Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 07:45 AM

146 posts, read 454,483 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance to any answers to these questions!

1. Looking on Google Earth I saw a large industrial plant of some sort east of the UMaine campus on the river's edge. There are no label though - what kind of plant is that?

2. Anyone know a realtor that lives in either Orono/Old Town that would be willing to answer some emailed questions? Perferably a mom with kids...

3. What are the general ideas about the area schools? On paper Orono looks like a great school (test wise, etc). Old Town schools look newer from the pictures on the website. Are their other towns that are within 10 miles of UMaine that I'm missing (other than Bangor - I want to live in a small community).

4. Does any one know what towns or areas the faculty and staff at UMaine generally tend to live?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,181,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchamac View Post
Thanks in advance to any answers to these questions!

1. Looking on Google Earth I saw a large industrial plant of some sort east of the UMaine campus on the river's edge. There are no label though - what kind of plant is that?

2. Anyone know a realtor that lives in either Orono/Old Town that would be willing to answer some emailed questions? Perferably a mom with kids...

3. What are the general ideas about the area schools? On paper Orono looks like a great school (test wise, etc). Old Town schools look newer from the pictures on the website. Are their other towns that are within 10 miles of UMaine that I'm missing (other than Bangor - I want to live in a small community).

4. Does any one know what towns or areas the faculty and staff at UMaine generally tend to live?

Thanks!
As far as the schools are concerned, the state of Maine is in the process of consolidating schools, and the residents of Orono, Glenburn, and Veazie just recently voted in favor of joining into the "Riverside School Unit." The combined towns have worked for more than a year to come together to form this regional school unit. The general consensus is that the "philosophy" of the schools are closely related, and the members of each respective town have worked well together given the often-times murky information that they have received from the state.

In terms of curriculum, the three schools seem to be as close to the same page with one another as possible (as near as I've heard). There is some controversy with Orono and Old Town in that many Orono/Old Town folks would like to see them combine to build a "state-of-the-art" high school; however, Orono residents voted in favor of joining with Glenburn and Veazie instead. Orono has great recreational sports programs and a track behind the school.

Towns that border Orono are Old Town, Glenburn, and Veazie (am I missing anyone else?) . Both Glenburn and Veazie are "bedroom" communities of Bangor. They tend to be close-knit communities, and have many great people living within. There's also Milford, Bradley, and Greenbush within an easy commute.

I'm not sure what the industrial plant you saw was - it could be the old paper mill...I can't speak with certainty about that. I do know there is a company currently trying to get another business off the ground there, but hasn't had much success due to the economy. I'm sure someone else would know more about that than I.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,403,975 times
I may get jumped on for this but,............. Orono High School has had an issue with kids and prescription drugs. I realize it may not be limited to Orono. It has become quite popular for kids to steal meds from medicine cabinets and such. Snorting riddalin, adderol or morphine is a passtime for some. I don't say this lightly, I know it. Thought it might be good for parents to be aware and keep an eye out for their kids. I was shown a websight where you can find out how to strip prescription drugs, including antidepressants for recreational use. erowid.org

Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 AM

263 posts, read 799,275 times
Sadly I do think this is a countrywide problem....

Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I may get jumped on for this but,............. Orono High School has had an issue with kids and prescription drugs. I realize it may not be limited to Orono. It has become quite popular for kids to steal meds from medicine cabinets and such. Snorting riddalin, adderol or morphine is a passtime for some. I don't say this lightly, I know it. Thought it might be good for parents to be aware and keep an eye out for their kids. I was shown a websight where you can find out how to strip prescription drugs, including antidepressants for recreational use. erowid.org
You may get jumped on for that, but in reality you shouldn't. I will say that every high school in the area has a bigger drug problem than we adults like to admit.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:31 PM

This should link you to Orono schools.

Greatschools.net Search: orono

Old 02-17-2009, 10:54 PM

37,506 posts, read 61,537,745 times
Two things surprised me about Orono.

While a vendor there in the Farmer's Market, was how many customers came to the FM via canoe or kayak. The campus being along the river, folks who live near the river could [and do] paddle their way to the FM for food. Which I think is really nice.[The Orono Farmer's Market is usually held in the University steam plant parking lot]

Secondly is the bike paths that connect Old Town and Orono. OT highschool kids work on the University campus. They use the interconnecting system of bike trails. Which I would have never thought of, except that our son attended OT highschool and many of his classmates had jobs on the university campus.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 AM

146 posts, read 454,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Two things surprised me about Orono.

Cool - sounds like a neat place.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 28,387 times
When you Google-Earthed, I think you were seeing Great Works Dam. I do not live in Old Town or Orono and should not be considered an authority, however I did travel to the area once in 1999 and noticed that this caused the town to smell less than wonderful. Maybe the industry surrounding the Dam is no more, but it would turn me off to moving there.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,154,850 times
I was very pleased with the Old Town High School -that's my only experience with the school system in Old Town. My son was in the special needs program, and they did a great job with him, even got him into regular English, History and Science classes. I'm not sure what that says about the regular classes, but I assume he was in the lowest ranking of those. I really liked the fact that they just didn't focus on what he couldn't do, but also what he could, and gave him the chance to do all that he could.

What I see as the big difference between Old Town and Orono is: Old Town is (was) the mill town and Orono is the college town.

I live on the north boarder of Old Town in Argyle, and we have 2 college professors who live up the road from us. There is also Alton, which is across the highway from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area