Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 12:15 PM

26,326 posts, read 49,296,575 times

Advertisements

June 4th marks the 50th Anniversary of Cleveland's infamous "10-cent Been Night" where the fans went wild, stormed the field and Cleveland had to forfeit the game. I don't recall this at all, probably because I'd only been married three months at that time and had "better things to do" with my time.

Story in the NY Times.

Excerpt of a fairly long article:

Quote:
There were streakers, kissers and wannabe prize fighters. There were arrests, threats and flying chairs. There were bruises, there was blood and there was beer. So, so much beer.

There was plenty of blame to pass around: the fans, the umpires, the team officials, the managers, local broadcasters and radio hosts. Oh, and according to one Cleveland resident, the real instigator causing that evening’s mayhem? The moon. And that’s not a reference to the fans who yanked down their pants and showed Rangers players their backsides.

Fifty years ago, chaos descended upon Municipal Stadium on 10-Cent Beer Night. Now, the infamous events of June 4, 1974, when an alcohol-fueled crowd spilled onto the field, confronted players and forced a forfeit, are often viewed in a light-hearted manner, the stuff of commemorative T-shirts and parodied ballpark promotions.

But at the time? Cleveland’s sports chroniclers considered it a black eye for Cleveland on a night that resulted in many of them.

Texas manager Billy Martin: “The fans showed the worst sportsmanship in the history of baseball.”

Cleveland manager Ken Aspromonte: “I’ve never seen anything like that in all my life and I have played baseball all over the world.”

Umpire Nestor Chylak: “They were uncontrolled beasts. I’ve never seen anything like it except in a zoo.”

I do remember Nester Chylak who is considered one of the all-time great umps.

Excerpt of a wonderful article, which appeals to me as an Orioles fan:

Quote:
Chylak had the baseball rulebook memorized by paragraph and by section, ensuring that he knew the rules cold. His preparation meant he never lost an argument, even to well-informed managers like Earl Weaver. Chylak was proud of the fact that he never threw Weaver out of a game. In his 25 years as a major-league umpire, Chylak ejected only 24 players, managers, and coaches, and ejection rate among the lowest in major-league history.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2024, 10:37 AM

4,121 posts, read 2,456,001 times
Aren't these guys making enough money?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tting-baseball

Major League Baseball has permanently banned Tucupita Marcano after determining that the infielder placed hundreds of bets on baseball, including wagers on games involving the Pittsburgh Pirates when he was with the team last season.

MLB announced Marcano's lifetime ban Tuesday, saying that an investigation showed he violated Rule 21(d)(2) of the league's betting rules and policies.

Marcano appears to be the first active major leaguer banned under the sport's gambling provision since New York Giants outfielder Jimmy O'Connell in 1924. Pete Rose, baseball's active career hits leader, famously agreed to a lifetime ban in 1989 after an investigation concluded he bet on Cincinnati Reds games while managing the team.

Old 06-04-2024, 01:17 PM

17,745 posts, read 15,527,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Aren't these guys making enough money?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tting-baseball

Major League Baseball has permanently banned Tucupita Marcano after determining that the infielder placed hundreds of bets on baseball, including wagers on games involving the Pittsburgh Pirates when he was with the team last season.

MLB announced Marcano's lifetime ban Tuesday, saying that an investigation showed he violated Rule 21(d)(2) of the league's betting rules and policies.

Marcano appears to be the first active major leaguer banned under the sport's gambling provision since New York Giants outfielder Jimmy O'Connell in 1924. Pete Rose, baseball's active career hits leader, famously agreed to a lifetime ban in 1989 after an investigation concluded he bet on Cincinnati Reds games while managing the team.

Most of them were in the minors.. so.. The answer is probably "no" they weren't making a whole lot.

But, it's inexcusable no matter what. The guy in Oakland.. 10 bets for $99.22. But.. Rules are rules, parts are parts and dogs love cheese.

This rule is in every clubhouse. I got no sympathy.

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

389 posts, read 178,357 times
I looked at the standings and was surprised to find out that only 10 of the 30 teams in MLB have records above .500

Old Today, 04:21 PM

4,358 posts, read 3,576,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
I looked at the standings and was surprised to find out that only 10 of the 30 teams in MLB have records above .500 .
Just wait until we get to the second half............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball