Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:11 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times

Advertisements

Assuming a roster of 28 (2015) although possibly 30 (2014) and the following are locks:
C: Lucroy, Posey
1b: Goldy, Rizzo
2b: Murphy, Zobrist
ss: Crawford, Seager
3b: Bryant, Arenado
OF: Fowler, Ozuna, Harper, Polanco
SP: Kershaw, Thor, JFernandez
RP: Jansen, Rondon,

...there would still be five teams w/o players named: Atlanta, Philly, StLouis, Cincy and San Diego that would have to contribute to fill the final 10-12 roster spaces.

I suppose the easy call here is Diaz, which would knock Villar out of consideration (NL SB leader), although The Final Boss would be a contender. For Philly, I'd probably add Herrera to the OF over Jeanmar in the pen, although I might take Neris (holds leader). For Atlanta, I guess I'd go with Vizcaino, who's 3rd among relievers in WPA. For San Diego, I guess it's Rodney, who still has an ERA of zero. For Cincy... I don't think there's any choice but Cozart, which would knock out Diaz.

So from this group, let's say six guys: Oh, Herrera, Neris, Vizcaino, Rodney, Cozart.

That gives the NL six relievers, three SS and five OF. I can't see Collins giving a nod to Familia (or Reed) over any of these guys.

Which means Collins still needs to add a starter from Cueto, Strasburg, Bumgarner and Arrieta; one more OF (I'd take Marte over Yelich, but only slightly); another 3b (I'd take Kang, although it'll be controversial call); a 1b (Belt, probably); a 2b (Walker in the home team nod); and a catcher (Molina for old time's sake, or Ramos).

Of course the Cubs ballot stuffing could screw all this up.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 07:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

Which means Collins still needs to add a starter from Cueto, Strasburg, Bumgarner and Arrieta; one more OF (I'd take Marte over Yelich, but only slightly).

Thoughts?
I'm thinking that Collins will be a pretty unpopular fellow in New York if he ignores Cespedes. So that is your one more outfielder. And if he needs to add a starter, again, the pressure will be on him to name Noah Syndegaard.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm thinking that Collins will be a pretty unpopular fellow in New York if he ignores Cespedes. So that is your one more outfielder. And if he needs to add a starter, again, the pressure will be on him to name Noah Syndegaard.
I already had Thor as a lock for SP. You're probably right about Cespedes, so maybe he just takes Neris (or less likely, Gomar) from the Phils.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 AM

52,690 posts, read 47,955,803 times
I agree with most of your picks, GS, but you'd have to, at some point, consider Springer for one of the outfield spots. His hitting has been better since being moved to the leadoff spot recently.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:00 PM

Secondbase for the American League is also getting crowded with three well qualified candidates...Altuve, Cano and also Ian Kinsler.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:39 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Default Kansas City Royals ballot stuffing

Personally, I won't vote for any Kansas City Royal for the all-star team.

Royals fans still stuffing All-Star ballot boxes as K.C. dominates first voting results | FOX Sports

Escobar at SS is a joke.

Cleveland Indians shortstop Francisco Lindor wants a World Series, not All-Star votes | cleveland.com

Why does MLB allow persons to vote 35 times???

https://securea.mlb.com/mlb/events/a...RD-ballot-2016

Old 06-06-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Personally, I won't vote for any Kansas City Royal for the all-star team.

Royals fans still stuffing All-Star ballot boxes as K.C. dominates first voting results | FOX Sports

Escobar at SS is a joke.
Perez and Hosner do deserve to go, Cain and Escobar do not.

Quote:
Why does MLB allow persons to vote 35 times???
That is 35 times on line. Each time you go to the ballpark during the election period, you may be handed, or you may request, a ballot. Or a handful of ballots. And later in the game you can find someone else with ballots and ask for more. I've seen people at ballparks with thick wads of ballots, devoting a good chunk of the game to filling them all out.

Someone who was really obsessive and aggressive, could probably vote a thousand times.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 PM

9,759 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Wilson Ramos deserves a spot on the All Star team this year. It's too bad Posey is going to get the start and probably LuCroy will be the Brewers rep as the backup, but Ramos may get onto the final ballot.

For the non-contenders (note I'm including Colorado, Philly & Miami on this list but not including St. Louis even though all 3 teams are further back in division, just because I think the Cards are the 1 team that can actually still get a wildcard. And yes, the Cards have absolutely no chance at winning the division, 0% chance.)

Atlanta: Teheran deserves a spot (he's been really good), but there maybe too many starters already, so Vizcaino is the next best choice.
Cincinnati: Uhh....Zach Cozart?? Adam Duvall (at least the way he played against the Nats this weekend), Jay Bruce??
Milwaukee: Braun's having a bad year, so it's between LuCroy & Villar. If Diaz for the Cards gets a spot, and Cozart gets the Reds bid that leaves out Villar, so it's LuCroy by default. if all things being equal, I'd take Villar over LuCroy.
Colorado: Arenado for sure.
Arizona: Goldschmidt for sure
San Diego: Probably Rodney
Philadelphia: I would take Herrerra over Gomez all things being equal, but we know in this process that is almost never the case. SSKink, Neris may have the most holds in the league but he also has 3 or 4 losses. Granted, the win/loss is pretty meaningless, but I'd have Gomez in the pecking order ahead of Neris in that regard anyways. Middle relief pitchers (like Neris) are all but pointless for the All Star game anyways. Dating back to 2002 I think I only remember once strictly a middle reliever being selected for the All Star game, and that was the year Dellin Betances got selected (2014??)
Miami: Fernandez for sure, possibly Yelich and possibly Phelps. Aside from WHIP (0.88 for Neris, 1.07 for Phelps), Neris & Phelps have almost identical stats across the board. I think if you take 1 you have to take the other, especially when you almost never take set up pitchers.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Milwaukee: Braun's having a bad year, so it's between LuCroy & Villar.
Braun is batting .337/.406/.552 and has the highest OPS of any NL outfielder.

How is that a bad year?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:30 PM

9,759 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Braun is batting .337/.406/.552 and has the highest OPS of any NL outfielder.

How is that a bad year?

I didn't think it was that good. Maybe Braun is the Brewers rep after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball