Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:18 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times

Advertisements

Mark McGwire comes clean, admits steroids use - ESPN

NEW YORK -- Mark McGwire finally came clean Monday, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.

McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

"I wish I had never touched steroids," McGwire said in a statement. "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

McGwire also used human growth hormone, a person close to McGwire said, speaking on condition of anonymity because McGwire didn't include that detail in his statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:38 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
In other news, the sun sets in the west.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:48 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Yeah exactly, like I needed to it from him after he cried and pleaded the 5th in front of congress.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:53 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
LMAO.. you guys are awesome! Did this dude really believe the rest of the world didnt know???

That put him 1 level ahead of Bonds though.....

Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
McGwire, Bonds and Sosa should all have their homerun records erased from the history books. As far as I'm concerned, Roger Maris is still the season HR king, and Aaron is still the all-time HR king.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
McGwire, Bonds and Sosa should all have their homerun records erased from the history books. As far as I'm concerned, Roger Maris is still the season HR king, and Aaron is still the all-time HR king.

Well, I can see the logic, but I dont agree because MLB allowed and even encouraged this behavior. After the strike season MLB attendence was bad. They needed something to get people back into the ball parks and this was it. They cultivated this culture and the players shouldnt be the only ones punished. Hell there were GM's that kept lists of guys who they knew were juiced. When they would trade for players they would use the list for reference. Gange was one of the guys the Red Sox inquired about being a "juice guy" before they traded for him.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Well, I can see the logic, but I dont agree because MLB allowed and even encouraged this behavior. After the strike season MLB attendence was bad. They needed something to get people back into the ball parks and this was it. They cultivated this culture and the players shouldnt be the only ones punished. Hell there were GM's that kept lists of guys who they knew were juiced. When they would trade for players they would use the list for reference. Gange was one of the guys the Red Sox inquired about being a "juice guy" before they traded for him.
I'm glad he finally came forward and I do agree that the year with him and Sosa probably saved baseball. The league could have done something but chose not to push.In the same respect I believe he should be in the hall and Bonds too.Both clearly were going to get in before they started to bulk up.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
Roger Maris still holds the record for most HRs in a single season.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM

412 posts, read 154,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
This is what I intended to say, but you beat me to it, Cool.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:20 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'm glad he finally came forward and I do agree that the year with him and Sosa probably saved baseball. The league could have done something but chose not to push.In the same respect I believe he should be in the hall and Bonds too.Both clearly were going to get in before they started to bulk up.

Finally coming forward now just makes him look like a bigger loser. He lied. He's not the only one, but he flat out lied. I agree with coolhand, remove their stats from the books. They did not honor the game, why should the game honor them. Baseball would have survived without the tainted '98 season. The '98 season was nothing more than a fake home-run derby. They saved nothing. The only thing that was killing the game was greed, and the steriod era was a by-product of the greed. All they (and MLB) did was falsely re-write the record books that stood the test of time for a reason. Hitting 50 was something special. No one reached 60 for a reason. It was truley special. Sammy, Bonds, McGwire, Canseco, Giambi, Clemens, on and on. Baseball knew it, heck, everyone knew it. Does that make it right? Hell no. 'Roids were and probably still are in every major sport. Although baseball is a team sport, it's numbers and records are the most individual than any other sport. If someone breaks a record that stood for 37 years by using something illegal to aid him in breaking the record, that new record should be void. McGwire said it himself (through his tears, boo-friggen-hoo, I feel so bad for him). Hall of fame? Please. Once again, no honor. They pissed on Roger Maris and Hammering Hank. Why put someone on a pedestal that is a cheater. Admitted or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball