Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because I read a news piece that Carlos Zambrano will probably not start against the White Sox when the Cubs and Sox play at Wrigley Field, but that he almost certainly will start when they play at White Sox Park. And I find this absolutely puzzling because it's a huge a waste of hitting talent to start him in a game where they will use a DH but to not start him in a game where he would bat for himself.

Seeing how Zambrano has the highest batting average on the Cubs right now, I got to wondering if they have to use a DH or can he bat for himself? He's certainly hitting better than anyone they would otherwise have available to DH for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 05:03 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
if you were too put him at DH he would be able to hit. you always have to remember though that DH is optional it's not required, obviously if you were in the AL you would use a DH because who would you rather have hitting, Big Papi or Jon Lester?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Thanks for the clarification. BTW I hate the DH rule with the passion of a thousand pissed-off hornets, which is part of what drove me to be a Cubs fan rather than a White Sox fan.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:32 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thanks for the clarification. BTW I hate the DH rule with the passion of a thousand pissed-off hornets, which is part of what drove me to be a Cubs fan rather than a White Sox fan.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the NL is boring, because for every Carlos Zambrano, there's 20 pitchers who can't hit there way out of a wet paper bag, and that takes the bat out of the 8th place hitter, can you imagine a pitcher pitching around an 8th place hitter for someone weaker?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the NL is boring, because for every Carlos Zambrano, there's 20 pitchers who can't hit there way out of a wet paper bag, and that takes the bat out of the 8th place hitter, can you imagine a pitcher pitching around an 8th place hitter for someone weaker?

The DH is another symptom of our instant gratification society. Some people prefer a more pure form of baseball, with actual strategy. I think the people who prefer the DH are probably the same who probably actually like football and hockey more than baseball and probably would prefer cage-fighting over boxing. It seems people have ADHD anymore and need constant action rather than a real game with strategy. I say ban the DH, and if the DH fans don't like it, they can go and watch Arena football or UFC.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Wow. That makes almost no sense at all.

Look! Shiny!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I ask this question because I read a news piece that Carlos Zambrano will probably not start against the White Sox when the Cubs and Sox play at Wrigley Field, but that he almost certainly will start when they play at White Sox Park. And I find this absolutely puzzling because it's a huge a waste of hitting talent to start him in a game where they will use a DH but to not start him in a game where he would bat for himself.

Seeing how Zambrano has the highest batting average on the Cubs right now, I got to wondering if they have to use a DH or can he bat for himself? He's certainly hitting better than anyone they would otherwise have available to DH for him.

I would use him as a DH in AL parks. He won't have to play a position so he will still be available for his next start. Who else would you use as a DH?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Wow. That makes almost no sense at all.

Look! Shiny!
It makes perfect sense. We live in an instant-gratification society...which is why faster-paced sports like football seem to have more of a following than baseball anymore. People seem to need to watch constant action and/or physical contact in sports these days or they think its boring. They can't appreciate the strategy of the NL....they just want to see more home runs, which is why they prefer the DH. Probably the same people who watch hockey for the fights and racing for the crashes.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I would use him as a DH in AL parks. He won't have to play a position so he will still be available for his next start. Who else would you use as a DH?
that's a good strategy considering he's hitting .362 and has a 123 OPS+, he would be even better if he developed an eye at the plate because his OBP is also .362.

also, in 2006 he hit 6 HR in 73 AB, if you project that over 500 AB, that's 41 homeruns!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
The DH has been around since '73. Suddenly, we're an instant gratification society? And as a matter of fact, the DH is optional. Nothing at all mandates it's use.

You're argument is the complete opposite of Hank Steinbrenner's call for the NL to adopt the DH, but it's based on pretty much the exact same "reasoning"-- it's not the way we do it here. And that really carries no weight at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball