Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 08:03 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
He can't hide behind anyone anymore, so there's no one to take the blame. Maybe the GM since Gilch (whatever) is basically GM in "name only" but anyone else he could scapegoat he has.
Unconfirmed reports out of Saint Louis have John Mozeliak being dismissed as President of Baseball Operations, and a press conference is scheduled for Monday, 1 October, at 11:00.

Mike Girsch, Vice President and General Manager, would become Interim President of Baseball Operations while Mozeliak's replacement is found. He should be able to do more with Mozeliak gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 09:01 PM

What will the Cardinals do in the offseason in preparation for the 2019 season and beyond?

Front Office

Firing John Mozeliak and finding a pro-baseball executive to preside over and lead baseball operations should be certainties.

Coaches

The coaching staff under Mike Shildt is great. Pitching is better under Mike Maddux. Hitting and batting could use someone who has experience hitting balls with bats for base hits and runs batted in. Mark Budaska, Hitting Coach, and George Greer, Batting Coach, could remain in their present roles, or they could be assistant coaches under a Hitting/Batting Coach.

Roster

Departures should be certain for specific players. Departing via trade should be Brett Cecil, Dexter Fowler, José Martinez, Mike Mayers, and Luke Weaver. Martínez would benefit as a Designated Hitter for an American League team. Fowler is an underachiever with a big contract. Cecil, Mayers, and Weaver cannot pitch well. I think the Cardinals will need to move some assets (Greg García, Jedd Gyorko, Kolten Wong) to upgrade positions.

Pending free agents include Matt Adams, Bud Norris, Tyson Ross, and Adam Wainwright. Wainwright should return on a one-year deal, or he could finish his career with the organization he started with - the Atlanta Braves. Adams should be retained if Martínez is traded.

The Cardinals have money to pursue free agents. Positions of necessity would be starting pitching, relief pitching, first base, and a utility infielder. Relief pitching could be addressed by starting with a legitimate closing pitcher. Craig Kimbrel (Boston Red Sox) would be desired. His future depends on the Red Sox's playoff run. I am not impressed with a shallow pool of available first basemen and infielders.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:51 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Gyorko is worthless, send him down the Mississippi. Cards need to make a big splash in FA: I suggest: Sign Manny Machado, and move DeJong over to third, with Carp staying at first.

OF is fine. Hopefully someone will take Fowler's contract off their hands, and Ozuna gets his shoulder fixed so he can actually throw. Bader & O'Neil should be the opening day starters in CF & RF respectively, so I wouldn't pursue any of those FA outfielders (Harper, Brantley, etc). Edit, and I agree I think Martinez ends up getting traded to an AL team I would be shocked to see him back with the Cards once 2019 begins.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:24 AM

I wonder if the Los Angeles Angels (American League) would have interest in Dexter Fowler and José Martínez. Albert Pujols wants to return to the Cardinals.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The Cardinals were eliminated last night. Sad. I was a Cardinal fan for a long time, but I can't identify with them anymore. Their organization has gone downhill. Is it the ownership? I left STL 20+ years ago, so have not kept up on what has happened to the leadership. It used to be a classy organization when I lived there.

I moved to ATL and slowly fell in love with the Braves, but the corp ownership leaves a lot to be desired. Yes, we made the playoffs for the 1st time in 5 years, and yes, we have some exciting young players, but I still hate MLB teams owned by faceless mega-corps.

Better luck next year Cardinal fans. I hope whatever is broken gets fixed very soon.
We have loved the Cards even when we were in Los Angeles and are huge Dodger fans. We are happy that the Dodgers will be in the playoffs. I still think the Cards are a good team. We are in NWA so do get them on the radio and quite often on TV.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:16 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
As a lifelong Cub fan I find it kind of funny how dismayed Cardinal fans are by a few less than stellar seasons. I've watched the Cardinals win again and again over the last 40 years--World Series championships and pennants and division championships--while the lovable loser Cubs languished far back in the field, year after year after year.

The Cardinals are our arch-rivals, of course, but I've always had a soft spot for the franchise, probably because my father was drafted into their minor league system many years ago. They are a great franchise and I have no doubt they will rise again.

I love the competitiveness between our two teams and I look forward to many more years of great rivalry between them.

But now, on to the Cubs in the playoffs!

Old 11-28-2018, 05:41 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,558,437 times
Boy, if this isn't a slap in the face to us.....

I was hoping we could land Greinke, but we'll have to look elsewhere now. He doesn't want to play in St Louis? So be it, I say.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-loui...-hunt-and-peck

Meanwhile, we are still in the running for Paul Goldschmidt at first.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:50 AM

A slap in the face to Cardinals fans and the Saint Louis Cardinals would be John Mozeliak and Mike Girsch not participating in player acquisition yet in the offseason. Twenty-nine other Major League Baseball clubs are making moves.

The Cardinals will need to do more than placing loser Matt Bowman on waivers (claimed by Cincinnati Reds). Trade away Dexter Fowler. Acquire batters who hit balls with bats for base hits and runs batted in. Improve the depth in bullpen pitching with legitimate relief pitching and a legitimate closing pitcher.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:17 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
They traded for Paul Goldschmidt today, so that's a start at least. Not sure who went back to the D'Backs however. I heard Wong was in earlier rumors.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:33 AM

Pitcher Luke Weaver, catcher Carson Kelly, prospect infielder Andy Young, and a Round B compensation pick in the 2019 draft were traded to Arizona for Goldschmidt.

Kelly was projected to succeed Yadier Molina as catcher.

Weaver is not a loss. He regressed this season with bad pitching. He had to go.

The outfield will involve Marcell Ozuna, Harrison Bader, and Tyler O'Neill. Dexter Fowler needs to go. José Martínez can go to an American League team in need of a designated hitter.

Pitching could use improvement in the rotation and in relief. This can be addressed by a trade involving Fowler and/or José Martínez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball