Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 06:11 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,553,748 times

Advertisements

While i agree that MJ is in his own tier above everyone else, Marcus is in no position to talk like this. Here is a guy who struggles in college basketball against not so good competition. His brother isn't much better either.

Central Florida's Marcus Jordan: Kobe's still no Michael - The Dagger - NCAAB* - Yahoo! Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:04 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,215,081 times
Kobe is better than Michael. Agree Marcus is not in that position.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,326,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Kobe is better than Michael. Agree Marcus is not in that position.
Idiotic post. Glad nobody is stupid enough to cosign it, otherwise there'd be problems.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:48 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,587,019 times
A couple of things:

1. Marcus made himself look ignorant with this comment. He is not his father. Considering he is trying to follow in his father's footsteps as a basketball player calling out Kobe puts the attention on Marcus' own lack of hoops talent.

2. I hope this doesn't start the stupid MJ vs. Kobe debate. I don't know what is worse. Is it the people who want to compare guys who played on two different teams in different eras (when you take into account rule changes)? Or the ones who will fall over themselves to act like NO great players ever existed before Jordan?

Just as Magic and Larry's legacies seem to always be safe, so should Jordan's. Nothing any current does will ever undo Jordan's accomplishments. Its impossible. At the same time today's players shouldn't have to play under Jordan's shadow. These guys don't need to be held up to his standard and they don't need his blessing to be great.

Last edited by CaliDude1; 06-20-2010 at 12:07 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 02:45 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,408,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
While i agree that MJ is in his own tier above everyone else, Marcus is in no position to talk like this. Here is a guy who struggles in college basketball against not so good competition. His brother isn't much better either.

Central Florida's Marcus Jordan: Kobe's still no Michael - The Dagger - NCAAB* - Yahoo! Sports
MJ was great, but that certainly doesn't mean that other players will not be great in their own right, maybe even greater than MJ. Marcus sounds like one ignorant SOB, part of a generation that appears to resist showing respect for those who have come before them. He sounds like a very low-class, mediocre talent, probably better suited for unloading trucks at UPS than attempting to follow in his father's footsteps.

This young idiot needs to respect Kobe. After all, Kobe deserves it.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
A couple of things:

1. Marcus made himself look ignorant with this comment. He is not his father. Considering he is trying to follow in his father's footsteps as a basketball player calling out Kobe puts the attention on Marcus' own lack of hoops talent.

2. I hope this doesn't start the stupid MJ vs. Kobe debate. I don't know what is worse. Is it the people who want to compare guys who played on two different teams in different eras (when you take into account rule changes)? Or the ones who will fall over themselves to act like NO great players ever existed before Jordan?

Just as Magic and Larry's legacies seem to always be safe, so should Jordan's. Nothing any current does will ever undo Jordan's accomplishments. Its impossible. At the same time today's players shouldn't have to play under Jordan's shadow. These guys don't need to be held up to his standard and they don't need his blessing to be great.
I think so too. I think Kobe should be compared with players his own era and same for MJ. I think the reason why they compare the two is that they both play the same position.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:49 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,413,587 times
Marcus Jordan = truth

All the kid did was speak the truth. If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at Gatorade and Nike for trying to tell us Colby could even hold MJ's jock.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,326,847 times
^exactly.. since when do you have to be as good or better as the athletes you're comparing or talking about.. if that were the case there would be no sports pages in newspapers or sports analysts.. espn wouldnt exist.. no sports radio..
comparing kobe to the goat is stupid.
Jordan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 06-20-2010, 06:59 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,587,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Marcus Jordan = truth

All the kid did was speak the truth. If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at Gatorade and Nike for trying to tell us Colby could even hold MJ's jock.
So why pick the Finals MVP to make this comment about? How about any one of the "great" free agents who are all hyped beyond belief? One of them is a back to back regular season MVP. And his team (with the league's best record) failed to make the Finals yet again. He is the one everyone calls "King." Why try to dump on the guy who just lead his team to another championship? That's the dumb part about it.

What is Kobe supposed to do, try NOT to win a title so he doesn't upset the church of St. Jordan or one of his sons? Why didn't Marcus (or anyone) make those kinds of comments about Pierce two years ago? Paul claimed to be the best player in the world.

I get tired of Kobe being compared to MJ. I also get tired of LeBron getting compared to Magic (but that's another post). When Kobe is the ONLY guy people go out of their way to say is unequal to Jordan it has the opposite effect.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
So why pick the Finals MVP to make this comment about? How about any one of the "great" free agents who are all hyped beyond belief? One of them is a back to back regular season MVP. And his team (with the league's best record) failed to make the Finals yet again. He is the one everyone calls "King." Why try to dump on the guy who just lead his team to another championship? That's the dumb part about it.

What is Kobe supposed to do, try NOT to win a title so he doesn't upset the church of St. Jordan or one of his sons? Why didn't Marcus (or anyone) make those kinds of comments about Pierce two years ago? Paul claimed to be the best player in the world.

I get tired of Kobe being compared to MJ. I also get tired of LeBron getting compared to Magic (but that's another post). When Kobe is the ONLY guy people go out of their way to say is unequal to Jordan it has the opposite effect.
The reason why the writers have pondered the comparison of Kobe and MJ is that there is no doubt Kobe is the best player of this era right now. That should be a compliment to Kobe really. No one is comparing Wade or Lebron to MJ cause they're not worth comparing to MJ...at least for now. I do think Wade and LBJ don't have much of a supporting cast which i call scrubs, but that is another topic. If anything, Kobe should be pretty honored for people to even put him in the discussion with MJ.

You can be sure MJ is embarrassed with his son's comment. I bet he told him to shut the hell up after the article came out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball