Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 PM

412 posts, read 154,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'm glad he finally came forward and I do agree that the year with him and Sosa probably saved baseball. The league could have done something but chose not to push.In the same respect I believe he should be in the hall and Bonds too.Both clearly were going to get in before they started to bulk up.
Lots of other remarkable things happened that season. I recommend "Summer Of '98" by Mike Lupica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
Finally coming forward now just makes him look like a bigger loser. He lied. He's not the only one, but he flat out lied. I agree with coolhand, remove their stats from the books. They did not honor the game, why should the game honor them. Baseball would have survived without the tainted '98 season. The '98 season was nothing more than a fake home-run derby. They saved nothing. The only thing that was killing the game was greed, and the steriod era was a by-product of the greed. All they (and MLB) did was falsely re-write the record books that stood the test of time for a reason. Hitting 50 was something special. No one reached 60 for a reason. It was truley special. Sammy, Bonds, McGwire, Canseco, Giambi, Clemens, on and on. Baseball knew it, heck, everyone knew it. Does that make it right? Hell no. 'Roids were and probably still are in every major sport. Although baseball is a team sport, it's numbers and records are the most individual than any other sport. If someone breaks a record that stood for 37 years by using something illegal to aid him in breaking the record, that new record should be void. McGwire said it himself (through his tears, boo-friggen-hoo, I feel so bad for him). Hall of fame? Please. Once again, no honor. They pissed on Roger Maris and Hammering Hank. Why put someone on a pedestal that is a cheater. Admitted or otherwise.
Have you looked at some of the people in the hall? It's full of people who were doing coke,drinking,etc...(like Fergie Jenkins)and no one knows if any of these drugs help their performance but the individual.I can't stand what happened at that time but you have to realize that considering the strike years,baseball was no longer this countries leading pastime.That year REVIVED baseball, though it is now tainted. I will never glorify when a player uses an outside element but even you can't tell me if all previous players were clean PRIOR to the 80's and 90's.It was just more prevalent in these years.There used to be a benchmark for guys to make the hall. 3000 hits made you an automatic and 400 HR's too.If Bonds or McGwire never touched the stuff,their numbers would still be good enough for the hall.Look what Bonds did in his Pittsburgh years or McGwire from year 1 in Oakland.They were going in prior and should go now.I personally would do the same thing to them as Rose.Ban them all from ever managing,or coaching in baseball but let them in.Their numbers warrant it.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TextingTexan View Post
Lots of other remarkable things happened that season. I recommend "Summer Of '98" by Mike Lupica.
Texting Texan is right. Lupica's book is a great read!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Roger Maris still holds the record for most HRs in a single season.
Kind of off topic here, but if any of you get a chance, go to Roger Maris' website. Some years ago there was a movement by a group of fans petitioning MLB commish Bud Selig to strike McGwires and Bonds records out of the books. In fact, there is a group of people who are manufacturing bumper stickers, buttons, ball caps, t-shirts, and baseball jerseys that have "Give it BACK to Maris" printed on them. A significant portion of the proceeds go to the Roger Maris Cancer Center in Fargo, North Dakota.

I have signed the petition; did so a few years ago. And I bought a t-shirt, ballcap, and jersey. I wear them proudly.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Kind of off topic here, but if any of you get a chance, go to Roger Maris' website. Some years ago there was a movement by a group of fans petitioning MLB commish Bud Selig to strike McGwires and Bonds records out of the books. In fact, there is a group of people who are manufacturing bumper stickers, buttons, ball caps, t-shirts, and baseball jerseys that have "Give it BACK to Maris" printed on them. A significant portion of the proceeds go to the Roger Maris Cancer Center in Fargo, North Dakota.

I have signed the petition; did so a few years ago. And I bought a t-shirt, ballcap, and jersey. I wear them proudly.
But do you still support MLB? Beacuse if you do your supporting the catalyst for this problem. No one can tell me MLB didnt know what was going on. Now the playres are to blame? C'mon man they did exactly what the system wanted them to do. GET THE CROWDS back. I know David Ortiz and Manny and a few other sox players werent clean but I know they played in the era that was created by MLB to popularize the sprot again so no I cannot blame them for being a part of what the systems wants. If you support MLB but want to drag the players through the mud your just as bad as baseball because all your looking for is a scapegoat. His name is Bud Selig! BAN BUD!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 PM

Hmm, where do I start here? OK, here we go.

Are major league properties involved here? NO.

Again, a significant amount of the proceeds of these items go to the Roger Maris Cancer Center. The center is in Fargo, North Dakota, where Roger grew up. The center was set up shortly after he passed, in 1987.

Would major league properties get involved in this? You kidding? There is enough "mud", as you say, from the treatment, belittling, and flat out poor P.R. when Roger LEGITIMATELY broke that record. And that was done by MLB commissioner Ford "I'm Babe Ruth's Ghost Writer" Frick.

This petition, and the memorabilia sales, and basically the idea behind this goes to Mark Moser, who I met personally. He was a honcho at "950 The Fan", out of Denver. I met him once years ago at one of the Bronco Quarterback Club meetings, when I went when i still lived in Denver. From what I remember of the conversation I had with him he wasn't so much a Yankee fan as he was a fan of the game. And wanted to do something about an absolute injustice. So he started this idea. And I don't have to refer to the movie *61 to roll through the "mud" that Maris went through that year. I grew up in that era. I knew what kind of "mud" Maris had to endure on his own.

My thoughts on MLB, Bud Selig, and the current group of players? Have a post up in a few.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
I'm not in any way discrediting the Maris foundation or any of its work. I'm reffering to the outrage people throw at the players but they still support MLB. If you want the truth it starts at the top. People are blasting MgCwire and Bonds and all these guys, but when will Bug Selig get up there and admit the truth? He's the biggest lying coward of the group.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I'm not in any way discrediting the Maris foundation or any of its work. I'm reffering to the outrage people throw at the players but they still support MLB. If you want the truth it starts at the top. People are blasting MgCwire and Bonds and all these guys, but when will Bug Selig get up there and admit the truth? He's the biggest lying coward of the group.
BUD SELIG IS (drum roll please):

1.naive
2.an absolute puppet to the MLB owners
3.spineless (see#2)
4.not even qualified to wash my car

Every time I think of Bud Selig, I think of the 2002 All star game in his hometown of Milwaukee when at the end of the game the people booed for several minutes and then threw trash on the field after the game. Now I know a lot of that frustration was on account of how the game ended, but that also gave me a pretty clear indication of his standing in the community.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-11-2010 at 09:52 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 09:29 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
McGwire, Bonds and Sosa should all have their homerun records erased from the history books. As far as I'm concerned, Roger Maris is still the season HR king, and Aaron is still the all-time HR king.

I agree with you.

Erase all three of their records.

I believe all three of them owe baseball fans a ton of money.

People invested in them to have them defraud the fans with their steroid use.

It is not right that people like Maris, Mantle, Mays and Aaron who worked and played hard get wiped off by scums like McGwire, Bonds, Sosa etc.

There are some current players who should not be allowed to play either.

To me Albert Pujols hits the ball 450 ft without even swinging hard, something McGwire did all the time.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 PM

95 posts, read 207,615 times
I love how he says he regrets it. Dude made tens of millions of dollars more than a non-juicing McGwire would have made and sleeps with a 10/10 model while looking like an acne-faced ginger with mild downs syndrome.

All of this the spoils of cheating. Yet, he regrets it, from his villa in Santa Monica.

Please, Marky. I'm not mad atcha, but don't be a liar on top of being a cheater. Taking steroids was the single greatest decision you made in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball