Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:17 AM

21 posts, read 75,470 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband may be working for a company that operates in DC and Baltimore. If he works in Baltimore, then he'd be working in the Fells Point/Little Italy area. We have a two year old and a newborn and want to rent in the city for a year so my husband doesn't have much of a commute and we can take advantage of being in the city before and if we decide to move out to the suburbs.

Originally I was looking at Federal Hill because I've been there once before and know it to be more of a family friendly neighborhood. I'd like a place that has a sense of community, activities for the kids (other young families with children- we're about 30 years old), and parks and swimming would be great, too. Then I found out where his office would be and started thinking about the Fells Point/Patterson Park/Canton area but don't know much about it. Any suggestions as to where would be better/safer for a family- any areas to avoid?

I was pretty set on Fed. Hill, but can any of these areas rival it? We'd be renting and need at least a two bedroom, preferably $1800 or under and would like parking for one car- of course!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 12:14 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
You may find a larger home in both Patterson Park and Butchers Hill than you would in Federal Hill. They are all about the same in terms of crime, parking, etc. Also, look into Upper Fells Point. I love Federal Hill but the parking their can be brutal.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 AM

201 posts, read 590,024 times
I recommend joining the Downtown Baltimore Family Alliance. A great resource. We live in Butchers Hill / Upper Fells, and love the neighborhood. The park within walking distance is awesome. http://dbfam.org/

Old 06-22-2009, 11:02 AM

22 posts, read 170,893 times
I see a ton of young families with small children when I run in Patterson Park... it seems a lot of them live in Butcher's Hill. That is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city, and not as many parking issues as Fed Hill. I couldn't deal with the parking situation there- it would give me anxiety coming home on a Fri-Sun night after 8p and not being able to find anywhere to park by myself, much less with little ones!!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM

21 posts, read 75,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltong1009 View Post
I recommend joining the Downtown Baltimore Family Alliance. A great resource. We live in Butchers Hill / Upper Fells, and love the neighborhood. The park within walking distance is awesome. Downtown Baltimore Family Alliance
Thanks, I just found the family alliance website the other day- really interesting. And thanks for the neighborhood recommendation.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM

38 posts, read 131,357 times
Federal Hill is nice area, but also very young (early 20's), in my opinion. I would look more around the Paterson Park area or even Locust Point.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,940 times
Patterson Park/Butchers Hill.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:56 PM

17 posts, read 54,926 times
Patterson Park has been a great choice for our family, and you will be able to find quite a nice place to rent for under the 1800 per month you need to budget for houseing. My wife and two boys ages 4 and 8 moved to Patterson Park last July. We love the neighborhood and judging from the number of parents with strolers in the park, it seems like more and more families are finding the area appealing. There's no shortage of reasons why: access to Patterson Park and it's boundless suply of recreational opportunities the pool, the fishing lake, the ice skating rink, ball fields, the Pagoda, summer movies and festivals and concerts; our great public charter schools PPPCS (Patterson Park Public Charter School (PPPCS) and Hampstead Hill Academy - right across the park - (HHA47 - Hampstead Hill Academy), and our fun and phunky restaurants three, morning edition, La Pizzarea TexMex, Romans; 24 hour grrocery Santonis (they deliver, also); our latin and Italian delis; the diverse population; the proximity to both Hopkin's campuses; I could go on and on but I'll spare you all for now. Suffice to say that Patterson Park and/or Butcher's Hill and Upper Fells are all worth a good hard look if you want to move your family in to the city.

One caughtionary note: keep your house hunting south of Fayette Street. There are good deals on nicely rehabbed properties if you venture North of Fayette, but these would not be good family options, yet, as the crime rate north of fayette Street is still too high. .

Old 06-26-2009, 08:25 AM

689 posts, read 3,216,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Patterson Park/Butchers Hill.
I agree with this suggestion. If I was in a similar situation, I would choose these two neighborhoods (or Fells Point, close to Patterson Park) over Federal Hill or Canton.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 16,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouthnorthsouth View Post
Hi,

My husband may be working for a company that operates in DC and Baltimore. If he works in Baltimore, then he'd be working in the Fells Point/Little Italy area. We have a two year old and a newborn and want to rent in the city for a year so my husband doesn't have much of a commute and we can take advantage of being in the city before and if we decide to move out to the suburbs.

Originally I was looking at Federal Hill because I've been there once before and know it to be more of a family friendly neighborhood. I'd like a place that has a sense of community, activities for the kids (other young families with children- we're about 30 years old), and parks and swimming would be great, too. Then I found out where his office would be and started thinking about the Fells Point/Patterson Park/Canton area but don't know much about it. Any suggestions as to where would be better/safer for a family- any areas to avoid?

I was pretty set on Fed. Hill, but can any of these areas rival it? We'd be renting and need at least a two bedroom, preferably $1800 or under and would like parking for one car- of course!

Thanks!
Go down and check out the city pool at Patterson Park. Very welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: