Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:16 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the 2011 Little League Baseball World Series!

The playoffs are taking place from August 18 to 28 and can be seen on ESPN/ABC.

Outstanding baseball by the future of baseball in the U.S. One day, some of these boys will be playing for your local Pro team.

Moms and pops, grand parents, brothers and sisters... An awesome American extravaganza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
And I hear an amazing crowd of over 40,000 for a little league game, amazing!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I'm about as interested in watching 12-year olds play baseball as I am in watching a movie produced by 12-year olds, and I hope there is never a channel dedicated to refrigerator art. How does that quality as "outstanding baseball"? Every MLB player was 3 years old once. Do you want to see 3-year olds playing baseball on the national networks, because some of them might be major leaguers some day?

There is real baseball, and there is "aww that's cute" baseball. There are things cuter than little league baseball. There is nothing wrong with kids playing baseball or mom and pop rooting for them, but it doesn't deserve 40 or 50 hours of network TV coverage when there are plenty of genuine quality artistic performances taking place in this country that don't even get on community access cable channels.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-22-2011 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 01:32 PM

378 posts, read 707,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm about as interested in watching 12-year olds play baseball as I am in watching a movie produced by 12-year olds, and I hope there is never a channel dedicated to refrigerator art. How does that quality as "outstanding baseball"? Every MLB player was 3 years old once. Do you want to see 3-year olds playing baseball on the national networks, because some of them might be major leaguers some day?

There is real baseball, and there is "aww that's cute" baseball. There are things cuter than little league baseball. There is nothing wrong with kids playing baseball or mom and pop rooting for them, but it doesn't deserve 40 or 50 hours of network TV coverage when there are plenty of genuine quality artistic performances taking place in this country that don't even get on community access cable channels.
I'm not big on the LLWS - I always feel bad for the kid who drops the ball - but this argument is pretty weak when you consider all the other garbage on TV. There are plenty of other things to cut first (reality shows, soap operas, etc.)

Old 08-22-2011, 03:18 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm about as interested in watching 12-year olds play baseball as I am in watching a movie produced by 12-year olds,
Mozart wrote his first symphony when he was 8 and had written 8 symphonies by the time he was 12.

You might be missing some good movies.

Quote:
and I hope there is never a channel dedicated to refrigerator art.How does that quality as "outstanding baseball"? Every MLB player was 3 years old once. Do you want to see 3-year olds playing baseball on the national networks, because some of them might be major leaguers some day?
Three year olds don't play in the Little League World Series.

Quote:
There is real baseball, and there is "aww that's cute" baseball.
I'd certainly say that little league baseball is 'real' baseball. There's a pitcher, batter, fielders, base runners...what's missing?

Quote:
There are things cuter than little league baseball. There is nothing wrong with kids playing baseball or mom and pop rooting for them, but it doesn't deserve 40 or 50 hours of network TV coverage
That's probably for the networks to decide, doncha think?

Quote:
when there are plenty of genuine quality artistic performances taking place in this country that don't even get on community access cable channels.
Maybe some of it by 12 year olds

Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Writer Stephen King helped coach his son Owen's Little League team to the Maine state championship in 1989. He wrote a story about the experience entitled "Head Down" (the only thing by King that I ever read). It was an enjoyable read.

The team was eliminated in the second round of the Eastern Regional Tournament. One of Owen's teammates was pitcher Matt Kinney who had an uneventful MLB career.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times
I predict Mexico vs. Huntington Beach, CA in the World Series/final game.

-Cheers.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 PM

213 posts, read 508,004 times
These kids play for the love of the game, not the money. You dont see them fighting when a ball comes close to hitting them. Maybe the major leaguers should take lessons from these kids.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrto View Post
These kids play for the love of the game, not the money. You dont see them fighting when a ball comes close to hitting them. Maybe the major leaguers should take lessons from these kids.
What? The lesson here is that these kids are too soft, molly coddled. Charging the mound shows that you aren't going to let these preteen thug pitchers disrespect you.

Why in my day... select one or more from among:
Bob Gibson,
Don Drysdale,
Early Wynn
Sal Maglie

...would have ...select one or more from among:
Knocked a guy on his ass
Served up some chin music
Thrown a purpose pitch
Stuck it in his ear

at....select one or more from among:
Anyone crowding the plate
Anyone doing any showboating
Anyone who had hit one of his guys
His own mother

just because...select one or more from among:
He was feeling mean
He didn't like the way the guy was looking at him
He truly hated his opponents
Mom was crowding the plate.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrto View Post
Major leaguers don't need to take lessons from these kids. 99% of all MLB players go their entire career without being involved in a single in-game scuffle. They get to the Majors because they have mastered personal self-discipline. You can count on the fingers of one hand all the current MLB players who have ever charged the mound. And I will guarantee you that more a few Little Leaguers are bullies at school.

With MLB baseballs flying around at 100+ mph, it can be a dangerous, life-threatening environment if somebody is careless, and baseball brawls almost invariably occur as a byproduct of policing against carelessness. Any player who wants or tries to injure another player is quickly and quietly gotten rid of in the lower minors, if not sooner, and is never heard from again. no matter how talented he is at the game of baseball.

If anything, the reverse is true. There is no sport whose top-level practitioners are better role models for kids, than baseball. Little-leaguers would do very well to take lessons from MLB baseball players. In spite of a few outliers, in whom the media takes perverse delight glorifying their idiosyncrasies.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-27-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball