Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:02 PM

484 posts, read 467,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Please elaborate for us, my ever so unbiased friend. In what way do Cardinals fans "refuse to let" the Cards/Cubs series be fun? This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard from a Cubs fan, and trust me, that's saying a lot.
Be glad to. My favorite thing about this rivalry is how the fans often get along and respect each other, unlike with Red Sox-Yankees and some other intense ones. But in my experience, Cardinals fans are a lot quicker with the insults, barbs and overall boorish behavior than we are toward them.
The "Completely Useless By September" signs often seen in Busch Stadium are a perfect example. I don't see Cubs fans dragging that sort of thing out in your ballpark or any other we visit.
I pulled for you guys to beat Boston in the World Series because I respect your franchise and, overall, the fan base for its knowledge and dedication. I would happily put St. Louis among the top baseball towns in the country, and the only thing I hate about your franchise is LaRussa.
Those sentiments almost universally do not go the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 07:21 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Teams I Root For
Bravos: Home team and a juggernaut in the 90s/early 00s. This team just fight against all odds even against superior squads. The model team throughout 91-05.
Red Sox: My pulling for them is my way of paying homage.
Cubs: I think curses are stupid and would like them to win a WS to shut people up.
Athletics: They had a little Bravos in them during those Zito/Mulder/Hudson years.
Dodgers: A little while ago they were known as West Coast Braves because they were very formidable with the players that we didn't want/need anymore.

Teams I Don't Care For

*Mets: I don't know about the fans who are in NYC but the ones down here were cocky fools who really had no reason to be cocky (they haven't won anything in my lifetime). I did appreciate taking the money from this chump fanbase though (the fans down here anyway) whenever they would "put the money up." Oh, and they were jealous of our Reign.
*Marlins: I'm going to be real, it bothers me that this expansion came into existence in 93 and they have won two WS. My team was one of the most dominant teams ever in throughout the 90 and won 14 straight starting in 91 and... The Marlins sucked major @ss in most of their exsistence, never won the East, but they have two Chips. Disgusting.
*Yankees: Forget their fans, this team WS c*ck blocked my team in 96 and 99. I still say that the Bravos were "America's Team" and the "Team of the Nineties" but winning the WS those two years would have been official. I also hate this team because a lot of my weekly allowance went up in smoke; one of those fools I lost to was a Mets fan in 94 and 95.
*Cincinnati Reds: My Father and everyone on his side loved the avarage Reds and killed me for liking the Braves (and I never wore the Reds gear they bought me and wearing a Braves hat at a game up there in 97).
Diamondbacks: I hate it when expansion teams win it all. It's not good for the game in my opinion. I realize that they were not newly formed at that time but they were the team with hardly any history in 2001 (01 was bittersweet, the Yankees got beat by an expansion team but it was a blow to the Braves).

Well, there it is.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:09 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post
But in my experience, Cardinals fans are a lot quicker with the insults, barbs and overall boorish behavior than we are toward them.
Ha, that's rich. It's completely shocking that a fan of one team feels that fans of the rival team are more prone to being rude than his own team's fans. I mean, really, this is groundbreaking stuff. I bet Yankees fans wouldn't say the same thing about Red Sox fans, after all…

Quote:
The "Completely Useless By September" signs often seen in Busch Stadium are a perfect example.
Playful signs and taunting are simply part of sports rivalries, so I'm not sure why it bothers you. I encourage you and your brethren to take part, as a matter of fact. If you can find a way to make fun of the Cardinals for winning on a consistent basis, go for it.

Quote:
I don't see Cubs fans dragging that sort of thing out in your ballpark or any other we visit.
Oh, boy. This made me chuckle a bit.

Seriously, if you don't see Cubs fans doing the same thing, I have to assume you're not paying attention. It would appear to require a special kind of naivety to believe that they never engage in similar behavior. Perhaps you just choose to selectively ignore it.

Quote:
I pulled for you guys to beat Boston in the World Series because I respect your franchise and, overall, the fan base for its knowledge and dedication. I would happily put St. Louis among the top baseball towns in the country, and the only thing I hate about your franchise is LaRussa.
Not many Cubs fans would pull for the Cardinals in that situation, so you were definitely in the minority.

And yes, I'm sure a lot of Cubs fans dislike LaRussa. Can't deny his success, however.

Quote:
Those sentiments almost universally do not go the other way.
Did you conduct a scientific poll? Did you ask your fellow Cubs fans if they feel the same way? I'm sure all of them love St. Louis the way you do.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 AM

925 posts, read 2,607,866 times
Like:

1. Braves
2. Reds
3. Angels
4. Pirates
5. Astros

Honorable Mention: Tigers, Padres, Royals

Dislike:

1. Red Sox
2. Yankees
3. Mets
4. Phillies
5. Blue Jays

Old 05-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I don't hate them but in regards to your statement:

I liked John Rocker. That was quality entertainment.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I've hated the Braves since I was a little kid in the 90s and they always seemed to be winning (a trait no Red Sox fan in the 90s would appreciate in another team).

More importantly, I hate them because Ted Turner shoves them down the whole cable-viewing nation's throats via TBS. No, I do not care about the Braves! And I do not need to see the Georgia weather while I am in Nova Scotia on ****ing 'peachtree tv'.

And lastly, they were once a Boston team so I need to either love them for being there or hate them for leaving. Due to my two previous reasons I opted toward the latter.

The only team in the NL I really dislike.
Turner hasn't owned the Braves for years. The Braves are no longer on TBS. Last year they were on TBS for maybe twenty games. Now, TBS shows random games. Kind of sad. That said, we can watch the Braves on Sport South, Peachtree TV, or FSN.

Why are you watching Peachtree TV? You must have the MLB satellite package, and you're getting Peachtree TV's feed, an Atlanta station, which is relevant for those in the area.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:08 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Teams that I like/Love:

1. Phillies- Home town team
2. Pirates- Favorite Player's team- Roberto Clemente
3. Rays- Fiesty Young team

Teams that I HATE!

1. Mets aka The Mess

2. Yankee's - Tired of seeing ESPN show almost all of their games.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:00 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
I'm not the biggest Baseball fanatic out there, I don't really keep up with the game, but even there are some teams I do like, and others that don't get on my good side

Teams I like:

1. Texas Rangers- Count me in as one on their bandwagon this season, I know they have sucked for the longest time, but I like rooting for the underdog. I like the DFW area too.

2. Cubs/ and to an extent White Sox: I like Chicago, it's a cool city and I have neighbors from there who are big time Cub fans, and they've sorta gotten me interested. Plus, they gotta win it all soon, maybe. White Sox are ok, my local team, Charlotte Knights are the Triple-A "brother" of the ChiSox, so I get to see their stars of tomorrow playing today.

3. Atlanta Braves- The local team I guess, my Grandpa was a big fan of the team and watched almost every game on TBS, he sent me a championship T-Shirt from when they won the 95 WS.

4. Durham Bulls/ Charlotte Knights/ Myrtle Beach Pelicans- 3 minor league teams I see pretty often. Durham is my birthplace, Charlotte my current location, MB a summer resort.

5. Baltimore Orioles- Uncle likes them

Can't say I really dislike a certain team however, I truly despise the excessive love affair the Yanks get all the time, but I can respect their history, I don't really care for seeing so many people sporting BoSox gear since '04, but I would love to go see them play at Fenway someday.

And there you have it

Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Teams that I like/Love:

1. Phillies- Home town team
2. Pirates- Favorite Player's team- Roberto Clemente
3. Rays- Fiesty Young team

Teams that I HATE!

1. Mets aka The Mess

2. Yankee's - Tired of seeing ESPN show almost all of their games.

Teams that I love

NY Yankees
Giants
Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Teams I despise

Boston Redsox
Dallas Cowboys

Old 06-07-2009, 09:57 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Teams that I love

NY Yankees
Giants
Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Teams I despise

Boston Redsox
Dallas Cowboys
Ditto on the Cowboys. America's team my a$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball