Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:44 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,229 times

Advertisements

Well, thank you very much for that response. You definitely did clarify a lot for me. I'd like to pay you a compliment also. I assume you are in your early 20's considering you graduated in 2000. You seem very intelligent about your surroundings for such a young person. I'm really not much older, a young "30-something" but can tell you that even though that's not much older, people my age don't appreciate much here.

It's sad because as I've said several times in this forum, New Jersey really is a beautiful state. We have some wonderful scenery and tons of beautitul place and fun things to do. However, the people here ruin it, truly. It seems like people here struggle to have better, to move to a better town, get their kids into a better school system, then when they get there, they treat it like where they came from and end up ruining that too. People litter, graffiti big time. It's just a shame. I enjoyed growing up here. To my friends and I it was a great experience, we had a childhood kids couldn't even dream up now. We didn't have all the electronics but we had great games, movies and imaginations. We also had streetsmarts from being near the city but came from tight families. My kids will never see that here. My mom used to kick me outside when it was nice out. Every kid in the neighborhood was out and wasn't allowed to come in until dinner. Now, my daughters aren't allowed outside unless I'm out there to supervise. Our friends parents and our neighbors were allowed to discipline us if they caught us getting into trouble. Now, someone's doing something to a kid they shouldn't be doing and people just turn their heads...don't want to get involved. My town is in the top 75 school systems in NJ and we just had two drug busts here in the past month (and those aren't the first this year), one of the dealers was a high school senior making over $700 a week. The end of last year, the trouble started in the Junior High. My parents were lucky that I was too naive to do something like that. Now, parents have crackheads for kids. My husband and I have a saying that if the worst things our kids do is get piercings or tattoos we're the luckiest parents. Some people are even considered lucky if all their kids do is get pregnant!!! That's sick that we have to think things like this. I have to pray my kids don't join a gang....what???!! Our gangs used to be heavy metal kids, jocks who liked sports, guidos (the wanna-be italians with gawdy jewelry) and nerds....they weren't even called gangs!!! So that's just a taste of what I would like to take my kids away from. I know that we can't prevent everything, or we'd all live in a bubble, and I know there are plenty of places much worse than where I live. I would miss my family and friends dearly but we gotta get out of here...soon.

I appreciate all the Maine feedback I can get. We're mainly interested in the greater portland area (I'd go up to Bangor but I don't think my husband would want to go that far, at least not right now). So keep the opinions and info coming. Website referrals are also appreciated.

You also made the example reference to a pool installer, I've asked this before but I'd like additional opinions too, what about a general contractor (roofing, siding, windows, bathrooms, kitchens) having his own business...can they make good money being self-employed up in Maine? What about little stay-at-home-mom businesses like tupperware, home decor, candle parties, etc.? And lastly, real estate, I have my NJ license, would like one in ME too.

btw Droobie, you'd never want to own a home here!! A cheap property tax is considered $6,000-$7,000 and I mean real cheap. Here, if you pay under that than you most likely live in a ghetto or the boondocks. Sick, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2006, 12:38 PM

92 posts, read 226,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
Well, thank you very much for that response. You definitely did clarify a lot for me. I'd like to pay you a compliment also. I assume you are in your early 20's considering you graduated in 2000. You seem very intelligent about your surroundings for such a young person. I'm really not much older, a young "30-something" but can tell you that even though that's not much older, people my age don't appreciate much here.
Thanks. I'm 25.

I work as an IT guy for a few places in Jersey, I think it's the fast paced and 'stacked on each other' nature of the state. 8.4 million people in a state the size of 1/4 of this one. People work in the city and have extensive commutes.. It's definitely a situation to make people rigid. It's hard to believe they expect the population to double there in the course of the next 20 years.

One of my friends lives in Spotswood and said it used to be farm lands and a lot different than it is now. He does like his neighbors and his community though. People in Camden and Newark probably don't feel the same. :-)

Quote:
It's sad because as I've said several times in this forum, New Jersey really is a beautiful state. We have some wonderful scenery and tons of beautitul place and fun things to do. However, the people here ruin it, truly.
I definitely agree with this. I know great people there, but it's through association with other great people.

Quote:
It's just a shame. I enjoyed growing up here. To my friends and I it was a great experience, we had a childhood kids couldn't even dream up now.
Pennsylvania is the same way, I enjoy driving through that state, in ways some of it is like driving through here. But now people are moving toward there because housing in NJ and NYC area is so expensive. I think we're going to see PA suffer the same fate that NJ did.

Quote:
My mom used to kick me outside when it was nice out. Every kid in the neighborhood was out and wasn't allowed to come in until dinner.
It was like that here during my childhood. I moved a few miles away from where I grew up (also in Bangor, was born here too). Here where I live now there's a lot of little kids from 1 year up through high school. They're usually out playing street hockey (this isn't a through street) or throwing the ball around.

There's a lot of parks here and the Parks and Rec department hires people in the summers to watch kids and provide activities (They also provide some bus field trips, like to the Bangor State Fair (bangorstatefair.com), the movies, and other things. They have several public pools as well. Most of the schools have playgrounds as well that kids frequent even when school isn't in session.

Not much of this has changed here. As far as I know the Parks and Rec still does their thing each summer and there are other activities going on such as the Shakespeare festival and the final year of the National Folk Festival (which has been here the last few years).

Quote:
Our friends parents and our neighbors were allowed to discipline us if they caught us getting into trouble.
That still happens here *laughs*.. Oh I remember those days too not too long ago.. "Don't make me tell your mother" definitely is a phrase that will be embedded in my head forever.

Quote:
Now, someone's doing something to a kid they shouldn't be doing and people just turn their heads...don't want to get involved.
It's like that in a lot of places.. If people are broken down on the side of the road people will stop here, or they'll call State Police to get someone help. In other states (like Mass), people won't call it in or stop. I think as population increases and there's more people clumped together in any particular place, things turn less friendly.

But Boston is still my city and whatnot, don't get me wrong. I drive there from here to catch a Red Sox game or a Bruins game and then come back the same day. It's about 8 hours round trip and there is plenty to see there, such as the Museum of Science and the Aquarium, two things I have yet to see even though I'm there pretty often.

Quote:
My town is in the top 75 school systems in NJ and we just had two drug busts here in the past month (and those aren't the first this year), one of the dealers was a high school senior making over $700 a week.
The HS here does random searches with drug dogs around and through the lockers. I Don't think they've ever found anything except for someone who had joints in a Marlboro cigarette box in their bag once, but it definitely keeps that situation at bay.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
...I'd like to pay you a compliment also. I assume you are in your early 20's considering you graduated in 2000.....
Thanks. I'm 25.

I work as an IT guy for a few places in Jersey, I think it's the fast paced and 'stacked on each other' nature of the state. 8.4 million people in a state the size of 1/4 of this one. People work in the city and have extensive commutes.. It's definitely a situation to make people rigid. It's hard to believe they expect the population to double there in the course of the next 20 years.

One of my friends lives in Spotswood and said it used to be farm lands and a lot different than it is now. He does like his neighbors and his community though. People in Camden and Newark probably don't feel the same. :-)

Quote:
....We have some wonderful scenery and tons of beautitul place and fun things to do. However, the people here ruin it, truly....
I definitely agree with this. I know great people there, but it's through association with other great people.

Quote:
It's just a shame. I enjoyed growing up here. To my friends and I it was a great experience, we had a childhood kids couldn't even dream up now.
Pennsylvania is the same way, I enjoy driving through that state, in ways some of it is like driving through here. But now people are moving toward there because housing in NJ and NYC area is so expensive. I think we're going to see PA suffer the same fate that NJ did.

Quote:
My mom used to kick me outside when it was nice out. Every kid in the neighborhood was out and wasn't allowed to come in until dinner.
It was like that here during my childhood. I moved a few miles away from where I grew up (also in Bangor, was born here too). Here where I live now there's a lot of little kids from 1 year up through high school. They're usually out playing street hockey (this isn't a through street) or throwing the ball around.

There's a lot of parks here and the Parks and Rec department hires people in the summers to watch kids and provide activities (They also provide some bus field trips, like to the Bangor State Fair (bangorstatefair.com), the movies, and other things. They have several public pools as well. Most of the schools have playgrounds as well that kids frequent even when school isn't in session.

Not much of this has changed here. As far as I know the Parks and Rec still does their thing each summer and there are other activities going on such as the Shakespeare festival and the final year of the National Folk Festival (which has been here the last few years).

Quote:
Our friends parents and our neighbors were allowed to discipline us if they caught us getting into trouble.
That still happens here *laughs*.. Oh I remember those days too not too long ago.. "Don't make me tell your mother" definitely is a phrase that will be embedded in my head forever.

Quote:
Now, someone's doing something to a kid they shouldn't be doing and people just turn their heads...don't want to get involved.
It's like that in a lot of places.. If people are broken down on the side of the road people will stop here, or they'll call State Police to get someone help. In other states (like Mass), people won't call it in or stop. I think as population increases and there's more people clumped together in any particular place, things turn less friendly.

But Boston is still my city and whatnot, don't get me wrong. I drive there from here to catch a Red Sox game or a Bruins game and then come back the same day. It's about 8 hours round trip and there is plenty to see there, such as the Museum of Science and the Aquarium, two things I have yet to see even though I'm there pretty often.

Quote:
My town is in the top 75 school systems in NJ and we just had two drug busts here in the past month.....
The HS here does random searches with drug dogs around and through the lockers. I Don't think they've ever found anything except for someone who had joints in a Marlboro cigarette box in their bag once, but it definitely keeps that situation at bay.

Quote:
Now, parents have crackheads for kids.....
The crackheads are now the parents in many cases. I think these people need to go back to health class and learn how reproduction works, obviously they didn't grasp it the first time through that certain activity results in kids.

I do really think that most kids do get through school and succeed as individuals in society. But, even here, we do have a few that tend to make for nothing but trouble. News is always bad news because 'everything is going well' would make for a very hefty newscast or article.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Some people are even considered lucky if all their kids do is get pregnant!!!
I think what's worse is when the parents aren't surprised or angry, they just say 'Oh.. Well ok, we'll watch him on the weekends so you can get some alone time.".. My mother would say "WELLL WELL WELLL.. You took health class, right? ".. It'd start there, and get much much worse.

Quote:
I have to pray my kids don't join a gang....what???!! Our gangs used to....
We don't and didn't have gangs when I grew up, but we had social 'cliques' which are similar. However, the stories regarding Freshman being dunked in the toilet upsidedown is wives tales. I waited to watch for that sort of thing to happen my entire HS career and it was something that never evolved.

We had one year (my sophomore year) where there were several fights in the course of a week. Their solution was 10 day mandatory suspension for everyone involved. I think there was maybe one more fight after that, and that was it. I'm glad with the fact that the school is willing and capable of adapting to reduce problems. It's a HS of 1500 students, some of the surrounding towns send kids here.

The west and east side of the city have their own schools, except for the high school, which they share. I grew up on the east side, but the School Department governs both sides of the city.

Quote:
So that's just a taste of what I would like to take my kids away from.....
I think everyone wants an ideal situation, which is why I'm here. I could make a lot more money elsewhere, but the people and the fact I look out back and see trees, snow, etc. each day, definitely keeps me from a dire urge to smack around everyone. That and the snowmobiling here.

Quote:
I appreciate all the Maine feedback I can get....
I like the Portland area, I go there for Portland Pirates and Portland Seadogs games. A good friend of mine's mother works in a school as a teacher in one of the areas there too. If you're into that general area, you should check out Scarborough, which is slightly out of the city but nice houses and a good experience.

Quote:
...general contractor (roofing, siding, windows, bathrooms, kitchens) having his own business... What about little stay-at-home-mom businesses ... And lastly, real estate, I have my NJ license, would like one in ME too.
A lot of people are small business and self employed here. There are plenty of contractors as well, it boils out to if you can be successful with keeping people happy. Referrals spread like wild-fire up in this area (slightly less in the southern part of the state, more people). Someone who treats you right is often hard to find.

The costs to exist here are relatively low and thus 'good money' is relative too. It is possible to make a successful and reasonable living here being self-employed in a lot of arenas, including contracting.

I'm not so sure about tupperware, etc. However, This place is as good as any for Ebay and other online based stay-at-home businesses. I don't know about the results for success with Avon and those types of things however. 60% of the state lives within an hour of Portland, more people is more possibility, at the very least.

Real Estate is a market I don't know a lot about. There are places that do sell real-estate here, some individually and some through chains such as Century 21. As far as I know, many are always hiring, and it is possible they could provide you insight on potential success. People do buy and sell houses in this state, just like any other .

Mainetoday.com covers southern Maine for job listings, BangorNews.com covers Bangor. I would check there to see if any Real Estate jobs are opened up, and pick some brains, they should be more than willing to give you ideas of the potential.

Quote:
btw Droobie, you'd never want to own a home here!!
I've seen house costs there. A tar-paper shack is 200 grand. Scary stuff. That's why many people still live with family in NJ.

Most housing, including new developments are well under 300 grand here. The houses where I am were around 100-160K when I moved to this development 14 years ago. 4 bedroom and 2 bath houses even. In the Portland area it's a little more money, but nothing like in much of NJ.

My brothers house here in Bangor was around 60K and he has a park in his backyard and lives a few miles from me. It's nice to see kids out playing baseball and things like that. The city fences off their parks so that kids don't wander into the neighbors yard too.

--D

Old 04-21-2006, 06:15 AM

Well, Droobie, that's what I'm looking for! A clean, healthy, safe place to live where my kids can play outside without waiting for me to go out with them or tell them to stay in front of the window where I can see them...how do you play in front of a window?

Anyway, I was curious, what is it you do that you are an IT and you travel (International Trader?) Well, since you travel a lot and have been to many places, what do you think of the NH seacoast? See, I've been "diehard" Maine for like a year now. But people have told me, like I said to you earlier, the cost of living is higher, so look into New Hampshire. I wasn't thrilled but I did and I go in the forums there too a little. I just posted an inquiry about the seacoast area, but I thought you might know something too.

I prefer Maine (and my husband keeps telling me that I have a way around everything that keeps leading to Maine) but if NH is more up our alley for now, maybe we should start there. In your opinion, does it have the same qualities that Maine has? Schools, jobs, etc? So far, I think it's a lovely place to visit, I don't think I'd like living there, don't know why (maybe because it's further away from my man Stephen King... LOL) however from what I've seen, the NH seacoast seems to have more job opportunity than Maine (sorry if I'm wrong). If that is the case and I still don't want to move to NH, then tell me what you think of southern Maine (Berwick, York areas, etc.) maybe we could just commute. Thanks again!!!

Old 04-21-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
how do you play in front of a window?
You don't, not easily, easier to stay inside.

Quote:
Anyway, I was curious, what is it you do that you are an IT and you travel (International Trader?)
I'm in Information Technology. I don't travel a lot but I'm throughout New England here and there. I used to drive transport vehicle once upon a time to move moving equipment too in this area.

Quote:
Well, since you travel a lot and have been to many places, what do you think of the NH seacoast? See, I've been "diehard" Maine for like a year now. But people have told me, like I said to you earlier, the cost of living is higher, so look into New Hampshire.
New Hampshire doesn't have income tax or sales tax, they make it up with extensive property tax. The big issue I have about Southern NH is that a lot of those people are working in Boston and living there. Nothing directly against people from Boston but Northern NH is much more friendly and more like here than Southern NH is.

Quote:
I prefer Maine (and my husband keeps telling me that I have a way around everything that keeps leading to Maine) but if NH is more up our alley for now, maybe we should start there. In your opinion, does it have the same qualities that Maine has? Schools, jobs, etc?
That region is about 3 hours south of me. I'd assume the schools are fine, and that job opportunity is on par or better than in the Portland area. It's also around an hour from there to Boston metro area.

Quote:
So far, I think it's a lovely place to visit, I don't think I'd like living there, don't know why (maybe because it's further away from my man Stephen King... LOL)
His place is on the west side of town, like 3 miles or so from here. He walks around town reading a book and donates a lot of time and money to the community. Heck of a guy really.

Quote:
however from what I've seen, the NH seacoast seems to have more job opportunity than Maine (sorry if I'm wrong). If that is the case and I still don't want to move to NH, then tell me what you think of southern Maine (Berwick, York areas, etc.) maybe we could just commute. Thanks again!!!
The Seacoast area may or may not have more job opportunities, this goes back to what I've said in the past about 'what kind of jobs'. The winner is to look in the newspaper job boards for these regions and get a feel of what kind of jobs are available and how plentiful in that sector.

I like Berwick a fair deal. I have friends who live there and some who work at the school. If there was a pick for Southern Maine regions I'd want to live, that'd be the one. I go there pretty often for football games on the big screen and whatnot. It's about 45-1 hour from the Portland metro area. There is Walmart over in Somersworth NH, grocery stores, etc. (all sales tax free even). However, for the big mall experience, Portland is the place to go.

I'd stand clear of Sanford for the same reasons why I'd stand clear of Lewiston. If you happen to be in this area and go through Sanford you'll see what I mean. Much of it is pretty bad off.

--D

Old 04-25-2006, 08:45 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,690 times
<<New Hampshire doesn't have income tax or sales tax, they make it up with extensive property tax. The big issue I have about Southern NH is that a lot of those people are working in Boston and living there. Nothing directly against people from Boston but Northern NH is much more friendly and more like here than Southern NH is.>>

but southern Maine is now getting Boston commuters, too....especially since the Downeaster train service went into effect. So, that area is experiencing quite a lot of transplants coming in.

<<That region is about 3 hours south of me. I'd assume the schools are fine, and that job opportunity is on par or better than in the Portland area.>>

New Hampshire is much better at attracting businesses (manufacturing, electronics, high tech, etc) than Maine, so the seacoast area and southern NH has really grown in comparison to southern Maine. Maine is still a state dominated by small business (self-employed or mom and pop type stuff).

As for gangs and drugs in schools, yes there are both - certainly the Rockland area and the high school there have been in the news lately for both. Methamphetamine is a growing problem as it is in most rural areas, though I wouldn't say it's excessive at this point...there are lots of treatment centers throughout the state, because hey - we are a welfare state and pay for everyone (some deliberate sarcasm there!).

Old 04-26-2006, 03:33 AM

I was wondering what you meant by "we are a welfare state"? I know you said you were being sarcastic however, some sort of truth must be supporting your opinion, whether the tone was sarcastic or serious. When I checked (can't remember now where I found it) there seemed to be a low rate of unemployment and a low rate poverty level. Keep in mind, when I compare Maine, it's to NJ. But I could swear I saw actual statistics that showed Maine wasn't "that poor", for lack of better terminology.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,826 times
MsJL, I have lived in Maine all of my 60 years with the last 28 of them in Milford. It is truly a great place to live, raise children, work, retire, or anything else you can think of. Crime is almost non-existant except for domestic abuse which does get in the news a lot. Our neighbors are the best and we all look out for each other. Good luck with your plans.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:01 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,401,086 times
Crime in Bangor? Nah!
There is only one high crime area in the whole state of Maine, which is Augusta. Home of the Maine State Government!
Heck, those scabs steal as much money off Mainers as possible.
Maine is #1 in the nation in overall taxation.

Outside of the Augusta's crime wave Maine is a wonderful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area