Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,651 times

Advertisements

As it is, they have a pretty solid starting rotation going, and the middle of their lineup is pretty damn clutch, but ..... I do wonder how much longer they can stay afloat with that dismal bullpen of their's (Rhodes and the closer notwithstanding). Will the bullpen be fixed before the rotation falls apart? Will the offense continue to be clutch before Rolen goes down with an injury or Phillips decides that he's a 50 HR hitter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 08:42 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
I am hoping so, I really like the Reds. The division seems to be winnable, but teams with bad B Pens can be a paper lion, look good through June but start to fade in July and August. We shall see.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
The Reds are good. Probably not as good as the Cardinals

Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
The concern over the bullpen is legitimate, more so because the Reds have not had to rely too heavily upon them so far. They have been very fortunate in the health of their five starters, of their 56 games so far, only two have been started by any one other than their five man rotation. Further, in those 54 starts by the rotation, they are averaging 6.1 innings per start. That has meant that the bullpen has been responsible for only a third of the innings pitched.

If the rotation remains healthy and continues to cover two thirds of all of the Reds defensive innings, they should be okay. An injury among the starters would hurt them, a couple of injuries would probably cripple them.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Masset not pitching like he did last year is stopping this team from being solid across the board. I just think that the Cards have a little too much for them though unfortunately, but hey, anything can happen. They have some talent in the Minors and hopefully Homer Bailey can pitch like he did the last month of last season again.

Heck, it's June 9th and they are tied for first. Why the hell not?????

Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times
You can bet your bottom dollar Rolen's going to ask for a trade by next year at this time at the latest.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:54 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
You can bet your bottom dollar Rolen's going to ask for a trade by next year at this time at the latest.
Nah...I think Rolen realizes he's not the star player he once was at this point. Plus, he's running out of midwestern teams to play for, which is really the only place he wants to play. Who would habe thought that Polanco, the player the Cards traded to the Phils for Rolen, would become the better of the 2 players?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Nah...I think Rolen realizes he's not the star player he once was at this point. Plus, he's running out of midwestern teams to play for, which is really the only place he wants to play. Who would habe thought that Polanco, the player the Cards traded to the Phils for Rolen, would become the better of the 2 players?
Exactly. This is Rolen's last stop. He is playing close to home. They reworked his deal to extend his contract. Unless the Reds are terrible and out of it next year he isnt going anywhere. Not sure they could get a lot for him anyhow, even though he is having a good comeback season right now.

G Man

Old 06-10-2010, 07:38 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,285 times
I live in Cincy and rhe Reds have been my favorite team from when i was a little tyke. I went to the game last night and am going back tomorrow night. I consider myself someone of an expert on this topic, haha.

The bullpen - Rhodes is a triple OG. The streak he is on is amazing. He is a rock. Coco gets the job done. Sometimes its dicey but at the end of the year his numbers are rock solid. It would nice if we werent paying a closer 12 mil, but it is what it is. Unfortunately the missing piece is Nick Masset. The guy was lights out last year but we havent seen that Masset this season. Starting to think we may never. Its tough because we have lost 1/2 of our set up because of this. Otherwise, its pretty much an open tryout in the pen. Anyone who gets guys out will earn and keep an important set up job. Herrera doesnt dazzle you but he is serviceable. I like the Del Rosario kid, he is a groundball machine.

The rotation has been solid. You know what you will get from Bronson. Harangatang has turned it around as of late and is giving solid starts. He is basically our 5th starter at this point so that is what we are asking for. Johnny Rockets has been brillant lately. Leake is in the running for ROTY and still doesnt have a loss in his pro career. Homer was turning it on before the soulder injury, but he pitched in Louisville on Tuesday and may be back this weekend. LeClure has stepped in and made some good starts. We got some arms in the minors and of course everyone is watching Chapman to come up at some point. Dont forget about Edinson Volquez who is on track to be back from Tommy John surgery in Augustish. I heard he may come out of the pen for this season. I'm not counting on getting anything from him in 2010 so if we do its a bonus.

Bruce has picked it up after a slow start. As mentioned Rolen is having a big bounce back year with the power numbers. Moving Stubbs down in the lineup has lit a fire under him. OC has held down short well. BP has been hot. Gomes has produced some power. Hernandez is hitting near .300 and i cant wait til Hanigan is back (Corky Miller is a joke). Votto is one of the best players in the league.

Like most mid market teams it is pretty thin, if a starter or position player goes down, there isnt a lot to step in most of the time. I also think the Reds could be buyers come the trade deadline and may add a bullpen arm or two.

G Man

Old 06-10-2010, 07:43 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
I view the Reds as a rising middle-of-the-pack team today. I suspect they'll end the season with about 82-85 wins, but have the talent mix to be a 90 win team within a season or two.

Hope the fans get behind them soon, the team is worth supporting. Generally, it's been a good baseball town, with very knowledgeable fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball