Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 02:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

That is entirely untrue. I was interested in whether or not stealing the base would have been the correct move. I merely presented the results of my findings.
I agree, that Chambers/Jaramillo is a borderline call, possibly slightly in your favor, but they are both part-time players with insufficient statistical data to evaluate either of them. In isolation, I would not have criticized LaRussa for it, had it not been for all the compounded felonies that preceded it, not to mention that he had a proven legitimate base stealer on the bench that could have been used instead of Chambers. The statistical prospects of which you choose to ignore, because you suspect that they might bear me out.

And you, by your silence, have given tacit endorsement to all the other LaRussa criticisms in my post, unless you now wish to re-introduce them, putting the goalposts back where I had put them originally.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-13-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Juan Francisco hit ball far

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Must C Crushed: Francisco and Phillips both go deep - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Old 09-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Cardinals win today 3-2.

LaRussa pulled starter Edwin Jackson in the sixth inning after his 100th pitch. with a runner on second, the reliever struck the pinch-hitter out.

Cardinal relievers pitched 2 1/3 perfect innings while striking out 5 of 7 opposing hitters.

Starters Lance Berkman, Allen Craig and Skip Shumaker watched the end of the game from the bench as their defensive replacements finished the game.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Anyone notice that the Detroit Tigers just won 12 games in a row?

Anyone disagree that Justin Verlander should win the Cy Young Award?

Who is this guy?......Valverde.....that just earned his 43rd save of the season?

Can ya tell that I'm having a good time lately?

Go Tigers!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Yeah, who would have thought the Tigers would be the first team to clinch their division. I know it surprised me (I think their magic # is 1)

Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Well the Phils are the first team to clinch a playoff spot, not a sign even remotely close to any celebration. Halladay another complete game shut out

Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
Jacoby Ellsbury and Adrian Gonzalez are presently tied for the league lead with 321 total bases.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Cardinals win today 3-2.

LaRussa pulled starter Edwin Jackson in the sixth inning after his 100th pitch. with a runner on second, the reliever struck the pinch-hitter out.

Cardinal relievers pitched 2 1/3 perfect innings while striking out 5 of 7 opposing hitters.

Starters Lance Berkman, Allen Craig and Skip Shumaker watched the end of the game from the bench as their defensive replacements finished the game.
You're right, and the Cardinals won. I never said LaRussa is 0-162. He still made all the same mistakes, but he got away with it, partly because he was playing Pittsburgh. His bullpen came through, and struck out 5 of the last 7 batters. Should we now say the bullpen is wonderful, and that proves they can be depended on later this week in Philadelphia, and he can safely predict that the bullpen will keep right on performing that well, and we now have proof that the hitters can be replaced with defense and his starting pitchers can be pulled early?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You're right, and the Cardinals won. I never said LaRussa is 0-162. He still made all the same mistakes, but he got away with it, partly because he was playing Pittsburgh. His bullpen came through, and struck out 5 of the last 7 batters. Should we now say the bullpen is wonderful, and that proves they can be depended on later this week in Philadelphia, and he can safely predict that the bullpen will keep right on performing that well, and we now have proof that the hitters can be replaced with defense and his starting pitchers can be pulled early?
All you've posted is after the fact evidence of LaRussa's 'mistakes'. If those failures are good enough evidence, then this success should be as well.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:25 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Anyone notice that the Detroit Tigers just won 12 games in a row?

Anyone disagree that Justin Verlander should win the Cy Young Award?

Who is this guy?......Valverde.....that just earned his 43rd save of the season?

Can ya tell that I'm having a good time lately?

Go Tigers!
Yes! No surprise here. I picked them to win the division back in the spring and stated in this thread that I expected a big year from Verlander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball