Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Jordan doesn't have a better shooting percentage because of his hands; it is because of his head. People forget how wild and reckless Kobe was during his early years, with the fade-away three point attempts. He still has a tendency to get a little wild now. I don't ever remember Jordan exhibiting such poor shot selection.
Exactly, and to add to that, Jordan was much better at creating space for his shot,by employing a lot of head, shoulder, fake one way- go the other type moves. He didn't rely on and-1 style dribbling like Kobe did in his youth. Kobe often finds himself in a situation where he winds up double and triple pumping in order to get a shot off in a defender's face. Yeah he makes his share of them, but he also misses his share of them, accounting for the lower percentage. Jordan was much more fundamentally sound in the way he created space, which allowed him room to get a shot off sometimes unchallenged because he had faked the hell out of the defender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:26 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Exactly, and to add to that, Jordan was much better at creating space for his shot,by employing a lot of head, shoulder, fake one way- go the other type moves. He didn't rely on and-1 style dribbling like Kobe did in his youth. Kobe often finds himself in a situation where he winds up double and triple pumping in order to get a shot off in a defender's face. Yeah he makes his share of them, but he also misses his share of them, accounting for the lower percentage. Jordan was much more fundamentally sound in the way he created space, which allowed him room to get a shot off sometimes unchallenged because he had faked the hell out of the defender.
Absolutely. I've pointed out Kobe's shooting percentage over his career as a key example as to when he stopped trying so hard and forcing things trying to "prove himself". About 2 years after Shaq left he figured it out and has been playing at an MVP level.

What was funny was all the people that loved Kobe back when he was taking a lot of bad shots because he'd light someone up for 40 but then have a 22pt. night in a loss where he shot 30%...and they'd forget that. Then again, this was during the "Iverson Era" where people completely ignored shooting percentage and as long as you put up 30 your teamates would get blamed for not supporting you. lol.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Absolutely. I've pointed out Kobe's shooting percentage over his career as a key example as to when he stopped trying so hard and forcing things trying to "prove himself". About 2 years after Shaq left he figured it out and has been playing at an MVP level.
Which is not to say, in fairness, that Jordan didn't take his share of bad shots. He did, but very often when the shot clock was winding down and he had to heave something, and perhaps a few other occasions when he didn't trust his teammates( the pre-championship years). But generally, Jordan found a balance which Kobe still sometimes struggles with, after 14 years. Moreso than talent, one big difference between the two is IQ. Jordan was the smarter and more efficient player.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 PM

86 posts, read 326,196 times
Why do we have this thread?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
ZZZZZzzzzzzz....somebody wake me up when Colby wins a championship, without the help of Stern or Shaq.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:07 AM

219 posts, read 261,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
ZZZZZzzzzzzz....somebody wake me up when Colby wins a championship, without the help of Stern or Shaq.
Conspiracy theory guy... lame

Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrej View Post
Why do we have this thread?
To discuss basketball-related matters.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
FYI, part of why I made this thread is as a response to how trendy its become in basketball circles to bash Shaq and ride Kobe's jock.

I was (unintentionally) watching Jim Rome the other day, and when responding to a Shaq quote about his career having gone better than expected, he ripped him and said he should have won six rings, then talked about Kobe's commitment to the game. I'm not trying to say Shaq works as hard as Kobe, but when you've got commentators actually suggesting that six rings is realistic expectation for anyone, and that finishing #5 all time in scoring is somehow a disappointment, it's getting kind of ridiculous.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
FYI, part of why I made this thread is as a response to how trendy its become in basketball circles to bash Shaq and ride Kobe's jock.

I was (unintentionally) watching Jim Rome the other day, and when responding to a Shaq quote about his career having gone better than expected, he ripped him and said he should have won six rings, then talked about Kobe's commitment to the game. I'm not trying to say Shaq works as hard as Kobe, but when you've got commentators actually suggesting that six rings is realistic expectation for anyone, and that finishing #5 all time in scoring is somehow a disappointment, it's getting kind of ridiculous.
Well at first Kobe was the one being bashed and Shaq was praised, Shaq is just getting a taste of his own medicine and knows how it feel.s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball