Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times

Advertisements

Kind of off topic...

I feel sorry for Ken Griffey Jr. in this whole thing. He has almost been forgotten. He has never been implicated in any of this steroid stuff yet if you look at his numbers, he is one of the greatest of all time.

630 HR, 1829 RBI, 522 doubles, .541 slugging, 10 gold gloves, 1 MVP... those are all time great kind of figures.

His career followed the trend that baseball players (and professional athletes in general) has followed forever. You peak in your late 20s to early 30s, start a slow decline, get some injuries... You DON'T all of a sudden get BETTER at 40.

Anyway...glad McGwire finally admitted it. Frankly, we all knew and just looked the other way. It was comical the rate at which home runs were being hit not to mention the blown up proportions of the players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times
What is shocking is the fact that people even still watch baseball. How can anyone take this sport seriously with all the cheaters that come forth (even today's stars) on a regular basis?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:38 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
BUD SELIG IS (drum roll please):

1.naive
2.an absolute puppet to the MLB owners
3.spineless (see#2)
4.not even qualified to wash my car

Every time I think of Bud Selig, I think of the 2002 All star game in his hometown of Milwaukee when at the end of the game the people booed for several minutes and then threw trash on the field after the game. Now I know a lot of that frustration was on account of how the game ended, but that also gave me a pretty clear indication of his standing in the community.

He may be all those things except Naive. He KNEW EXACTLY what was going on under his watch. BUT the most important thing was to get the fans back. The owners knew, the GM's defentley knew and MLB knew. So now the only guilty parties are the players??? You guys cant be serious.

As far as records go, if you take McGwires and Sosa and Bonds you have to take Clemens, Pettite, Palmiero, Manyy Rameriz, David Ortiz, Jason Giambi, Alex Rodriquez and everyone else who is connected. You cant just pick the HR record because its more high profile. Take away clemens strike outs and wins too? And ARODS HR's, same with raffy and Ortiz and Manny.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:05 AM

319 posts, read 634,527 times
For me personally, as far as the steroid thing goes, I'm just over it. It happened, it pisses me off that it happened, but it happened, I'm moving on. Sort of like when you hit a bad patch with a spouse or girlfriend or something and one of you cheated, you're hurt, you have trust issues, but time heals all wounds. In this scenario, baseball is my cheating girlfriend. I'm just focusing on the now and not on what happened then. I've accepted it happened, that it was a lot more widespread then we'll ever know and I'm letting that be that.

Anyway, that little rambling preface wasn't my point. My point was that, for whatever he did wrong, in my opinion Mark McGwire truly feels bad about what he did. From his obvious uncomfort in front of Congress to his tearing up last night in the interview with Costas, here's a guy who I felt was truly apologizing. Compare that interview on MLB Network last night to the Giambi and A-Rod "apologies", those guys could give a s***. Hell, McGwire even apologized to the Maris family. I'm not a Cards fan by an stretch, and I don't know if McGwire is a Hall of Fame talent, but I can respect him for honestly coming clean. Even if it was years after the fact. There's so many more people, everyday people, that have things that they hide for years, why aren't we roasting them in the court of public opinion?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
Roger Maris still holds the record for most HRs in a single season.
Well... can you prove that Maris or other players of his era never used "greenies" or amphetamines while playing?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Ok, next. And last, but not least Speedaddicted, NO, I do NOT support MLB. When you keep on referring to "you" in your posts, I'm assuming you are talking about me. I had a chance to go to to one of the World Series games in 2007, when the Red Sox beat the Rockies, but didn't. The last Rockies regular season game I went to was in 1992. After the 1994 MLB strike I was done with it.

I don't buy MLB programs, ball caps, t-shirts, or jerseys. Shutting down the season when cooler heads could have prevailed ruined baseball for me as far as being an avid fan. The steroid issue with the game just underlines the point. And you're right, the fans are the ones who are the ones that lose out. The commissioner won't stand up to the owners for obvious reasons. Do I want the game flushed down the toilet? Of course not. I loved watching baseball as a kid, I collected baseball cards at warp speed, I played ball in high school. I love the history to the game. But as long as baseball's problems remain the same (which doesn't look to change anytime soon), I just don't hold the attention to it.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-12-2010 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
What is shocking is the fact that people even still watch baseball. How can anyone take this sport seriously with all the cheaters that come forth (even today's stars) on a regular basis?
There are some of us that understand that performance enhancing drugs, actually don't "enhance performance" that much. How can we take it seriously? It is still played at an extremely high level with outstanding athletes doing incredible things on the diamond day in and day out, I ask you how can you brush it off so easily?

Quote:
I don't buy MLB programs, ball caps, tshirts, or jerseys. Shutting down the season when cooler heads could have prevailed ruined baseball for me as far as being an avid fan. The steroid issue with the game just underlines the point. And you're right, the fans are the ones who are the ones that lose out. The commissioner won't stand up to the owners for obvious reasons. Do I want the game flushed down the toilet? Of course not.
I often hear people say this kind of stuff, I sure hope you hold the NFL to the same standards as they clearly had a steriod issue (perhaps still do) but did a better job of hiding it, AND may even go into a lockout situation in the near future. The last line of your post is well said though, as though you may feel this way you do not try to hold everyone else to your standards, which imo is the right way to approach the situation. (you edited your post since then, but the spirit is the same)

Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Quote:
Ok, next. And last, but not least Speedaddicted, NO, I do NOT support MLB. When you keep on referring to "you" in your posts, I'm assuming you are talking about me. I had a chance to go to to one of the World Series games in 2007, when the Red Sox beat the Rockies, but didn't. The last Rockies regular season game I went to was in 1992. After the 1994 MLB strike I was done with it.

I don't buy MLB programs, ball caps, t-shirts, or jerseys. Shutting down the season when cooler heads could have prevailed ruined baseball for me as far as being an avid fan. The steroid issue with the game just underlines the point. And you're right, the fans are the ones who are the ones that lose out. The commissioner won't stand up to the owners for obvious reasons. Do I want the game flushed down the toilet? Of course not. I loved watching baseball as a kid, I collected baseball cards at warp speed, I played ball in high school. I love the history to the game. But as long as baseball's problems remain the same (which doesn't look to change anytime soon), I just don't hold the attention to it.
Not YOU specifically Double H, you as in the folks who are jumping all over the players or better yet not holding the league responsible.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:02 AM

319 posts, read 634,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

I often hear people say this kind of stuff, I sure hope you hold the NFL to the same standards as they clearly had a steriod issue (perhaps still do) but did a better job of hiding it, AND may even go into a lockout situation in the near future.
Shawne Merriman was suspended four games for steroid use in 2006 and still made the Pro Bowl that year. I still shake my head at that whole thing.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Didn't mean to be touchy on the "you" point, solid point on Orangeish, by the way. I DO hold the NFL to a higher standard. We'll touch on that on the fb forum, I don't believe we have done that, maybe not recently anyway.

One of my favorite players when I grew up was Sandy Koufax, and one of his best quotes was "When we played, all we cared about was the game." I am a little disappointed by a couple posts here, but a lot of fans do feel about the "let's move on" stance. That's ok, let's do that. But with the current situation staying the same, the steroid stuff will cast a dark cloud over the game. Too bad.

Every time I think of steroid abuse, the thought of Lyle Alzado enters my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball