Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 12:49 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times

Advertisements

Where is Braves legend Dale Murphy now?

I remember the 1991/1992 Phillies teams he was on.. He had this knack of being going to teams right before his original team caught fire.. In 1990, he was traded to the Phillies and of course in 1991 the Braves started their run. In 1993 he signed with the Rockies, and of course Philly went on to the World Series that year.

Kruk's famous line about the 1991/1992 Phillies team.. They were 24 morons and a Mormon.

Should Murphy be a HoFer? I think he's just on the outside based on his career stats. He's not particularly borderline.. Probably just below the imaginary line of "Borderline" and "No".. But I certainly wouldn't be offended if he got in. If character is going to be considered to keep people out, then perhaps character should in a small way count TOWARDS some people getting in.. And character might be what would put Murphy over the top.

Of course, Veterans committee is the only way he gets in now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:09 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
I doubt that Murray would be part of any Hall discussion had he not won the two MVP awards and he only should have won it in '83. In '82 the top WAR finishers:
Gary Carter 8.6
Andre Dawson 7.9
Mike Schmidt 7.4
Pedro Guerrero 6.8
Lonnie Smith 6.2
Dale Murphy 6.1

Murphy's career slashline, .265/.346/.469 might be impressive if he had been a middle infielder, but that is not a HoF slashline for an outfielder. His 398 home runs and 1266 RBI are also well below Hall standards for outfielders. His career WAR total of 46.5 is the 227th highest recorded, but others with around the same WAR score include Mike Cameron (46.7), Matt Williams (46.6), Mark Grace (46.4) and Willie Wilson (46.1.) Ever hear of of those folks being advanced as Hall of Famers?

Old 07-27-2018, 11:03 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Dale Murphy's problem is that his star burned out early. If he could have sustained the career arc he had established through 1985 it wouldn't even be up for discussion. But his offensive performance sharply declined in 1986, came back in 1987 - probably aided by the livelier ball - and pretty much disappeared from 1988 on.

If he'd been able to finish his career with the Braves he might have gotten some vet's committee consideration for being a part of their multiple pennant runs in the '90s and for spending his entire career with one team, but without those variables he's just another guy who had a few good years but not enough of them to justify induction.

Interesting point on the character issue, though. And I think his reputation was recognized in his HOF ballot history. Despite not having a Hall-worthy career by any stretch, he did manage to stay on the ballot all 15 years and never fell below double digits. Plenty of guys whose numbers at least justify some consideration have dropped off the first year from lack of support due to perceived character flaws.

A guy I went to college with mowed his yard in Atlanta. He said he was the nicest guy he'd ever met and that he or his wife would always bring him lemonade and visit for awhile when he was there.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:09 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Dale Murphy's problem is that his star burned out early. If he could have sustained the career arc he had established through 1985 it wouldn't even be up for discussion..
True. That is also true for numerous players..those who looked like Hall of Famers in the first parts of their careers, but then could not close the deal. Dave Parker, Brett Saberhagen, Fred Lynn, Will Clark, Dwight Gooden, Vida Blue....all would have been viewed as working on Hall careers before they turned 30. All of them managed to fizzle in assorted ways.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:21 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
I've been a huge Braves fan for almost 50 years. Murphy was a terrific ballplayer, and terrific man. He and Niekro were the main two reason I went to games during those bad years- so many bad years! Murphy always played , and always played hard. Not sure if he's a HOF player- went down real fast. If Bob Hoerner had 1/10 of Murphys heart- he'd be in the HOF. Thanks Dale for so many great homers, and plays in CF!.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:26 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Dale Murphy's problem is that his star burned out early. If he could have sustained the career arc he had established through 1985 it wouldn't even be up for discussion. But his offensive performance sharply declined in 1986, came back in 1987 - probably aided by the livelier ball - and pretty much disappeared from 1988 on.

If he'd been able to finish his career with the Braves he might have gotten some vet's committee consideration for being a part of their multiple pennant runs in the '90s and for spending his entire career with one team, but without those variables he's just another guy who had a few good years but not enough of them to justify induction.

Interesting point on the character issue, though. And I think his reputation was recognized in his HOF ballot history. Despite not having a Hall-worthy career by any stretch, he did manage to stay on the ballot all 15 years and never fell below double digits. Plenty of guys whose numbers at least justify some consideration have dropped off the first year from lack of support due to perceived character flaws.

A guy I went to college with mowed his yard in Atlanta. He said he was the nicest guy he'd ever met and that he or his wife would always bring him lemonade and visit for awhile when he was there.

Two fair points.. He was not the same player from 1988 to 1993 when he finally retired.. Of course.. So were the teams that he was on. But, then again.. His 88 and 89 years were pretty bad.. 90 and 91 he was serviceable. I mean, a .250 average with 20 HR's won't win you awards, but, keeps you in the lineup. 1992 he was just hurt most of the year, if I recall.

And, you are correct about him staying on the ballot. I mean, I agree he didn't have a HoF worthy career.. But he was a HoF worthy PERSON. There's sometimes just too few of those all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball