Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did Girardi want to win the AL East or not?
Yes 10 62.50%
No 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I have to disagree here Fred. I think he used the excuse of resting players for not winning the division. He didn't want to play Cliff Lee and Texas but instead Minnesota without Morneau.
I suppose that sort of thing might be called "strategy." But it certainly isn't the mindset of a true champion. Real champions don't go out of their way to avoid certain competition. (Can anyone imagine Babe Ruth not wanting to take the field against some other team because he was worried about their pitching?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I suppose that sort of thing might be called "strategy." But it certainly isn't the mindset of a true champion. Real champions don't go out of their way to avoid certain competition. (Can anyone imagine Babe Ruth not wanting to take the field against some other team because he was worried about their pitching?)
I agree that it was a strategy even though I personally don't like it. The plan should be to win them all. I also have a feeling that Girardi might leave after the year and Torre return to the Bronx.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,242,679 times
I think Joe Girardi wanted the Yanks to win the AL East, but thought it wasn't a big deal if they didn't once they clinched a playoff spot.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:04 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,380,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
In my own opinion even though home field advantage is big, I think Girardi wanted to be the wild card team more than winning the AL East. The main reason is that he can play a banged up Minnesota who is missing at least one big name guy. Any thoughts?
Beats me. I still don't know if he wanted to win the All-Star game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball