Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:20 AM

45 posts, read 209,387 times

Advertisements

Stephen King is a very known author of course, also here in the Netherlands. Except from him living there, is there anything special one can notice that he lives there? Are there streetnames, or storenames or plaques or statues or anything of that matter that refers to Stephen King? I heard from someone who has been there that the book store has a huge Stephen King section.

Just a general wondering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 04:32 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
There used to be a store downtown that was called "Needful Things" (gone now, I think) but that's the only thing I know of. I don't get the impression that he has much desire for statues or plaques or that sort of thing. He does have an interesting wrought iron fence around his house though (an old Victorian, very nicely restored).

Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
If you are talking about the bookstore, it is gone now. It's all online. Bummer.

There's the radio station which I believe he owns? But doesn't actually work there...

And then his house. Which..I would love to go and visit and take photos but I feel weird doing that. I'm sure he's used to it but...I dunno, feels like invading. Still working up to do it one day since I promised people I would. Sigh.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:08 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
We drove past his house about 20yrs ago. All I can remember is he had gargoyles on his fence.

I've always thought it was cool how he reps Maine the way he does. He could have been boring and moved to NY or L.A. or some gated community in Fla.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
We drove past his house about 20yrs ago. All I can remember is he had gargoyles on his fence.

I've always thought it was cool how he reps Maine the way he does. He could have been boring and moved to NY or L.A. or some gated community in Fla.
Doesn't he spend his winters in FL? I thought I read somewhere that he does...I think it was after he got plowed in to by that van.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Doesn't he spend his winters in FL? I thought I read somewhere that he does...I think it was after he got plowed in to by that van.
Stephen King's Sarasota, Florida home and community profile - includes house photo

Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,609 times
Quote:
Well, he is 64 years old now, 65 in September, and the injuries he sustained in that accident were substantial enough that the rescue squad folks were amazed he lived long enough to get to a hospital. So moving to a warmer climate in the winter is probably a good idea. He has some good friends down there, too, including Dave Barry. They used to get together to play rock n' roll occasionally. (They were both in the group he formed, the Rock Bottom Remainders, with some other writers that used to tear up the floor at writing conventions. He once said he admired the way Amy Tan could rock a miniskirt!) His writing output has dropped substantially since the accident, and I get the impression that he considers himself sort of semi-retired. It's not like he needs the money.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,931 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was June when the van hit him....no snow on the road. Maybe the warmer FL weather is more appealing to his aging, injured by the van body.

Here....use this link if you don't want to take pics yourself. http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...i9i8&fr=mcafee

Old 08-13-2012, 03:05 PM

399 posts, read 854,640 times
His house in Bangor is really nice with spider webs in the wrought iron fence. It is a Victorian design and looks like he has added on many times in the back.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
His house in Bangor is really nice with spider webs in the wrought iron fence. It is a Victorian design and looks like he has added on many times in the back.
I was at a business function in bangor a few yrs ago, and someone asked if we could all get in a van and see steven kings house-so we did....
the driver said they must be used to people stopping and taking pictures..... just watch out for any pets...cats or dogs, none seem to be friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area