some of the stories posted there. I think the biggest issue is what station you get on as most of the drama, from my experience has been in and or around certain stations. Owings Mills to Hopkins Stations are fine.

Access to BWI.. you can take the light rail to the Airport. My recommendation would be to take the MARC commuter train to BWI as it seems a little quicker, say from Baltimore Penn and you can take your luggage and a short bus ride from the actual train station to the terminal which is free. Consider living in Hampden, Mt. Washington, or even Woodberry for more family friendly areas that will still have access to all the amenities of the Inner Harbor/Downtown. All have access to the light rail, which you can take to BWI as I mentioned...

Good Luck

Old 07-17-2023, 07:14 AM

Thanks guys! Helpful info. I appreciate it

Old 07-17-2023, 06:45 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Thanks guys! Helpful info. I appreciate it
As an aside.. You will notice or will find out that Baltimore has a rather disjointed transit system for a "major city". The best way to utilize it is the way you seem to be approaching it. Living "on top of" transit.. Owings Mills as you indicated or places that are within a quick walk of a station. A one seat ride is the best approach. If you have to transfer. from a train to a bus.... God help you as buses are the least reliable.. Even the light rail has been ramping back up Post Covid to a functional level if you can get past the occasional bus bridges. So a combination of MARC if you are going out of town to DC, Metro Subway from Owings Mills, or Light Rail if you are along the 83 corridor or occasionally to BWI (if you dont use the MARC). Then layer in UBER, LYFT, Scooter or your own personal bike all as needed you should have all your bases covered

Old 07-18-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
As an aside.. You will notice or will find out that Baltimore has a rather disjointed transit system for a "major city". The best way to utilize it is the way you seem to be approaching it. Living "on top of" transit.. Owings Mills as you indicated or places that are within a quick walk of a station. A one seat ride is the best approach. If you have to transfer. from a train to a bus.... God help you as buses are the least reliable.. Even the light rail has been ramping back up Post Covid to a functional level if you can get past the occasional bus bridges. So a combination of MARC if you are going out of town to DC, Metro Subway from Owings Mills, or Light Rail if you are along the 83 corridor or occasionally to BWI (if you dont use the MARC). Then layer in UBER, LYFT, Scooter or your own personal bike all as needed you should have all your bases covered
All very helpful info. Thank you!

Old 07-18-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Owings Mills is "up and coming"? The area around the metro station was a mall that was redeveloped but is otherwise meh.

The "hip" area around the harbor (so Lower Fells or Federal Hill etc) are fine, but yes property crimes does exist. Cars also get break into in places like Columbia or even Ellicott City...

No comment on the Metro Subway. Never rode it myself.
Lol is it all propaganda? Owings Mills is NOT up and coming? Seems like the developers of the Metro Centre area are really pushing hard, especially with the new Marriott and several other new commercial builds - including a hotel ramping up.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:55 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Owings Mills is NOT up and coming?
That was 50 years ago.
The mall, the metro, I-795 are all 1980's era projects.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:17 AM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Lol is it all propaganda? Owings Mills is NOT up and coming? Seems like the developers of the Metro Centre area are really pushing hard, especially with the new Marriott and several other new commercial builds - including a hotel ramping up.
The immediate area around the station was redeveloped, yes (It was Owings Mill Mall which went dead and was demolished). The surrounding neighborhoods? It has already been built out with zero development. It's older suburbia that, if anything, is not even as great as it were.

And no, it's definitely not "bar type young people hangout" like Lower Fells or Fed Hill. Most young people who is looking for walkable areas will just find a place in those areas, especially if you're heading to Hopkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore