Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM

152 posts, read 487,716 times

Advertisements

There's always Faidley's in Lex Market... I hear Oprah mail orders crabcakes from there, which must mean they're good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that G&M, Timbuktu (in Hanover near the airport), and By the Docks (in Middle River and nowhere near the docks) are owned by the same people. Regardless of ownership, all have excellent crabcakes.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:47 AM

503 posts, read 807,468 times
I'm fond of Roy's Quik Corner in Glen Burnie. It's carryout only, but they are quite good.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
janetvj -- At least G & M and the By the Docks are under the same ownership. Or so I was told by the owner of Cornerstone Grille, who said he had worked at the latter, if understood him correctly.
We'll go back to Cornerstone. Although it has the atmosphere of a truck wash cafe -- which it is -- the crabcakes were outstanding and so was the chicken noodle soup. The owners are a very personable young couple who are trying to make it against all odds. They need support and encouragement.
Incidentally, do we know one another? Canton? (I was a friend of Milton Bates).

Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
janetvj -- At least G & M and the By the Docks are under the same ownership. Or so I was told by the owner of Cornerstone Grille, who said he had worked at the latter, if understood him correctly.
We'll go back to Cornerstone. Although it has the atmosphere of a truck wash cafe -- which it is -- the crabcakes were outstanding and so was the chicken noodle soup. The owners are a very personable young couple who are trying to make it against all odds. They need support and encouragement.
Incidentally, do we know one another? Canton? (I was a friend of Milton Bates).
Not sure if your question is to me or to the OP, but I'll answer! I don't recall anyone named Milton Bates. I don't live in Canton, but my daughter does, so I spend a lot of time there. Baltimore is a small town - everybody seems to be connected one way or another. Instead of 6 degrees of separation, it's more like 3 degrees. Anyway, sounds like I might have to give Cornerstone a try.

And on that note, another ex-employee of By the Docks owns a convenience store/carry-out in Essex now called The Necks Stop (corner of Back River Neck Road and Holly Neck Road). He is also using what he learned about making crabcakes there in his new venture. Another plug to a hardworking guy (and his brothers) who are trying to make a go of it.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Am I rich? I remember when I first came to baltimore, I had home-made (I think anyway) crabcakes and they had strings of bluecrab in them. Now, everywhere I go, I see jumbo lump crabcakes. Where are they getting all the big lumps from? Am I just incredibly wealthy now so I don't have to eat the jumbo-lump-less crabcakes anymore, or is "jumbo lump" everywhere? I haven't had a bad crabcake in a long time.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 AM

25 posts, read 75,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
G&M has a following, mostly because its crab cakes are huge. But my friend, the crab cake scientist who is a Linthicum resident, says cakes across the street at Olive Grove (?) are about as good.

Not sure about the other places mentioned, but I know G&M and The Olive Grove share a common owner

Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM

103 posts, read 410,354 times
Havent been to the ones mentioned but I think Box Hill Pizzaria is pretty good up in Abingdon/Harford County (yes I know it's not in the city...). The worst I had (besides McDonalds) was Higgins in OC haha

Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 PM

569 posts, read 1,443,079 times
Johnny Dee's in Parkville
Crackpot Restaurant in Towson

Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
There was a bar on Reisterstown Road in Pikeville many, many years ago (I left Baltimore in 1966 to join the Army and never returned). As I remember, it was popular with many of the Colts players. They served the best crab cakes I ever had, as large as soft balls. I purchased a half dozen and took them back to a shop on Falls Road where my friends and I were working on our cars. One of the mechanics reached into the bag without looking and fiddled around a while until I asked him what he was doing. He complained that two must have been stuck together. I suggested that he pull them out into the open to separate them. That's when he discovered it was just one. Like I said, they were really big and delicious as well.

Now I must make my own. Fortunately, I can purchase "real" crab meat and follow the recipe on the Old Bay seasoning tin. I use a little more seasoning than the recipe calls for and I'm quite happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore