Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:16 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times

Advertisements

I know this question has probably been asked a hundred times on here but whatever. Nothing wrong with a fresh perspective since they may be dated threads. I may be taking a job in Baltimore (near Federal Hill) and I'm curious about a few things:

1) What are the best areas in the city for single young professionals? Most cities have certain sections that are ideal (coffee shops, restaurants, lounges, bars, etc.). I'm not too worried about rental prices so fire away with expensive areas if need be. I do prefer an eclectic, upscale community to be honest with you (think Adams Morgan, DuPont Circle, or Georgetown in DC)

2) Are there towns or cities in between DC and Baltimore that are also good for your single young professionals that offer similar venues? I really like to be active and social which is why I prefer the city but I'm open to an active suburb as well.

3) If I were to live in DC is the MARC train worth taking back and forth to Baltimore everyday? I've spent a lot of time in DC and I love the city and know it very well. My first inclination is to move to DC and take the train to work since it will cost me the same or less in gas on a monthly basis and less stress since I won't have to deal with traffic.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 05:20 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default I think you can read

Suggest you do some work. Nothing here changes so rapidly that it is "dated." Start with the neighborhood sticky and go on from there. If you have any specific questions that make sense, someone may help you. But you are casting wide with a fishing net.
You should also read the D.C. and suburban Maryland boards. Or hire a consultant to do this.

Last edited by barante; 04-04-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 04-04-2010, 07:04 PM

775 posts, read 1,785,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I know this question has probably been asked a hundred times on here but whatever. Nothing wrong with a fresh perspective since they may be dated threads. I may be taking a job in Baltimore (near Federal Hill) and I'm curious about a few things:

1) What are the best areas in the city for single young professionals? Most cities have certain sections that are ideal (coffee shops, restaurants, lounges, bars, etc.). I'm not too worried about rental prices so fire away with expensive areas if need be. I do prefer an eclectic, upscale community to be honest with you (think Adams Morgan, DuPont Circle, or Georgetown in DC)

2) Are there towns or cities in between DC and Baltimore that are also good for your single young professionals that offer similar venues? I really like to be active and social which is why I prefer the city but I'm open to an active suburb as well.

3) If I were to live in DC is the MARC train worth taking back and forth to Baltimore everyday? I've spent a lot of time in DC and I love the city and know it very well. My first inclination is to move to DC and take the train to work since it will cost me the same or less in gas on a monthly basis and less stress since I won't have to deal with traffic.

I do the reverse, live in Baltimore and take to train to Union Station in DC. It works well and as you mentioned about the same as gas and parking. I would certainly consider living in DC as opposed to Baltimore.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,467 times
The information here hasn't changed much, for good or for bad. Federal Hill, Canton, Mt Vernon, Fells Point, Harbor East, Locust Point are all worth looking into. Harbor East is the yuppiest of the bunch and the most expensive which is what it sounds like you're looking for. Commuting to Baltimore from DC would be tougher than the reverse since the Camden line doesn't run in the morning from what I understand.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 AM

775 posts, read 1,785,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
The information here hasn't changed much, for good or for bad. Federal Hill, Canton, Mt Vernon, Fells Point, Harbor East, Locust Point are all worth looking into. Harbor East is the yuppiest of the bunch and the most expensive which is what it sounds like you're looking for. Commuting to Baltimore from DC would be tougher than the reverse since the Camden line doesn't run in the morning from what I understand.
Camden line runs from both ways in the early morning. The first train leaves Camden station at 5:15 I'm pretty sure.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Camden line runs from both ways in the early morning. The first train leaves Camden station at 5:15 I'm pretty sure.
And the MARC Penn Line runs all day. There's a 7:21am train out of Union Station that is express to Penn Station (arrives at 7:53am). You can't beat DC to Baltimore in 32 minutes for the price of a MARC ticket.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post

If your job is in Federal Hill, I don't understand the need to commute. It is pretty similar to the places you are describing. You may want to look and spend some time in the Federal Hill area before you commit yourself to a long commute each day.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
If your job is in Federal Hill, I don't understand the need to commute. It is pretty similar to the places you are describing. You may want to look and spend some time in the Federal Hill area before you commit yourself to a long commute each day.
I will have to check it out. I'm a huge DC fan and I have read about all the negatives about Baltimore. Like anywhere else though, some people love it and some people don't. I guess I'm just being a little closed minded. If Federal Hill is a nice area it may well be worth looking into.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:18 PM

79 posts, read 228,608 times
Check out the larger row homes in Federal Hill near the hill itself or close to Light/Cross Streets. Compare them to condos for rent at Harborview, 1211 Light Street, even Harbor Court. You might try a more expensive rental in Mt Vernon, as it's close to the train station to get back to DC. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:30 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,467 times
Although not somewhere I'd live by choice alone, Baltimore is alright enough if you have to be here. I can't see commuting from DC daily unless you have a spouse who works in DC or some other similar family circumstance. You can still get to DC fairly easily when you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore