Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:32 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
So you are quick to claim I (among others) are out to bash philly or their fans all the while not knowing anything about them because I don't live there, all the while you claim to know about Houston fans, and how the media portrays them and their teams while not living there.

Who's the whiner? Hypocrite much?
It's not hypocrisy. What separates Philly from other cities is that it's the most misunderstood sports market. People from other sports markets seem to collectively bash or always have something negative to say about Philadelphia sports culture. The media is largely to blame for this as I have already addressed this in my previous posts. Keep in mind that I have said nothing bad about Houston. All I said was "fans don't put as much pressure on their teams like other big market cities do". That doesn't mean Houston has bad sports fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 06:55 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's not hypocrisy. What separates Philly from other cities is that it's the most misunderstood sports market. People from other sports markets seem to collectively bash or always have something negative to say about Philadelphia sports culture. The media is largely to blame for this as I have already addressed this in my previous posts. Keep in mind that I have said nothing bad about Houston. All I said was "fans don't put as much pressure on their teams like other big market cities do". That doesn't mean Houston has bad sports fans.
Wow! Whine much?

Maybe you should move to another city, see how THAT teams fans and sports culture is viewed. Philly isn't bashed any more than any other city, you're just ultra sensitive.

With that I'm done, no more feeding your whine.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
yup nobody wins a title without a solid team around them, something howard has NEVER HAD. you can not say he doesnt want to work hard, do you know him personally? have you watched him in the gym? have you seen him in the off season in person? shaq just wanted to have fun, shaq was always the "lets go have fun" guy. i can speak from experience, to an extent, he went to a rival high school in my home town (san antonio). id say shaq was more about having fun than howard could ever want to be.

see you lakers fans are so stuck on "working hard" because its well documented that kobe busts his butt. not many players do to the extent he does, thats a fact of life in the nba. you can not expect everyone to work like kobe, because if you do, you will ALWAYS be disappointed.

thats some pretty bold predictions. problem is thats not happening, not with the fat contract the lakers gave kobe for the next couple seasons. the lakers will be lucky to get kobe back 1/2 the player he was 2 years ago. giving 23+ mil per season to a 35+ yr old player who just tore his achilies, and jacked up his knee is not a good start to a rebuild. the lakers will not be the same old lakers now that jerry buss is gone. his son is kinda an idiot really. and all this isnt even counting the BS contract they gave to busted up steve nash.

best case scenario, lakers get the #1 pick. that gives them broken kobe, even more broken nash, the #1, robert sacre, and nick young on the books for about 40mil. that leaves them about 16 mil before the cap to sign free agents of which they will need a minimum of 9. they will get their full mid level exception worth what 5 mil? they will want to resign pau if they dont trade him away this season. cut his salary in half, thats roughly 10 mil. so now we are at 49-50 mil and still need 8 more players just to step on the court. did i mention that pau will be 34 next season? now surely they want jordan hill back but hes gonna want more than the 3.5 hes making this year, so lets give him the mid level exception and he gets 5mil. now youre at 54-55 mil and still need 7 players. so with all that said, what free agents are the lakers really going to sign? you know lebrons not coming, you know melos not coming and if he did, hes worse than howard could dream of being. so who is realistically going to come save the end of the kobe era and bring the lakers that coveted ring you expect in 2 seasons? kobe, pau, hill, and the #1 picks salaries will all go up after next season (provided those guys sign of course).

its a long rebuild in store for the lakers, unless they trade kobe of course.

now the rockets on the other hand might not get over the hump this year, but they have the youngest team in the league, 2 of the top 20 players (arguably the top 10) and once asik is traded (lin maybe as well) they will have more cap room and after next season they will actually likely have enough cap room to sign a 3rd max contract or at least 2 mid level role players while the lakers will be a year older and still not free of kobes contract.

hate on laker fan hate on.

I stand by what I said, the Lakers will a NBA championship before Houston will. My prediction is Houston will not win one in the Dwight Howard era.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:32 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Dwight is a good player, and he will make Houston better, but he won't make them champions, in fact they might not even make the conf. finals. Not this year and not next.

The Lakers are terrible right now, no doubt about it, and I hope they lose every game they play. We will get a high lottery pick, maybe the top pick! Lakers are about winning championship, not just about making the playoffs. With this team there is not doubt we need to rebuild, a lottery pick is a good start. Then a free agent or two, then in two years, we are competitive to win ANOTHER title. And Houston, will still be just decent 5th or 6th seed playoff team.
Quote:
I stand by what I said, the Lakers will a NBA championship before Houston will. My prediction is Houston will not win one in the Dwight Howard era.
actually you said the lakers will be competitive in 2 years. my entire post was based on that prediction, which is just silly.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Remember back when the Laker sucked about 6 years ago or so, Kobe was hinting about being traded and their run was "over". Well two years later, they were in the finals, the next year they won their first of two world champions. I think the same will happen again but maybe in 3 years.

Something will change with Jim Buss. He will either let Mitch Kupchak run the show, or he will be removed from his position. Maybe Jeanie will take over, she probably would do a better job. No, I know she will!!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Remember back when the Laker sucked about 6 years ago or so, Kobe was hinting about being traded and their run was "over". Well two years later, they were in the finals, the next year they won their first of two world champions. I think the same will happen again but maybe in 3 years.

Something will change with Jim Buss. He will either let Mitch Kupchak run the show, or he will be removed from his position. Maybe Jeanie will take over, she probably would do a better job. No, I know she will!!
I've given as much credit to the Lakers organization as anyone but I think a lot of you have rose colored glasses on. Bigtime.

Do I really have to start bumping the theads about how the Lakers would be back in the finals once Dwight and Nash signed?

Do I have to bump the championship predictions from the year before where the Lakers got bounced out of the playoffs by OKC because Kobe had clearly lost something?

Now I'm hearing a mere 2-3 rebuild and they will be a championship calibre team again?

You know they still owe two 1st round draft picks for Nash and Howard?

Then drafting a 19yo like a parker or wiggins etc., even if they get a topic pick means it's going to take 4-5 years before they start playing really great ball. (Just like it did for Kobe, Lebron and most others).

Do I have to repost the links about how top agents have off the record indicated thier guys don't really want to play with kobe at this stage of his career?

Do we need to discuss the huge payroll slice taken up by Kobe the next 2 years to apparantly watch games from the bench?

The Lakers have been a very well run team, top 3 in the league IMO. However, they've dug themselves into a bit of a hole with some questionable moves the last few years as well as the Kobe extension. I think 2-3 years rebuild to greatness is crazy talk...you might not see the playoffs for 3-4 years let alone a WCF or finals.

It took the Bulls around 10 years to get good again after Jordan and even then that's now been derailed by injury and they are also a pretty well run franchise.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
People from other sports markets seem to collectively bash or always have something negative to say about Philadelphia sports culture.
Specific to the NBA....nobody has really paid much attention to Philly in over a decade, let alone bash them.

They've been not bad or lucky enough to land a really mega draft pick and not good enough to really aggravate other teams fans.

It's not a dig on Philly, heck...my Bulls went through some really really lean years there post-Jordan where they were just this non-factor.

I think Philly will make a move again, it's not like they are the Knicks after all.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:02 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Specific to the NBA....nobody has really paid much attention to Philly in over a decade, let alone bash them.

They've been not bad or lucky enough to land a really mega draft pick and not good enough to really aggravate other teams fans.

It's not a dig on Philly, heck...my Bulls went through some really really lean years there post-Jordan where they were just this non-factor.

I think Philly will make a move again, it's not like they are the Knicks after all.
That's actually one thing I can agree with you on.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
That's actually one thing I can agree with you on.
Hey, I also agree with you that DH has been a whiney b*tch at points in his career as well. However, if you look at Orlando (one of the worst run franchises in the NBA) it's hard to blame him for 7 years spent there and frustration.

Then he goes to LA, plays hurt and has Kobe heaping the blame on him when just the year before it was Kobe that lost the OKC series for the team.

I'm not saying Dwight is awesome, just making fun of the meme that he was the problem in Orlando and LA and that now they are better off. They aren't.

I mean, if someone can't look at the Olajuwon at 50+ vs. Howard today thread and see utter stupidity....we will just have to agree to disagree and I can only pray those people get some professional help.

Dear lord, we have someone just recently talk about how much better Hibbert is and his numbers are 60% of DH.

It's just ridiculous at some point.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've given as much credit to the Lakers organization as anyone but I think a lot of you have rose colored glasses on. Bigtime.

Do I really have to start bumping the theads about how the Lakers would be back in the finals once Dwight and Nash signed?

Do I have to bump the championship predictions from the year before where the Lakers got bounced out of the playoffs by OKC because Kobe had clearly lost something?

Now I'm hearing a mere 2-3 rebuild and they will be a championship calibre team again?

You know they still owe two 1st round draft picks for Nash and Howard?

Then drafting a 19yo like a parker or wiggins etc., even if they get a topic pick means it's going to take 4-5 years before they start playing really great ball. (Just like it did for Kobe, Lebron and most others).

Do I have to repost the links about how top agents have off the record indicated thier guys don't really want to play with kobe at this stage of his career?

Do we need to discuss the huge payroll slice taken up by Kobe the next 2 years to apparantly watch games from the bench?

The Lakers have been a very well run team, top 3 in the league IMO. However, they've dug themselves into a bit of a hole with some questionable moves the last few years as well as the Kobe extension. I think 2-3 years rebuild to greatness is crazy talk...you might not see the playoffs for 3-4 years let alone a WCF or finals.

It took the Bulls around 10 years to get good again after Jordan and even then that's now been derailed by injury and they are also a pretty well run franchise.
The Lakers never rebuild solely from the draft, in fact I would say they never have. We've had two superstars that we have drafted in the last 40 years. Magic and James Worthy, even Kobe was a product from a trade.

The Lakers have a lot of NBA equity that only a few teams have. I have trust and faith they will be back very soon, because they always have in the past. And you can bump this thread in two years if you wish. Heck maybe I just might!! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball