Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 01:32 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times

Advertisements

Granted last year Kemp probably should have won it but the writers ruled that having a team in the playoff hunt that a players performance is more important than a player that is not (IE no pressure and playing with pressure). So far this year I don't know you can say Braun is not the NL MVP this year? just look at his number compared to last year. 24 games to play as of Sunday morning 9.8.12 Would you vote for him?

Ryan Braun Stats, News, Pictures, Bio, Videos - Milwaukee Brewers - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 02:24 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
I'm not the only one who thinks he can and probably should win it again

Ryan Braun is putting up MVP numbers, creating a dilemma for voters - MLB - ESPN

Why Ryan Braun Should Win the NL Most Valuable Player Award | Bleacher Report

Ryan Braun ignores chants and returns to star form

Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,298,248 times
Right now, I see 4 main contenders.

I'd rank them:
Andrew McCutchen
Ryan Braun
Michael Bourn
David Wright

The difference between McCutchen's offense and Braun's isn't as big as people might think.
Braun: .388/.603 (OBP/SLG)
McCutchen: .408/.561

McCutchen makes outs substantially less frequently than Braun. Not making outs is the single most important thing that one can do with the bat.

We can measure offense reliably and Braun has been worth about 6 more runs than McCutchen.

Offense isn't the only part of the game though. Defense should certainly be factored in.

McCutchen plays the more difficult defensive position, centerfield. He's not an outstanding defensive center fielder, but neither is Braun a good defensive outfielder.

This is why I have McCutchen slightly over Braun at this point.

Similarly, I have Michael Bourn 3rd. Bourn plays a demanding defensive position and plays it spectacularly. He's one of the best defensive players in the game. His offense certainly isn't at the same level as Braun's or McCutchen's, he's produced about 30 less runs this year, but he saves about 15 more runs defensively than McCutchen in CF and 20 more runs than Braun. Bourn is 3rd, but a distant 3rd.

David Wright is also having a great year with the bat. He's produced about 30 runs - a bit off of the leaders while playing improved defense at 3rd base. He's close to Bourn but no match for Braun and your September 8th MVP Andrew McCutchen.

Mike trout is the AL Rookie of the year, MVP, CF Gold glove winner, CF Silver Slugger and guy you'd want to knock up your daughter and wife.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
In that the Brewers will not be in the post season, I'm confident that the voters will rely on that as a reason not to vote for Braun, masking the real reason they aren't voting for him which will be to punish him for winning the award the previous year while using PEDs. I would be very surprised to see Braun win again.

Andrew McCutchen has more going on for him. He not only leads in WAR, but he also has the flashiest slash line, the one which will be most impressive to voters who refuse to take WAR into consideration. Further, even if the Pirates don't reach the post season, their long history of futility will make this year's competitive effort equal to making the post season in terms of producing MVP candidates.

Bourn's WAR will probably be overlooked because his slash line does not wow people, and on the surface it does not appear that he has been any more valuable than has been his teammate Jason Heyward.

David Wright will be hurt by the Mets non contending status.

I would not be surprised to see either or both of Yadier Molina/Buster Posey draw more votes than Bourn or Wright, perhaps outpolling Braun as well.

None of the above should be taken as argument about the actual merits, I am merely handicapping the race.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:11 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
I think if anyone from a non-playoff team gets the NL MVP it will be McCutcheon. Voters very rarely give the MVP to someone from a non-playoff team. Yet, I think the case for McCutcheon is very strong. The Pirates have been in contention all year, which in itself is a feat for that organization. He has had a tremendous year and is worthy based on his numbers.

Braun, with the steroid thing hanging over his head, and the fact the Brewers have not been nearly as much of a contender (2 under 500 right now), really hurts him.

I could see some votes going to maybe Holliday or Posey too, since the Cards and Giants looking to likely be playoff bound.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,978 times
Quote:
to punish him for winning the award the previous year while using PEDs.
I think you can leave out the "PE" part of it. If you make the assumption that he used "PE"Ds in 2011 and that he wouldn't use them again in fear of getting caught in 2012 (which is a reasonable assumption)... how much "performance enhancement" did it really provide? His clean 2012 season looks pretty darn close to his allegedly "enhanced" 2011 season.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I think you can leave out the "PE" part of it. If you make the assumption that he used "PE"Ds in 2011 and that he wouldn't use them again in fear of getting caught in 2012 (which is a reasonable assumption)... how much "performance enhancement" did it really provide? His clean 2012 season looks pretty darn close to his allegedly "enhanced" 2011 season.
I think that the lesson of PEDs has been .."Make no assumptions." Before Braun was caught last season, did you suspect him of being a user? Did you suspect Melky Cabrera?

You are assuming Braun is now playing clean. Okay, that, or he has gotten better at fooling the testers.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Back to back MVPs is no rarity, it has been done by a dozen players before. What I think is a great oddity, though, is that it's been done by at least one player from every position:

C---Berra
1B--Foxx, Thomas, Pujols
2B--Morgan
SS--Banks
3B--Schmidt
RF--Maris
CF--Mantle, Murphy
LF--Bonds
P---Newhouser

Thomas, Punols and Bonds were the last three, so the first nine players to do it played each of the nine field positions (counting Murphy as LF, which he played quite a bit in his MVP years).

Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I think that the lesson of PEDs has been .."Make no assumptions." Before Braun was caught last season, did you suspect him of being a user? Did you suspect Melky Cabrera?

You are assuming Braun is now playing clean. Okay, that, or he has gotten better at fooling the testers.
Make no assumptions... You are assuming he was "dirty" in 2011. The test was tainted. It wasn't taken to the lab in a timely manner or stored properly. That can have effects on sample. Testing is all about being repeatable which requires following a process. They didn't do that. Just because he was found guilty in the court of public opinion, doesn't make him guilty.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Make no assumptions... You are assuming he was "dirty" in 2011. The test was tainted. It wasn't taken to the lab in a timely manner or stored properly. That can have effects on sample. Testing is all about being repeatable which requires following a process. They didn't do that. Just because he was found guilty in the court of public opinion, doesn't make him guilty.
I do not believe that Braun's sample was tampered with by the tester, do you?

And if just sitting around ruins the sample, then the result would be "no result", not "Braun positive." Urine sitting around in storage does not somehow or other deteriorate into urine plus PEDs.

Braun was caught, he escaped the consequences but eluding punishment is hardly some indication of non guilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball