Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 PM

77 posts, read 183,832 times

Advertisements

Naples is a very nice place. I believe the cubs would be a great fit for Spring Training there. This area has been hit hard by foreclosures but so has Arizona. I just think the Cubs need a change. I would love to see the Red Sox 6 times a spring. Florida offers more for me. Plus I have family in Southwest Florida. I wonder if the real estate market will comeback? What does everybody think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
I like it Hamlin and you're right Naples is right around the corner from Ft Myers you would see a lot of the Twins too, the trouble is these Florida cities are so spread out, that I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams start training in Arizona.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
My understanding, after discussing it with a couple of front office types in Arizona this past spring, was that Arizona offered better deals for the teams to move there. This included building extensive practice sites, plus providing financial incentives.

I believe that Florida generally wasn't too sorry to see some teams move out, because of the land boom that was taking place through the mid-2000's. I believe that some communities found it more lucrative to develop land the ball fields were occupying, and felt that more tax revenue would be realized from alternative development.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
the cubs aren't going anywhere - just some business and politics going on in mesa

also, don't expect AZ to lure many more teams in - they are happy with their # and the revenues to draw further teams have dried up

what you are going to see is the last straglers get out of tucson and having all the spring training in the phoenix metro (I currently have access to 5 stadiums and 9 teams within 25 minutes of my house - i like it)

probably the only other team out there that I can think of that would be attractive to AZ that isn't currently here is MN

i think either chicago team would do equally well either in AZ or FL

Old 12-19-2009, 05:38 AM

52,683 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Personally, I think they should move to Naples, Italy. It might also make a great vacation spot for them after their 2010 elimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I like it Hamlin and you're right Naples is right around the corner from Ft Myers you would see a lot of the Twins too, the trouble is these Florida cities are so spread out, that I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams start training in Arizona.
I don't think the locations should make much of a difference no matter what the teams are, aardvarks. My feeling is that Spring Training still brings in the bucks for businesses. It would be a mistake for Florida to lose any more teams to Arizona just to put something else in.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca[B
se44;12091447]Personally, I think they should move to Naples, Italy. It might also make a great vacation spot for them after their 2010 elimination.[/b]

I don't think the locations should make much of a difference no matter what the teams are, aardvarks. My feeling is that Spring Training still brings in the bucks for businesses. It would be a mistake for Florida to lose any more teams to Arizona just to put something else in.
LOL, Case

I can't speak personally about Arizona, since I have been there yet, but I've heard the teams are all in close proximity to one another. That's definitely not the case in Fla. 3 or 4 hour bus rides are the norm down there.

and it might not be the State's decision.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My understanding, after discussing it with a couple of front office types in Arizona this past spring, was that Arizona offered better deals for the teams to move there. This included building extensive practice sites, plus providing financial incentives.

I believe that Florida generally wasn't too sorry to see some teams move out, because of the land boom that was taking place through the mid-2000's. I believe that some communities found it more lucrative to develop land the ball fields were occupying, and felt that more tax revenue would be realized from alternative development.

Regarding Florida, how sad. Spring training baseball had been a cash cow there for years. It's like, now, they want to wish it away???! Exactly what is the thinking with Floridians?

And the Cubs are just fine where they are at. If Florida is going to change their baseball stance, then teams considering going there might as well stay in Arizona.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:07 PM

251 posts, read 311,456 times
I want them to stay in AZ very much. I love that area of the country.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Looks like it's a done deal.

Mesa has accepted the terms and the Cubs just have to approve on their end.

Another new ballpark will be built.

Am I right that there are only 2 teams left in Tucson?

If that's true, then you can bet they'll be in the Phoenix area before too long.....

Spring training is a hoot out here.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 PM

623 posts, read 1,541,987 times
The fact that there are far less rainouts in AZ is also a big appeal, along with the close proximity of many of the teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball