Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
They don't want lowell. The hitting and, especially, the D will go up at 3rd. The D will also go up in CF and LF.

Bay would have been for 4 years

These other deals are for one or two years.

Epstein is doing very well
I do think they're good additions but in the outfield you are losing out significantly in run production.That being said I think hitting wise they are about the same,defensively better.The bullpen has dropped off with guys like Saito and Wagner gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The bullpen has dropped off with guys like Saito and Wagner gone.
Huh? Wagner came over late in the season and was limited in his use. Losing him is hardly a trauma. The draft pick from Atlanta was worth it.

Saito was an experienced arm, but he wasn't the primary setup guy. The Sox have Bard, Delcarmen, Okajima, Ramirez, and Paps, along with the option of using Wake, Tazawa, and a host of rookies, along with Bonser who they picked up from Minn. The pen is just fine behind the best starting rotation in MLB.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Huh? Wagner came over late in the season and was limited in his use. Losing him is hardly a trauma. The draft pick from Atlanta was worth it.

Saito was an experienced arm, but he wasn't the primary setup guy. The Sox have Bard, Delcarmen, Okajima, Ramirez, and Paps, along with the option of using Wake, Tazawa, and a host of rookies, along with Bonser who they picked up from Minn. The pen is just fine behind the best starting rotation in MLB.
You do have some depth in the bullpen,I just see a dropoff even though not huge.As far as your starters go,they are very good; but my Yankees have the best rotation in baseball,period!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
As far as your starters go,they are very good; but my Yankees have the best rotation in baseball,period!
On that we will have to disagree, and I would submit that if you look at the depth and stats between the two rotations, the Sox have it without it question. The Yankees are struggling with rotation slots 4 and 5...the Sox are set with 6 quality starters.

Beckett
Lackey
Lester
Buchholz
Dice-K
Wakefield as needed for 6th man

Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
Quote:
You do have some depth in the bullpen,I just see a dropoff even though not huge.As far as your starters go,they are very good; but my Yankees have the best rotation in baseball,period!

Beckett Push Sabathia

Lester > Burnett

Lackey > Vazquez

Dice-K > Pettite

Buchholtz > Hughes/Chamberland

Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
[/b]

Beckett Push Sabathia

Lester > Burnett

Lackey > Vazquez

Dice-K > Pettite

Buchholtz > Hughes/Chamberland
Your rotation wont setup like that. Lackey will be 1 or 2 and it goes more like this

Sabathia > Beckett
Burnett < Lackey (if healthy)
Pettite = Lester
Vazquez > Matsuzaka
Hughes > Bucholtz( I do think Bucholtz was better then Joba as a starter as of last year)
As far as Wakefield goes,we have Gaudin who is better then him!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71;12315996[B
]Your rotation wont setup like that[/b]. Lackey will be 1 or 2 and it goes more like this

Sabathia > Beckett
Pettite = Lester
Vazquez > Matsuzaka
Hughes > Bucholtz( I do think Bucholtz was better then Joba as a starter as of last year)
As far as Wakefield goes,we have Gaudin who is better then him!
you watch

R, L, R

Beckett, Lester, Lackey

I'm not sure you can put anybody better than Beckett when he's right.
and Lester is >>> Pettite now and it's really not that close.

Pettite 10 years ago I would have agreed with you but Lester was in grade school.

Petitte's era the last 3 yr's

4.05, 4.54, 4.16

Lester's ERA the last 2 yr's

3.21, 3.41

as far as Hughes he does have a great pedigree, but until he shows us something as a starting pitcher in the big leagues, Buccholyz > Hughes

Whether you want to admit it or not Beckett, Lester and Lackey if healthy all have a legit shot at a Cy-Young this yr. I can only say that about Sabathia for your team.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Sabathia > Beckett
Sabathia and Beckett is pretty much a push. The slightest of edges to CC.
Using Fielding Independent Pitching and CHONE projections from Fangraphs
Sabathia 3.39 FIP last year, 3.59 career, and 3.41 estimated by CHONE
Beckett 3.63, 3.61, 3.48

Quote:
Burnett (if healthy) = Lackey (if healthy). Remeber AJ only pitched about 150 innings a season in 2006/2007. He's no sure thing. I'm not a big fan of the Lackey signing by Bos.
Burnett 4.33, 3.83, 4.17
Lackey 3.73, 3.83, 3.97

Quote:
Pettite = Lester
. As a Yankee fan you've been able to avoid many of the things that makes people hate Yankee fans. But you are way over rating your guy or underrating Lester here.
Pettite isn't, and never was, as good as Lester is or will be
Pettite 4.15, 3.74, 4.16
Lester 3.15, 3.78, 3.57

Quote:
Vazquez > Matsuzaka
Vazquez and Matsuzaka are hard to predict. I'll give Vazquez the edge because of Dice-K's health issues and because Vazquez was great last year.
Vazquez 2.77, 3.83, 3.61
Dice-K 5.09, 4.27, 4.34

Quote:
Hughes/Joba vs Bucholtz. Hard to say here because non of these guys have been full time starters and we don't know how the Yankees will use Hughes and Joba. All have the potential to be better than league average starters
Joba 4.82, 3.79, 4.17
Hughes 3.22, 3.85, 3.86 (this includes a lot of relief work)
Bucholtz 4.69, 4.51, 4.28

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/st.../glossary/#fip
Quote:
Fielding Independent Pitching, a measure of all those things for which a pitcher is specifically responsible. The formula is (HR*13+(BB+HBP-IBB)*3-K*2)/IP, plus a league-specific factor (usually around 3.2) to round out the number to an equivalent ERA number. FIP helps you understand how well a pitcher pitched, regardless of how well his fielders fielded. FIP was invented by Tangotiger.

Last edited by filihok; 01-06-2010 at 03:04 AM..

Old 01-31-2010, 05:01 PM

125 posts, read 251,407 times
Red Sox rotation > Yankees rotation.
Red Sox defense > Yankees defense.
Red Sox offense < Yankees offense.

The best thing for Boston is that they have a Top 3 farm system and certainly have a ton of quality prospects to trade for a big bat at the trading deadline. And they might need to. I'm not convinced that their offense is good enough to win a championship.

Should be an interesting season in the AL East yet again...

Old 02-01-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonceltz View Post
Red Sox rotation > Yankees rotation.
Red Sox defense > Yankees defense.
Red Sox offense < Yankees offense.

The best thing for Boston is that they have a Top 3 farm system and certainly have a ton of quality prospects to trade for a big bat at the trading deadline. And they might need to. I'm not convinced that their offense is good enough to win a championship.

Should be an interesting season in the AL East yet again...
I do think that their offense is good enough,just not as much power as they previously had and also once they get rid of Lowell.Some of the best Yankee teams of the 90's had alot of hitters that were single,double guys that also were willing to lay down situational bunts.The issue with the Red Sox might be their middle relief in my opinion.I do think their depth behind their everyday starters in the field has improved though more then anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball