Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:27 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

A Team who is favored all during the offseason and expected to succeed and then falls apart in the last month of the season to a Philadelphia Team.

Mets has collasped since 2006 and had a Philly Team take over just like the Cowboys have done since 2006

Never realized how much these two teams have so much in common
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 11:17 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
A Team who is favored all during the offseason and expected to succeed and then falls apart in the last month of the season to a Philadelphia Team.
Beyond this coincidental event, the Mets and Cowboys have almost NOTHING in common.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:24 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Beyond this coincidental event, the Mets and Cowboys have almost NOTHING in common.
One team has the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and the other has a mascot with a giant baseball for a head...

Advantage: Cowboys

Old 06-21-2009, 02:31 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
One team has the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and the other has a mascot with a giant baseball for a head...

Advantage: Cowboys

But both team are masters when it comes to choking

Old 06-21-2009, 08:35 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
I'd say the Yankees are more similar to Dallas. Always favored, large fan base not even from the area where the team plays, tons of hype, huge payroll, always the lead story, senile owner, etc

Old 06-21-2009, 09:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002
I'd say the Yankees are more similar to Dallas. Always favored, large fan base not even from the area where the team plays, tons of hype, huge payroll, always the lead story, senile owner, etc
Great point.

The Mets just seem to never get over that hump, for what ever reason. Be it in the late 90s with the Braves, or 2000 with the Yankees, or even now with the injuries, the Mets just seem to never make it over that final hump.

It is still early in the season; summer just started.

I'll see what type of trade the Mets will make in July. Anything can happen.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Great point.

The Mets just seem to never get over that hump, for what ever reason. Be it in the late 90s with the Braves, or 2000 with the Yankees, or even now with the injuries, the Mets just seem to never make it over that final hump.

It is still early in the season; summer just started.

I'll see what type of trade the Mets will make in July. Anything can happen.
I'd have to expect that any trade is basically going to be for some has-been with a large contract that somebody is looking to dump. I'm not optimistic about Omar pulling off any blockbusters here. I'd actually love to see him ship the highly overrated Beltran out, but it won't happen.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'd have to expect that any trade is basically going to be for some has-been with a large contract that somebody is looking to dump. I'm not optimistic about Omar pulling off any blockbusters here. I'd actually love to see him ship the highly overrated Beltran out, but it won't happen.
Overrated?

You gotta be kidding me!

This guy is batting right now .336, with 40 RBIs and 8 HRs. Though, he have been for the most part, the most consitant bat in the Mets lineup. In fact, in his 5 years in New York, I would say Beltran has the best numbers when it comes to the core of him, Reyes, and Wright.

He also plays a solid CF, and is a gold glover in 06,07,08.

How is he overrated??

Old 06-22-2009, 11:32 AM

At this point the Mets SHOULD either stand pat and play out the season and see where it takes them; or, try and sell off a player like Ryan Church who they aren't high on anyway for a prospect who could be major league ready in 2010. Forget about a blockbuster trade because one person isn't going to be the big fix they need.

That's what they should do. It's probably not what they will do.

They will be stubborn. They will continue to bank on Reyes and Delgado coming back and being the versions of Reyes and Delgado that they want them to be.

While they bank on that, they lied about Reyes running this week. Reyes said he's afraid to run because of the way he's feeling right now. Until he runs, he's not coming back, and even then how good will he be? By his own admission, he's in serious pain when he makes quick moves. Well what other moves is Reyes on the team to make? And Delgado, who looks like he is around 100 years old now, might not make it back at all. The organization says yes, and he says we'll have to wait and see. Even if he comes back, he's still going to be old and he's still going to be hurting.

There are plenty of other problems with this team, the least of which is that even some of the healthy guys can't seem to run the bases or make routine catches.

This is not a championship team. They might be two out, but they might as well be 22 out. Even if they back into the playoffs somehow, they just won't have the depth to compete. Yes, any team that makes the playoffs can get hot and win it all, but not without the parts that this team doesn't have this year.

Of course, many will disagree. And many will hope that a big name guy comes in to save the day. But unless that person can be added to the pitching rotation, the bullpen, left field, second base, AND hit for power; you'll be giving up parts to get him that you will need next year.

You don't trade the future for something that just isn't going to happen anyway.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Overrated?

You gotta be kidding me!

This guy is batting right now .336, with 40 RBIs and 8 HRs. Though, he have been for the most part, the most consitant bat in the Mets lineup. In fact, in his 5 years in New York, I would say Beltran has the best numbers when it comes to the core of him, Reyes, and Wright.

He also plays a solid CF, and is a gold glover in 06,07,08.

How is he overrated??
Beltran is an excellent player. Probably the best center fielder in the league, and in late innings right now the only guy who can actually get on base and make things happen.

Problem is, he's going in for an MRI today. He says he can't play in this kind of pain much longer.

He's a fantastic player, but keeping him on the field is going to be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball