Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 02:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark s. View Post
which is a horror, because there is one great truth in american life: the people most willing to take off their clothes are the last people who should.

seriously. There should be a minimum height-to-weight ratio, along with regulations about shaving your back before losing your shirt.

This is a public safety issue. I shouldn't have to risk my eyes bleeding when i go for a coffee.
*lol*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 10:27 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,406,011 times
I know Burlington pretty well. Personally I would choose Bangor, but that is just my subjective opinion.

Burlington is going to be a wealthier area, more jobs. To me the "immediate" scenery around Burlington is much prettier than Bangor with views of Lake Champlain, Adirondacks, Green Mountains. Has a solid airport. Tons of downhill skiing close. Montreal 1.5 hrs drive. Much bigger then Bangor, 175k people in the greater Burlington metro. Burlington will be more so called "hipster", probably better nightlife and all that if important. All the shopping you need.

***Here are the cons of Burlington for me***
-very far left politically (I am more in the center to lean right, so this is a non starter for me - and VT gets more and more lefty every day - they are driving everyone to the right of Karl Marx out of the state)
-Burlington will have MUCH higher housing costs both rents and house prices. The Burlington area is not far off in price from places like Seattle, Boston, DC, etc... in costs of housing
-VT has a very high overall tax burden
-downtown Burlington is very dominated by having the Univ of VT right there in town, it is heavy student dominated town
-traffic can be pretty bad getting in and out of downtown Burlington
-you are 3 hrs from the ocean

In summary, being much cheaper for housing and not as far left politically are two big benefits for me of Bangor over Burlington.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:15 AM

164 posts, read 188,915 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL7uW4TYqbs

Old 09-16-2019, 02:37 AM

229 posts, read 316,835 times
I'm going to take the whole year to decide. Thank you for all your input. I'll spend time in the winter in both places in the next 12 months and see.
Yes, I've noticed that about nudist, it's always older white guys in horrible shape who really think the world should see them. Go figure.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:04 PM

18 posts, read 26,658 times
I love Burlington and live near Bangor. Bangor has Stephen King and a very nice library partially through his contributions. I don't think Bangor is more interesting than Burlington. There isn't anything here that's comparable to Mad River. Belfast is a sweet little town but may be overrated. Another town that size and to me much more interesting is Camden. To live in Maine is either to live by the ocean or near skiing, period. Regardless of where you settle, Maine is a poor state and every town has poverty. Some more extreme than others. Bangor has restaurants and shopping, a growing art community, colleges, a university, large medical center. In my mind, depends on the type of people you want around you.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:06 AM

63 posts, read 63,608 times
Default don't forget summer traffic

You should also visit during height of summer tourist season. I've been in Camden's July traffic jams. Granted, they are relatively small but also quite annoying. Camden has one traffic light and traffic through it is: s l o w

Old 01-11-2021, 06:28 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Burlington has changed alot in the last year. Politics is going extreme left, the police have been defunded to a large extent, and there is a fairly large contingent of militant protestors (from the college?) who come out at the drop of a hat. There was an encampment most of the summer in the waterfront park populated by BLM/femmes and some other offshoots that I was not familiar with.

When I moved here in 2003, I LOVED going into B'ton for a day of shopping, walking along the waterfront, having a nosh, etc. Now, I rarely go. There is a giant hole in the middle of the city that in true VT fashion remains an unfinished project. Lots of graffiti and getting a bit of a down-trodden feel. The bus terminal area seems to attract a fringe element. I would come do a drive around before settling on B'ton to make sure it's really an environment you want to live in.
I live 30 miles north and frequent the lovely ski resort town near me - although many VTers consider it a snob town because of the tourists. Well, baby, tourists bring money in and the town offers a lot year round (well, pre-Covid).
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area