Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times

Advertisements

There's no real easy way to pick them. It takes time. You can try shaking them into a small open container then dumping them into your bucket. If they're ripe it works, though marginally. We wash them and pick out the sticks and leaves then freeze them on cookie sheets. After they're frozen we vacuum seal them as the frozen berries don't crush under the vacuum. Then back to the freezer until the snow flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,687 times
Aha!! Thank you very much, Maineah. I have a vacuum sealer and have not formed the habit of using it. I totally forgot about the dern thing.

Your method sounds great and may justify the expensive food saver purchase.

Gotta get busy. I really don't want to waste these berries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
There's no real easy way to pick them. It takes time. You can try shaking them into a small open container then dumping them into your bucket. If they're ripe it works, though marginally. We wash them and pick out the sticks and leaves then freeze them on cookie sheets. After they're frozen we vacuum seal them as the frozen berries don't crush under the vacuum. Then back to the freezer until the snow flies.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Aha!! Thank you very much, Maineah. I have a vacuum sealer and have not formed the habit of using it. I totally forgot about the dern thing.

Your method sounds great and may justify the expensive food saver purchase.

Gotta get busy. I really don't want to waste these berries.
We have two Food Savers and love them! I bought the first one for processing deer and moose though we've used them for lots of other stuff over the years. Great for fast marinating meats for the grill. They really work well with the berries. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,311 times
Big Blueberry is watching you.

I eat a bowl of blueberries a few nights a week. They aren't the best tasting out here but they're supposed to be good for me. Something about helping my innards from internal corrosion and rust I think.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Big Blueberry is watching you.

Something about helping my innards from internal corrosion and rust I think.

LOL!!!!
So you do not need to call Rota-rooters!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
After they're frozen we vacuum seal them as the frozen berries don't crush under the vacuum. Then back to the freezer until the snow flies.
I never thought about that. That's great!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I never thought about that. That's great!
It works great for anything like that. You can even do stuff like Lasagna and containers of stew then just pop them into boiling water for 20 minutes and it's just as good as the day it was made. Excellent for camping.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM

121 posts, read 338,097 times
I saw a PYO blueberry sign today, i think it was $2.00

on 143, south of Etna

Old 08-06-2008, 05:31 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Hello, to the Maine blueberry connection! We are in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania and have several wild bushes in our back yard. We moved here in the spring of 2007.

Our bushes are loaded this year!!! As a matter of fact, I sorta have the willies of pickin' 'em. I can't believe I said that though. I pass up those little containers in the grocery store because of the cost. Yeah. I need to go pick.

Does anyone have any idea why this has been such a good year for blueberries? I thought it was because I tied foil cake pans with faces drawn on them to the bushes so the birds and squirrels didn't clean them out. Duh! Well, I do think they may have helped some.

Is there a picking technique that would make the job go faster? The bushes are in a scrubby area, outside of the landscaping, between us and the lake...not the most fun place to stand for long periods of time.

Do you freeze them on trays after washing, and then put them into bags? Or do you just put them into the bags and freeze them?

Any blueberry tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
Oh man, my earliest blueberry picking experiences were in the Poconos. You just brought me right back. We would row out to an island in the lake where my friends family had a vacation house and pick to our hearts content. No idea how to pick faster. Not eating while you pick may be a start. I can't help it though. The sun warm berries are impossible to resist.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 PM

411 posts, read 898,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmonkey View Post
I saw a PYO blueberry sign today, i think it was $2.00

on 143, south of Etna
I will say thank you on behalf of Starwalker and myself... we are going to be sure to check this one out! More blueberry picking in our future, I see it clearly! (That is, if I ever have time between working online now, farming, moving my parents, and taking care of the house, lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area