Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:13 AM

20 posts, read 142,926 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 27-year-old female moving to Baltimore from Richmond. I live in the city in Richmond and love it. I've also lived in Manhattan and loved it. But from what I've read, I'd be risking my life walking down the street by myself in Baltimore. I definitely prefer city life, so I was wondering if there were any suburbs or areas on the outskirts of the city that don't "feel" like suburbs? Maybe it has rehabbed row homes-turned-apartments or streets with walking traffic... cafes, shops, etc...

(FYI: The only suburb I've been to is White Marsh - and that is not my idea of a city-like suburb.)

Does this place exist?

Thank you!
Lindsay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 02:32 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
[
Well, you could live around the Harbor area. Quite expensive, but the best place in B'more.
The city is very rough, think of downtown old Richmond and not Shockoe Slip, but the nasty side of Broad. That is Bawlmore. I lived in Richmond to in Glen Allen back in 94. I liked the area also.

Take a trip to the city and look around. Don't go alone.
Your ok in the Harborplace area and even Fells but once you venture out it can be an experience.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Thank you. Yes, unfortunately the harbor is too expensive for me. Mount Vernon seems to be the only area in the city that is somewhat affordable and seems nice enough. However, the more I hear about the pervasive crime, I'm thinking maybe I should go to the suburbs since I'm going to be living alone.

My hope is that there is a suburb that still has some of the features of a city (walking traffic, neighorhood feel, sidewalk cafes, unique shops, etc...) If you're familiar with Richmond, think Carytown and The Fan... Is there anywhere outside of the city that has that sort of atmosphere?

Thanks!!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:34 PM

269 posts, read 1,054,549 times
If you lived in Richmond and NYC, you would be fine in the following neighborhoods: Charles Village, Hampden, Bolton Hill, Federal Hill, Canton
Mt. Vernon is great, but is less of a neighborhood (which can make it less safe). I'm not familiar with a lot of the southern neighborhoods, but maybe pigtown or locust point?
Good luck - and welcome!

Old 02-05-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorrisn View Post
If you lived in Richmond and NYC, you would be fine in the following neighborhoods: Charles Village, Hampden, Bolton Hill, Federal Hill, Canton
Mt. Vernon is great, but is less of a neighborhood (which can make it less safe). I'm not familiar with a lot of the southern neighborhoods, but maybe pigtown or locust point?
Good luck - and welcome!
Thanks! I appreciate your help. I will check out those areas.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 61,656 times
Default City living

Ok, first I really think that Baltimore is being rated harshly. YES-- there are places that are liveable in Baltimore! I lived in Mt. Vernon for 3 years and loved it. It has a very European feel to it with beautiful Victorian arcitecture, nice shops, posh restaurants and art gallerys. I also love neighboring Bolton Hill which has quieter streets and less noise. If you want to be around a lot of young people then Fed Hill and Canton are nice, but quite congested really. We have to keep in mind this is a city and there are certain risks you take living in ANY city. That being said, don't walk around by yourself after certain hours, etc. And honestly, scaring quality people away from moving to Baltimore is actually feeding the fire. If you love living in the city, then you have to be willing to accept that cities are messier than the suburbs. But I agree with the person who wrote that Baltimore is really getter better, it's reputation just hasn't caught up with it yet. I honestly think Baltimore is very up and coming and within 10 to 20 years will be very similar in prices and quality to Washington, DC.
Don't believe me? Read about it: http://www.citypaper.com/bob/story.asp?id=8956

Old 02-05-2007, 08:00 PM

Thanks Kristine... I appreciate your input. You're right, when so many of Baltimore's own residents are telling people to run for their lives, it really does carry a lot of weight. Your description of Mt. Vernon sounds very much like what I'm looking for. How was your parking situation there? Here in Richmond, I do street parking and can usually find something no more than a block away. How would that compare to your experience?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:48 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,549 times
Sorry to butt in - if you're looking in Mt. Vernon, I think you should look for places with parking (either part of the condo fee/ available for purhcase). There are a lot of restaurants and stores whose shoppers snatch up the street parking. I am one of those shoppers, and I've spent quite a few Friday and Saturday nights trying to find a spot. It's NOTHING like Canton or Federal Hill, but you won't always be able to park a block away.
Bolton Hill is mostly residential, so parking seems more available. I've had friends live in both neighborhoods (on Park and on Preston), and they each love(d) it. Best of luck.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:21 PM

74 posts, read 470,222 times
Check out Violetville. Its about 5 miles from the harbor, but no crime, tree lined streets, and good neighbors. It was rated "best community" last year in the City Paper. I'm also 27, and it's where I live now. Im actually moving to WV, but if I planned to stay in MD, this is the only place Id want to live. Housing around here goes fast, so make sure you check it out.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 PM

Blaine, I have never heard of Violetville. I will certainly check that out, thank you. I'll be renting, are there many apartments in this area?

And tmorrisn, yes the more I learn about Bolton Hill (on the internet at least) it seems like the best alternative so far. I'll be visiting in 2 weeks to check all these areas out. Would Park be considered the main street in Bolton Hill?

Another question: when I see ads for apartments in Canton, but the address says it's on Patterson Park, does that mean it's not really in the "good part" of Canton?

Thanks again everyone, you're really helping me figure this all out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: