Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 12:30 PM

37 posts, read 75,289 times

Advertisements

I will throw out any fanbase that has a large amount of passion even when the teams aren't good....so no to Boston, New York, Philadelphia and the like.

Now this list starts and ends in places which don't give a crap about the team until they win, or don't even give a crap about the team even when they win. I'm looking at you, among others, Tampa Bay and Florida fans.

How could Yanks/Sox/Phillies fans be worse than them? Because they're bigger fanbases? Because they help your team sell-out their ballpark for once? Because they're in the northeast and by default are more classless? Wearing Giants gear in the worst parts of Chavez Ravine might be a worse idea than Red Sox gear in the YS bleachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 04:25 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
i remember many, many, empty days at the vet - they were one of the easiest tickets in town the 5 years I was living there

$5 would get you into the stadium and then you could pretty much sit wherever you wanted

Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Well, what do you mean by "worst" fans? I think the worst fans are the ones who come to games disguised as empty seats. So check the stats for low (if not pathetic) attendance figures, and that's the city we're talkin' about!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 AM

815 posts, read 2,137,942 times
I would say my Braves have the worst fans......a pretty good team with a history of winning (and losing in the WS)

Old 09-29-2009, 04:36 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
I would say my Braves have the worst fans......a pretty good team with a history of winning (and losing in the WS)
I can't explain the disconnect with (most of) the city and team. It's weird because we're popular nationally but it doesn't look good domestically. I'm not one extreme or the other (fairweather/diehard). I have Braves paraphernalia (shirts, fitted caps, jerseys, ties, etc), follow the team, and attend some games... I thought that there were more people like me in my town. Ah well.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i remember many, many, empty days at the vet - they were one of the easiest tickets in town the 5 years I was living there

$5 would get you into the stadium and then you could pretty much sit wherever you wanted
That's probably because until 2003/2004, our owners were cheap, and didnt invest in the team, and no one wants to see a team that is out there simply to represent the owner getting paid. We also played in the Vet and as much as we loved our dump, it was one of the crappiest stadiums ever. Attendance has been very steady since CBP opened.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
That's probably because until 2003/2004, our owners were cheap, and didnt invest in the team, and no one wants to see a team that is out there simply to represent the owner getting paid. We also played in the Vet and as much as we loved our dump, it was one of the crappiest stadiums ever. Attendance has been very steady since CBP opened.
Yep!

I think we sold out 48 straight times this year.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:56 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:

The Vet was also a huge stadium. You could have 30,000 fans in there and it still looked empty.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
i'm just sayin'............

let's take away city labels, etc and look at some parallels

cheap owners/not investing in a team
disconnect between ownership & fans
dumpy stadium with a poor environment
football stadium that will always look empty

however, a new stadium is built, ownership connects with the community and the team has success and sellouts follow shortly thereafter

a team that is being hailed as having great fans who will be there regardless in their very recent past had a lot of the same issue that marlins the have

at least in philly the weather was usually nice and the stadium was pretty easy to get to

make no mistake, i'm not putting down the fans there - just at times memories can be a little short and perceptions aren't always 100% accurate

and for what it's worth i had more fun at the vet than i ever have had out here in phoenix for games

Old 10-01-2009, 03:49 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
i'm just sayin'............

let's take away city labels, etc and look at some parallels

cheap owners/not investing in a team
disconnect between ownership & fans
dumpy stadium with a poor environment
football stadium that will always look empty

however, a new stadium is built, ownership connects with the community and the team has success and sellouts follow shortly thereafter

a team that is being hailed as having great fans who will be there regardless in their very recent past had a lot of the same issue that marlins the have

at least in philly the weather was usually nice and the stadium was pretty easy to get to

make no mistake, i'm not putting down the fans there - just at times memories can be a little short and perceptions aren't always 100% accurate

and for what it's worth i had more fun at the vet than i ever have had out here in phoenix for games

? Our attendance wasn't great, but it wasn't worse than the Marlins' attendance now. Why should fans be loyal if it's clear that year after year, the owners are putting 0 into the team? There's no reason we should've had 40-50K at those games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball