Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times

Advertisements

Isn't that like cheering for Exxon or Shell Oil? They aren't even real teams; they are corporate entities with gigantic payrolls (biggest in the MLB by far) specifically designed to raise as much revenue as possible. I don't understand how anyone can be a "fan" of a corporate entity like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 10:55 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
I'm not a fan of either team, but you gotta remember that these are ALL businesses. They aren't hometown institutions filled with local boys making good. They're big businesses with big money on the table. Only the bottom 4 (in terms of payroll) spend less than $50 million.

A friend of mine who is a Yankees fan also put it to me this way when I ragged him about the payrolls: "When have you ever met a poor team owner?" A lot of folks are making a huge amount of money off of these teams.

Here's an article on the biz of baseball: Baseball's Big Bucks - Forbes.com

Old 10-10-2007, 05:34 AM

325 posts, read 1,077,344 times
How can someone be a fan of the Red Sox you ask....?

1.) Big Papi

2.) Manny Ramierez

3.) Curt Schilling

Is that reason enough.....you cant help but love Curt. He is one of the best pitchers ever. I find myself always routing for his success. David Ortiz can we say clutch hitter? And Manny is just Manny. You either love him or hate him and I happen to one that loves him. Im always jumping up and down after watching him hit a clutch walk off HR or something. I love that guy!

As someone who has nothing but the Pirates to cheer for its in my best interest to find someone else to like as they are pathetic. I wish the Pirates would spend an iota of money and get a good player on the team, but it will never happen so as long as that is the case their will always be people jumping on the mega teams bandwagons.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:51 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
How can someone be a fan of the Red Sox you ask....?

1.) Big Papi

2.) Manny Ramierez

3.) Curt Schilling

Is that reason enough.....you cant help but love Curt. He is one of the best pitchers ever. I find myself always routing for his success. David Ortiz can we say clutch hitter? And Manny is just Manny. You either love him or hate him and I happen to one that loves him. Im always jumping up and down after watching him hit a clutch walk off HR or something. I love that guy!

As someone who has nothing but the Pirates to cheer for its in my best interest to find someone else to like as they are pathetic. I wish the Pirates would spend an iota of money and get a good player on the team, but it will never happen so as long as that is the case their will always be people jumping on the mega teams bandwagons.
As a Sox hater, I do have much respect for Curt. I've followed him since he was with the Phillies, and had a chance to talk to him when he sat next to me at the Park Lane on 59th Street. A very nice guy who is still a players player.

As for the OP. This has to be the most ridiculous question I have ever come across. All these teams are businesses, as are all colleges, as are all bands, as is everything else that's a not-for-profit. Do you honestly think that there is ever a meeting where someone from a MLB team asks "ok people, how are we going to lose more money this year than we did last year"?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:31 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
The Yankees are a $200,000,000+ team. The Rockies are 1/4 of that, they are still in it, and they still have a coach.

I can see if you're from the Bronx or Bastin, rooting for your team.

The experts are gonna pick the Red Socks to win it all because that's logical. They would also like to see the Red Socks in there because they would be the biggest draw. The networks would hate to see the Rockies and the Indians. That's what I think.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:20 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Quote:
All these teams are businesses
Sure, in the same way that both housecats and lions are felines. That's why I pointed out the massive payrolls relative to other teams. Would the Yankees or Sox have nearly as much success if salaries were capped at, say, $100 million? I very much doubt it. These aren't 'real' teams in the sense that they have to develop talent in a farm system. They have enough money to simply hire a bunch of outside mercenaries for huge dollars.

Now, that doesn't always work, but that's down to managerial incompetence.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,903 times
Ok...looking at 2006 team salaries, you have:

1. New York Yankees $ 189,639,045
2. Boston Red Sox $ 143,026,214
3. New York Mets $ 115,231,663
4. Los Angeles Angels $ 109,251,333
5. Chicago White Sox $ 108,671,833
6. Los Angeles Dodgers $ 108,454,524
7. Seattle Mariners $ 106,460,833
8. Chicago Cubs $ 99,670,332
9. Detroit Tigers $ 95,180,369
10. Baltimore Orioles $ 93,554,808

The Yankees payroll was about $45m more than Boston, yet you lump them together in this "corporate entity" category. If they are in the same category and they are $45m apart....then you have to include the Mets, Angels, White Sox, Dodgers, Mariners and Cubs...b/c they are within $45m of Boston. So, if you agree that all of these teams are "Corporate entities" that don't deserve fans....then I see your point.

Otherwise, you just posted a flame without any supporting evidence. I love poking holes in "flame logic".

Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,876 times
Yankees have a bunch of homegrown players; Jeter, Chamberlain, Posada, Duncan ...

So they go sign the biggest free agent, while many teams just care about the bottom line and have the "I'm poor" facade. George is obsessed with winning. If he owned a Yankee haters' perennial losing team instead, would they despise him then?

Nice if every owner's every breath was obsessed with winning. Philly's owner, Giles, actually whined about Philly being "small market" a few years ago to defend his cheapness, and his case for Philly taxpayers to fund his new ballpark. Philly's small market! He actually said this to the media!

Can bet that these young, talented Phillies favorites right now will be with other teams (most likely the Yankees) before we know it. Watch how the Phillies brass will mess with Utley, Howard & Rollins if they stay healthy and productive... The Yankees will probably be the first to take them with open arms and checkbooks. Just watch. Cole Hamels has always been injury-prone, so look for the longest and most lucrative contract for him.

I say more power to the Empire -- although I do admit I despised him in the '80s when he was signing/bringing back all the druggies and giving them too many chances. I called it The Half-Way House that Ruth Built.

Last edited by Travel'r; 10-10-2007 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 AM

160 posts, read 775,125 times
How can someone cheer for the Red Sox?

I guess you have to be a true New Englander!!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 11:39 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times
I live out west and I see Red Sox fans everywhere. That's my main beef with them, way too many bandwagon jumpers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball