Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times

Advertisements

The MLB network just a bit ago has announced that Stan Musial has passed away at the age of 92.

When I think of Mr. Musial, I think of two sentences that jump out at me from respected baseball people. One was from Ford Frick and this statement is on Musial's statue at the Cardinal ballpark; "Here stands baseball's perfect warrior, here stands baseball's perfect knight."

Another is the statement from Bob Costas regarding Stan Musial on a one hour bio that ESPN Emmy award winning "Sports century" had done on Musial in 2000. "All Musial represents is more than two decades of sustained excellence and complete decency as a human being." This quote if I remember right was from an article in Sport magazine in a 1963 story written by Tom Murray.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-19-2013 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Musial's personal conduct and character represent the MLB standard against which all who have followed are measured. He set the bar quite high and did so without ever seeming phony, insincere or self serving. He is part of a small but distinct group who you really think of as the ambassadors of the game.

Great player, splendid behavior, you leave us with no complaints, Stan.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,749 times
The St.Louis Cardinals have had alot of success in postseason in recent years and beyond, and in the stands many of the times was Stan the Man, a great ambassador of the Franchise, and to MLB. One of the All time greats. RIP.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:41 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Two words: The Man.

One number: 1948....

Stan Musial | SABR

Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A great ballplayer and a great human being.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

One number: 1948....

Stan Musial | SABR
I just got through reading this. Excellent article. Thanks Yeledaf!

I have James Biglio's biography on Musial, a very good book. I don't have the one by George Vecsey though. It was released a few months ago. I think I just talked myself into a trip to the book store to buy it!

Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Nowadays there aren't too many baseball legends still alive outside of Hank Aaron. All of the Babe Ruths have long since passed. So every time you hear something like this announced it is shocking. While Musial was not part of my Yankees, you can't deny how great an individual on and off the field that he was. We just lost another great one. He will be missed.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Nowadays there aren't too many baseball legends still alive outside of Hank Aaron. All of the Babe Ruths have long since passed. So every time you hear something like this announced it is shocking. While Musial was not part of my Yankees, you can't deny how great an individual on and off the field that he was. We just lost another great one. He will be missed.
Willie Mays is very much alive.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:01 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Sad. He was a great guy. Truly, 'the man.'

Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Willie Mays is very much alive.
Speaking of Willie Mays, with all the articles I've read online this morning, Willie was quoted as saying that Stan gave him more insight in regards to hitting and more words of encouragement regarding things on the field and off the field than any other player he knew, teammate or otherwise. Willie also said, "I've never heard anyone have a bad thing to say about Stan-never." Those conversations were when both Mays and Musial played in MLB all-star games-24 of them to be exact.

A story I remember Buzzy Bavasi telling on an interview about Jackie Robinson's rookie season. Several Cardinal players signed a letter and sent it to National League president Ford Frick informing him that those players would not get on the field if Robinson was scheduled to start. Frick said that was ok. And Frick also stated "that beings that you players won't play those games, you can also count on lifetime suspensions. That will be in effect as long as I'm president of the league and I just signed a seven year contract."

The players quickly changed their mind. Musial on the other hand befriended Robinson the same way he befriended Willie Mays. Late in Robinson's life Jackie said Stan was in the same class as Hank Greenberg regarding standing up for a fellow player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball