Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

He goes 8 shutout innings for the Phillies tonight, throwing 130 pitches.

Clocked 90 MPH on pitch 129.

Thought I was watching "Classic Baseball", instead of a live game. Hard to believe he still had this in him, especially following a 119 pitch outing on Tuesday.

Oh yeah, Phillies beat the Mets 1-0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 11:03 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
And on that note, Pedro (mathematically speaking) puts an official end to the Mets season, as they are eliminated from both the division and the WC "races", not that this is exactly news.

Pedro, on the other hand, now 5-0 with a 2.87 ERA sure is making things interesting. The Phillies have had a few rough spots recently, but they've won every game he has started so far.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:23 AM

25 posts, read 36,257 times
Yes!! I was watching that on TV!

It was really getting exciting in the 8th. The crowd was on their feet as Pedro was attempting to do something he hadn't done since 2006 (complete 8 innings); and without giving up a single run, to boot!! It looked like he was in trouble when he gave up that 2 out double, but I was elated to see that they were keeping him in, letting him get one more guy. When Ruiz nailed that guy going for 3rd for the final out of the inning, I jumped up and said "yes!!" Oh yeah, Pedro's still an exhilarating pitcher to watch; a master of his veteran craft.

Most impressive feat: Pedro's 130 pitch count is the highest he's put up since 2001, when he was 29! And, he's pitched over 100 pitches in his last start!

The guy's 5-0 since coming to the Phills. They haven't lost a game that he's started. I think he's proven himself. I really hope they keep him in the rotation for the playoffs.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Awesome job last night!

He looked Stellar out there on the mound.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:57 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Leave it to the Mets to tell the best pitcher of our generation he's washed up only to see him dominate them pitching for a rival. And he did it in a supposed "bandbox" too that was supposed to be the only reason Mets pitchers don't do well in Philly.

Give Minaya a lifetime contract!

Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM

306 posts, read 636,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Leave it to the Mets to tell the best pitcher of our generation he's washed up only to see him dominate them pitching for a rival. And he did it in a supposed "bandbox" too that was supposed to be the only reason Mets pitchers don't do well in Philly.

Give Minaya a lifetime contract!

Not to defend Omar, but considering Pedro's sub-par performance with the Mets the last three years of his contract, I would have done the same thing.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
Not to defend Omar, but considering Pedro's sub-par performance with the Mets the last three years of his contract, I would have done the same thing.
Pedro's subpar stint with the Mets probably also has something to do with the lack of good coaching and training and it's Minaya's job to hire them. I'm loving it!

Old 09-14-2009, 03:10 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
I still say that the crack Met medical staff rushed him back too fast last year because of the tightness of the 2008 NL East race, which is why we looked the way he looked.

Fire Omar, Fire the doctors and someone make Wilpon an offer he can't refuse?

Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
I watched Pedro pitch with the Red Sox for the years he spent in Boston. He was one of the best pitchers in the game, and I think he recaptured some of that magic last night. I watched the entire game and was really amazed at his ability to keep the hitters guessing. He did a fantastic job, and going 8 and throwing more than 130 pitches just goes to show how ridiculous that pitch count stuff really can be.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Well, if you open up the Baseball Encyclopedia and turn to the "pitcher" section, you can see almost endless examples of veteran pitchers who passed their prime, were starting to win noticeably fewer games, then got traded and voila! They suddenly looked like their old superstar selves again. This is not to take anything away from Martinez' brilliant performances with the Phils. But that history dictates it would be a mistake for them to keep him around any longer than this 2009 season. Let's see whose uniform he's wearing in '10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball